PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Paul and States' Rights

DeadheadForPaul
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I was thinking about this when someone mentioned putting "States' Rights" on the newspaper ad

Does anyone else wonder if the term "States' Rights" might automatically turn some people off?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of States' Rights, and it's certainly part of his platform. However, I've begun to wonder if the average person thinks of African-Americans getting knocked down by hoses when they hear "States' Rights"

Was the slogan tainted by the racial problems of the 1960's? Does it automatically turn off most liberals and some moderates? I think it is worth considering

I'm not sure what could be used to replace the slogan with. Shouting "Decentralization!" doesnt really resonate with anyone LOL. Maybe "Ron Paul wants Local People making Local Decisions"

kylejack
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
State's rights is not a good phrase for an ad. Something that incorporates the phrase "one-size-fits-all" with regard to federal policies that Ron Paul opposes might be good...

JosephTheLibertarian
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
maybe...

"Equal Rights For All Individuals"

jmdrake
10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
The key is to point out how the federal government has been the main violator of individual rights in recent years. Ron Paul hinted at that during the debate hosted by Tavis Smiley when he talked about how blacks are being unfairly treated in the federal war on drugs and that he would end that at the federal level. He did the same when he talked about abolishing the federal death penalty. Same for ending the ability of the federal government to spy on people without warrant. Arguments like that, along with the way with minority voters.

Regards,

John M. Drake

d_goddard
10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Dr. Paul did a great job mentioning States' Rights with respect to medical marijuana in this video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3SYWDkWyXA