PDA

View Full Version : Romney Is Not Out Of The Race

AlexMerced
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Romney is not out of the race he just suspended his campaign

you have to realize he would of chosen to drop out unless he had some plan, which he does. We know Romney always ha a plan.

If he continued to campaign Mccain would win outright

this way Huckabee can sweep the ramining state and gaurantee a brokered convention

on the way there, Mccain and Huckabee will be head to head, and ROmney will be acting like he's some classic conservative as we saw today at CPAC improving his image

Why? For a Brokered convention

But it's out people who are the delegates, his plan will give us the win

mexicanpizza
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
That's exactly what I thought. If he was really dropping out it would've pushed McCain... :/

MrZach
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Sounds like he's putting himself out there - "Hey guys, I'll drop out of the race for the right offer."

tpreitzel
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

you have to realize he would of chosen to drop out unless he had some plan, which he does. We know Romney always ha a plan.

this way Huckabee can sweep the ramining state and gaurantee a brokered convention

on the way there, Mccain and Huckabee will be head to head, and ROmney will be acting like he's some classic conservative as we saw today at CPAC improving his image

Oh, I was simply listening to all the chatter on Romney's exodus. I thought that he actually dropped out. This additional information does change the picture.

sgrooms
wrong. the GOP is going to re-distribute his delegates. check cnnpolitics.com

AlexMerced
no, he wants the nod

AlexMerced
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Wrong... near all his delegates are from cacuses, that's why they are reestimating it cause they'll be going elsewhere now.

I think he'll be keeping his michigan and New Hampshire delegates

Redcard
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM

And by redistribute, we mean, give them to McCain mostly, Huck secondly and Paul if there are two or three left over.

tpreitzel
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM

I'm growing more confused by the minute. I'll just sit back in my easy chair for a tad sipping on some hot tea.

Chester Copperpot
Sounds like he's putting himself out there - "Hey guys, I'll drop out of the race for the right offer."

perhaps.

seapilot
This will bring blowback to Romney, as he may lose a lot of unbound delegates at state conventions. Whats to say he wont completly withdrawl since hes not actively campaigning?

AlexMerced
Just saying, sadly... our best shot is to push huckabee and gaureanteee a borkered convention...

ARealConservative
02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
If he wishes to now ask for matching funds - this is the way to go about it.

He will take those matching funds and use them to pay himself back on some of the loans he made to his campaign.

constitutional
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM

He will take those matching funds and use them to pay himself back on some of the loans he made to his campaign.

Matching funds are strictly regulated by the federal government, you can't cash it into your personal account.

AlexMerced
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM

the backlash of doing that would ruin every political ambition he has

he's still in good position to win this year, and for strong run in 2012

No1ButPaul08
02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Just saying, sadly... our best shot is to push huckabee and gaureanteee a borkered convention...

Thank you, I created a thread here, that got moved to the convention forum. That has a plan that goes about doing exactly that. I have been called a troll for this and reported, so I'm not going to link the post

Quantumystic
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Sorry, but you're totally wrong.
Romney the Business Investor took a hard look after super Tuesday at the remaining states, and realised that nobody would walk into the convention with the minimum number of delegates to have the nomination cinched. That means a brokered convention. Which is the LAST thing Romney wanted because NOBODY will deal with him.

Romney plays the kind of hardball that opponents remember with much contempt and desire to return the favor. A brokered convention is exactly the situation that would shut Romney out completely, so what point is there in spending millions more of his own money at this time? NONE.

Saying "suspended" instead of "dropping out" is nothing more than Romney's ego refusing to allow him to say he's actually been beaten. Nothing more.

AlexMerced
02-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Sorry, but you're totally wrong.
Romney the Business Investor took a hard look after super Tuesday at the remaining states, and realised that nobody would walk into the convention with the minimum number of delegates to have the nomination cinched. That means a brokered convention. Which is the LAST thing Romney wanted because NOBODY will deal with him.

Romney plays the kind of hardball that opponents remember with much contempt and desire to return the favor. A brokered convention is exactly the situation that would shut Romney out completely, so what point is there in spending millions more of his own money at this time? NONE.

Saying "suspended" instead of "dropping out" is nothing more than Romney's ego refusing to allow him to say he's actually been beaten. Nothing more.

they would deal with him if Huckabee and Mccain attack each other between now and september.

R_Harris
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
And by redistribute, we mean, give them to McCain mostly, Huck secondly and Paul if there are two or three left over.

Help me out on that one.

We know Romney won Nevada, and Ron came in second.

Would they therefore not go ahead and re-distribute his delegates by the new percentages for each remaining candidate given his elimination? That would obviously give a big boost to Ron, effectively making him the winner of that caucus. I would think this would also be the case for Montana, Maine, and every other applicable caucus where Ron had a decent percentage.

