PDA

View Full Version : Romney dropping out = bad for us

JasonM
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Guys, if romney stayed in we *might* have had a fighting chance at a brokered convention.

But as he is dropping out, and with mccain where he is, the possibility of a brokered convention is looking increasingly out of the question. Huckabee and paul need to start winning every other primary from now on or else it's over. And, somehow, I think those delegates will go to mccain or huckabee unless we were diligent in the battle for the delegates and most of them go either to paul or huckabee.

No matter how you slice it, it's looking pretty bad. It's time to start concentrating on getting more Ron Paul people into congress and the Senate. We still need to concentrate on delegates, but unless we can steal votes from mccain it's over.

KevinR
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
we need another debate asap

ClayTrainor
02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Romney isn't dropping out. He's suspending his campaign this means, he still holds his delegates for the convention.

I also beleive that he can jump back in the race if he so chooses!

Thor
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM

I would bet McCain would not show up. If so, Debates are over.

BuddyRey
Guys, if romney stayed in we *might* have had a fighting chance at a brokered convention.

But as he is dropping out, and with mccain where he is, the possibility of a brokered convention is looking increasingly out of the question. Huckabee and paul need to start winning every other primary from now on or else it's over. And, somehow, I think those delegates will go to mccain or huckabee unless we were diligent in the battle for the delegates and most of them go either to paul or huckabee.

No matter how you slice it, it's looking pretty bad. It's time to start concentrating on getting more Ron Paul people into congress and the Senate. We still need to concentrate on delegates, but unless we can steal votes from mccain it's over.

We still have a shot at a brokered convention, because Romney's delegates have to go somewhere.

Give me liberty
Worst thread by far.

anewvoice
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM

In related news, all future debates cancelled due to only Huckabee showing up.

JasonM
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Worst thread by far.

Why? Cuz it might be true? At this point the whole campaign hinges on a battle at a brokered convention, which means that there had to be multiple candidates with no clear front runner.

Lets face it. We NEEDED Giuliani to win florida to steal votes from Mccain. Fred Thompson needed to win South Carolina to split up Romney's vote. Once those two skipped out, the media turned it into a mccain vs romney fight, and now the narrative will be that mccain practically has it in the bag.

I'm being realistic when I say that we need to focus on the more local scene and concentrate on getting the Revolutionaries into congress. If all you conspiracy nuts are right, then this will not get to the convention. Prove me wrong next week by winning the next 3 primaries, but all this means is that huck and mccain will split the romney voters.

ProfNo
02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
We were loosing a lot of votes to Romney. With everyone else out, McCain might get lazy, and we might get the "protest vote" against McCain. If we could win a state, it would change everything.

JasonM
02-07-2008, 04:35 PM
In related news, all future debates cancelled due to only Huckabee showing up.

Even if mccain showed up, this is how it would look like in terms of time if there was an hour and a half long debate:

mccain: 33 minutes

huckabee: 12

paul: 6

moderater: 10

commercials: 30 (5 of which are "vote for mccain" commercials)

This, of course, is based on past trends so far.

ItsTime
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
thread = bad

JasonM
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
We were loosing a lot of votes to Romney. With everyone else out, McCain might get lazy, and we might get the "protest vote" against McCain. If we could win a state, it would change everything.

Eh, the "protest vote" would go to huckabee due to the fact that evangelicals and other conservatives couldn't stand mccain. If either huck or romney dropped out before super tuesday, either of them would have been about equal to mccain in delegate count, and maybe huck would even be ahead of mccain. If nothing else, this will galvanize the evangelicals to mount an effort to stop mccain.

However, we still have to pick up enough delegates from both sides to keep either one of them from reaching the magic number of delegates.

That's where we are in the game.

JasonM
02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
bump