PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 ?

chudrockz
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Good day all.

I'm still in the hunt (so-to-say) for a good rifle. I did not (yet) pick up an sks but am still considering it. My wife is skeptical, though. And the Gander Mountain card (dammit) is in her name.

I was there though the other day and came across a Remington 700 (7mm I think). With a scope. New, for $400.

Good gun? Good price?? I liked the feel of it at the store, anyhow. My coworker said it's really good for knocking a deer down. :)

pickdog
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
7mm is expensive to shoot. Rem 700 is a good choice though.

alexpasch
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
The 7mm tends to have a slightly flatter trajectory, making it good for longer shots.

Kingfisher
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
The 7mm tends to have a slightly flatter trajectory, making it good for longer shots.

It will also make your wallet flatter if you shoot much.......lol

sfws09
02-07-2008, 05:56 PM
i shoot a Rem 700 .300 win. mag. topped with a Zeise (sp?) 3x12x56

I. LOVE. IT.

Great gun.

pcosmar
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
It is on my wish list, should I ever regain my rights.
Model 700™ VSF™ Left-Hand, only I would chose the 308.
http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/lh/700vsf_lh%5B1%5D.jpg

Jim_Karr
02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
You want a rifle also that rounds can be found when you won't be able to go to the store to buy ammo if something does come down in America. 7mm would not be my first choice for that thought. A 30 caliber would be a better choice for when SHTF. Ammo galore can be found. And alot cheaper to operate.

xj0hnx
02-09-2008, 12:16 AM
It will also make your wallet flatter if you shoot much.......lol

Reloading makes shooting a lot, a lot more bearable. The initial hit for supplies is not too bad either, a decent die, a small press, and a method for measuring powder. I have a hundred cases I have reloaded about ten times and they are still good to go. But $400 bucks is a good price, my guess is the scope is a low power, and probably not too good for that price. A good piece of glass is worth every penny, do not skimp on the optic, it is not uncommon to see scopes worth more than the rifle they are on.

Conservative Christian
02-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Good day all.

I'm still in the hunt (so-to-say) for a good rifle. I did not (yet) pick up an sks but am still considering it. My wife is skeptical, though. And the Gander Mountain card (dammit) is in her name.

I was there though the other day and came across a Remington 700 (7mm I think). With a scope. New, for $400.

Good gun? Good price?? I liked the feel of it at the store, anyhow. My coworker said it's really good for knocking a deer down.

Depends what you want a rifle for.

If you're interested primarily in hunting, it's a worthy choice. If you're interested mostly in self-defense, you should go with a military style semi-auto with a 20-round magazine capacity.