ARealConservative
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Matching funds are strictly regulated by the federal government, you can't cash it into your personal account.

He doesn't have to.

He uses the money to pay back loans he made to run a political campaign.

Redcard
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Help me out on that one.

Would they therefore not go ahead and re-distribute his delegates by the new percentages for each remaining candidate given his elimination? That would obviously give a big boost to Ron, effectively making him the winner of that caucus. I would think this would also be the case for Montana, Maine, and every other applicable caucus where Ron had a decent percentage.

Not necessarily. It's all about how the state GOP leadership decides to redistribute them.

I fear these all go to McCain.

fezzler
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
John Edwards "suspended" his campaign as well. Do you think he's coming back too? It's just semantics, it means nothing.

No1ButPaul08
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
John Edwards "suspended" his campaign as well. Do you think he's coming back too? It's just semantics, it means nothing.

He's got delegates in a brokered convention....

sharedvoice
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Romney is officially out. You folks watch CNN way too much...

CNN "Romney suspends his campaign"

ABC News: "Romney Abandons Bid for GOP Presidential Nomination"
CBS News: "Romney exits presidential race"
FOX News: "Mitt Quits Race"

See any difference?

Redcard
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
He's got delegates in a brokered convention....

John Edwards is a democrat.

They keep their pledged delegates no matter what until they were unbound. (Conversely, they have more at large unpledged delegates.)

You're a republican. So is Mitt Romney. So his delegates get divided up and reassigned by the states.

R_Harris
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Not necessarily. It's all about how the state GOP leadership decides to redistribute them.

I fear these all go to McCain.

Then for a scenario like this, what is the point of participating in a caucus or voting in a priimary?

So much for Democracy, huh?

Thomas Paine
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
In other words, Romney may change his mind about whether he is seeking the GOP nomination or not. How typical of a flip flopper.

Redcard
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Then for a scenario like this, what is the point of participating in a caucus or voting in a priimary?

So much for Democracy, huh?

Hey, I'm a democrat by normal terms and a republican for just this one guy.

We do it just fine over there. It's your party. It's corrupt and has been for years.

Truth be told, it is over. You do realize that. McCain is the blessed one. And even if he's not, the blessed one isn't Paul.

The Republican party is built in such a manner that it can easily be controlled by the elites.

JasonM
02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Help me out on that one.

That's a good point. Then again, these delegates might be free to choose whoever they want too.

seapilot
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
That's a good point. Then again, these delegates might be free to choose whoever they want too.

In the not winner take all states this is what the freed up delegates will do. A portion of the delegates will be undecided even at the national convention, unbound delegates can vote for whoever is left. This can be a huge advantage for us if a lot of the delegates elected to state conventions are suddenly are unbound by Romney dropping out after winning the presidental preference poll. For those that are still on the fence to become a state delegate its time to do it in the upcoming caucuses primaries.

A good example is Maine where Romney won the popular vote but Ron Paul has a large proportion of people that were elected delegates to the state convention.

Who are they going to vote for in the first round of voting will be Ron Paul. Huckabee and McCain will likely be eliminated and Ron Paul will end up with the majority of delegates from that state. This scenario can repeat all over the country while the media dreams of McCain vs Hillary.

sands
02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
It's over for Romney folks...

Maltheus
02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
You're a republican. So is Mitt Romney. So his delegates get divided up and reassigned by the states.

In most states, his delegates will vote for whomever they want. Most caucus state delegates haven't even pick their guy yet. The news is jump superimposing the straw poll results on the delegate counts. It's all a guess.

Alawn
02-07-2008, 05:35 PM
There is no such thing as just suspending. He dropped out. And anyway they have no control over the delegates. Delegates are controlled by primary binding rules only when they apply. Even if Mitt told all of the delegates to vote for McCain it means nothing. They never have to do what he says.

AlexMerced
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
There is no such thing as just suspending. He dropped out. And anyway they have no control over the delegates. Delegates are controlled by primary binding rules only when they apply. Even if Mitt told all of the delegates to vote for McCain it means nothing. They never have to do what he says.

yes, he is not formally out of the race, the bound delegates he does offically his, as of now are still bound to vote for him

He's just not actively campaigning anymore, but he has not removed himself from the race in a formal manner

and there must be reasons for that

Doriath
02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Most caucus state delegates haven't even pick their guy yet. The news is jump superimposing the straw poll results on the delegate counts. It's all a guess.

Ding. We have a winner. And if the anecdotal reports we heard from RP supporters in Nevada, Maine and Colorado are representative of a wider trend -- that Mitt supporters were happy to show up and vote but not interested much in being delegates (state delegates, that is, who will elect the national delegates) -- then Mitt's withdrawal is great news.