PDA

View Full Version : Do We Stay as Reps or Do We Go?

bobbyw24
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.nolanchart.com/article2537.html

Ron Paul Supporters Do We Stay or Do We Go?
The debate is raging across the blogosphere. Ron Paul supporters, the revolutionists brought together by his message, are trying to decide if the movement should stay affiliated with the Republican Party or move allegiance to a third party or none at all. Here’s my take on the question which can be filed in the ‘for what it’s worth’ file...by Gary Wood
(Conservative Libertarian)

As the Super Tuesday results came in the commentary surrounding this issue seemed to escalate beyond the murmur it had been. More are realizing there really is a very slim hope of obtaining the Republican nomination. Still, a large majority are realizing this campaign is more about the message than the nomination. The revolutionary movement to restore the United States seems bent on moving forward. There's a lot of good strategies being discussed and acted upon. However, one of those strategies (finding like-minded candidates to run for office) is helping to fuel the debate on what party affiliation the revolutionists should unite under or if there should be any party affiliation at all. Let's take a quick look at some of the main parties being discussed as possible homes for those supporting Dr. Paul's message.

Republican Party (GOP): Clearly the elite of the GOP doesn't embrace the very core written beliefs appearing on county party sites across the country (see Why Am I a Ron Paul Republican). There are many angry supporters fed up with the treatment received by the party throughout the campaign. It appears to be on a course toward destruction but should it be allowed to implode and fade away? Some feel if Ron Paul supporters maintain membership with the GOP, within the Republican Liberty Caucus, the group will be best position to take over the party as it implodes. Labeled a major' party the current usurped structure of Congress and prejudiced Presidential Primary process (say that three times fast) favors capturing the party as the first major prize of the new revolution.

Libertarian Party (LP): Due to the fact Dr. Paul was the 1988 LP Presidential candidate many, from the MSM to his rivals and supporters, assume he's libertarian. Looking at his entire voting record and stances on policy issues it becomes apparent he's not a purist. Many LP members say they won't vote for him due to his stance on immigration as an example. A number of revolutionists backed him due to the nature of a more conservative leaning libertarian philosophy. There may be enough of a shared platform to attract many to the LP party yet many will not join. Also, unless the LP has matured, there is too much in-fighting for "power" positions within the party to ever grow to the size it should have reached by now. There is a great deal in common regarding many platform issues however.

Constitution Party (CP): By name alone this sounds like the perfect marriage. Ron Paul is the defender of the Constitution. Revolutionists want to restore the U.S. to its Federalist Republic roots as outlined in the Constitution. On the surface a better match can not be found. However, there are enough revolutionists that would be hesitant to join a party whose preamble clearly defines the Creator as Jesus Christ. Everywhere Creator is used in their platform issues they mean Jesus Christ. Although it is true the Constitutional Convention had its share of Christians among the 55 enlightened men many were also Deist while still other faiths or beliefs were represented. There was never a definition of the Creator in the Declaration of Independence as the definition differed among the framers of the Declaration as well as it differed among the Constitutional Convention representatives. Is that enough to keep many revolutionists from joining this otherwise closely aligned party?

Revolutionist Party: This is a fictitious third party as I write this, although there is The Revolution' party. Actually, there are roughly 53 recognized political parties, the two major parties and 51 so called third parties. There are calls to completely break from all party affiliation and develop a new third party in the United States, joining the ranks of these many others. Most calling for this action may or may not be aware of the complexities of developing a truly serious third party. With the many free thinkers attracted to the campaign for liberty it may prove quite an extensive process simply to agree on a well worded platform let alone develop party hierarchy across the country.

No Party at All: As a gelled group of Independents there is a chance to vote with the candidate of closest alignment to the needs of the revolution. This has some inherent challenges largely due to the nature of election laws set by each state party. There is no clear acceptance from state to state regarding open primary voting. In a national election Independent voters are able to cast their vote for the candidate of their choice, the one they want the state electors to vote for. As an Independent organization each revolutionist would be free to choose whomever they wanted to support which could appeal to a wider base and cause less splintering of the group since it requires no party.

I'm hoping this brief article will spark some good debate while helping us quickly decide what direction we are going to go as an organized group. The wrong thing to do is splinter apart since the revolution so vital to the restoration of our Federalist Republic will weaken. For that reason alone I'll share my opinion on whether we stay or go. What I think we should choose is any option individuals want for voting while seriously considering forming a Political Action Committee (PAC). Call it the "Revolutionists Against Constitutional Erosion" if we want to play a whole new RACE card. Call it whatever the group decides.

PACs are relatively easy to form and can wield a lot of influence. By definition a PAC is nothing more than a private group organized to elect or defeat government officials and/or promote legislation. We need to do both in order to restore the United States. Another advantage to organizing a PAC is it will allow members of the organization to choose any party affiliation they desire. If you want to be in the GOP, LP, CP, or Independent that is each member's personal choice. There's no risk or worry about splintering the organization over a debate of party affiliation. We can focus on the important aspects of two core needs; education and involvement. Should we care what party a candidate is with as long as they share the beliefs of the PAC? How about having every candidate coming to us to convince us they are the one we should endorse and why?! As a Congressional candidate I remember making the rounds to several PAC committees who grilled me relentlessly to see if I was going to be their candidate or not. We can hold our 'Moment of Truth' with the folks wanting to represent we the people!

In conclusion I simply state whether we stay or whether we go we should definitely PAC!

----------------------------------- Recent Articles by Gary ----------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jae0
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Ron Paul will decide whats best. He's in the only position to know what shoul dbe done.

Feelgood
02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Idiots, wish I could add them to my ignore list. Ron Paul is not running third party, period.

TurtleBurger
02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Ron Paul will decide whats best. He's in the only position to know what shoul dbe done.

Exactly. We can debate it until we're blue in the face, but in the end we're going to do whatever Ron wants to do, and that's the way it should be. It's not our job that is on the line here.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
nt

AlexMerced
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
i'll follow Ron Paul, with romneys brilliant play today, a brokered convention is now almost certain

literatim
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
People should join the Republican Liberty Caucus and other organization that are made to return the GOP to its roots. Work within your local GOP to change the direction. All we need to do is root ourselves in the GOP and we will eventually take it over.

Dave39168
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
People should join the Republican Liberty Caucus and other organization that are made to return the GOP to its roots. Work within your local GOP to change the direction. All we need to do is root ourselves in the GOP and we will eventually take it over.

+1776, this is the way to go. Will be much easier to actually accomplish something this way. I know the party is discouraging, but instead of hating them, change the party starting locally.