PDA

View Full Version : Terminally Ill Not Allowed To Take Medicine

Matt Collins
08-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Dying Patients Can't Take Unapproved Medicine

Do mentally sound, terminally ill patients have a constitutional right to choose to take promising experimental drugs not yet approved by the FDA?

No. Not even if it would save their lives, declared the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, in an 8-2 ruling Tuesday, August 07:

"This case presents the question whether the Constitution provides terminally ill patients a right of access to experimental drugs that have passed limited safety trials but have not been proven safe and effective. . . . we conclude that there is no fundamental right 'deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition' of access to experimental drugs for the terminally ill . . ."

Full FDA testing and approval for a new drug can take up to 10 years -- a long time to wait, if you're terminally ill.

The Abigail Alliance for Better Access to Developmental Drugs had argued that dying patients should have access to unapproved medicines that have cleared early safety tests.

Ironically, every drug the Abigail Alliance has sought access to over the past six years eventually was approved by the FDA... but too late for many patients.

The ruling is bad news for dying patients who might benefit from promising new drugs. However, perhaps they will take some comfort, as they suffer and die, in knowing that the FDA protected them from possible side-effects of drugs that might have saved their lives.

The Abigail Alliance plans to appeal to the Supreme Court.

(Sources: http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0723277720070807
http://volokh.com/posts/1186495767.shtml )

PennCustom4RP
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I say if you're terminally ill, and can get the drugs, by any means necessary, take them.
Whats the worst that can happen to an already terminally ill person taking these unapproved drugs, it kills them? Some people believe in holistic herbal treatments that may or may not do a thing, and the Govt allows this, as this is that persons freedom.
Taking these unapproved meds would also potentially hasten the approval of such drugs, either they work or don't. The FDA will know success rates from these terminally ill patients who took the risk to live. Voluntary Guinea Pigism, I'm for it.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM

PennCustom4RP
08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
. . . we conclude that there is no fundamental right 'deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition' of access to experimental drugs for the terminally ill . . ."

(Sources: http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0723277720070807
http://volokh.com/posts/1186495767.shtml )
This strikes me as odd.
Considering the medical knowledge of those who constructed the Constitution, where bleeding for any illness was commonplace, butter on a burn, and any of the other 'treatments' that we now know as wrong...If these methods weren't experimental, what is?
Isn't the right to life and self preservation in that document somewhere?

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Tsoman
08-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I just don't understand.... I thought it was fairly clear

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved for the States respectively, or to the people.

Mesogen
08-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Not to my knowledge. There is the "life, liberty, etc" in the DOI, but that plays no role in US law.

5th amendment:

No person shall... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

Do they think they have given the terminally ill "due process" in order to deprive them of life and liberty? I guess that's what they think.

Mesogen
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I just don't understand.... I thought it was fairly clear

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved for the States respectively, or to the people.

Supposedly they think that they were delegated the power in the judiciary to determine who gets to take what medicine if they are dying.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-10-2007, 01:08 AM

Matt Collins
12-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Hopefully Ron can abolish the FDA