PDA

View Full Version : Useless forum for Edwards Supporters

The Winch
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I've read only two threads that even mention his name at least once and from those threads I learned that
1) One Ron Paul supporter covets Edwards support merely because of the number of voters who voted for Edwards
2) One Ron Paul supporter slammed Edwards for the main reason that people voted for him

That's it.

REALLY lame.

As a donor to both Paul and Edwards campaign, I could easily produce much USEFUL information, but why bother? It seems clear to me that the Ron Paul supporters don't really care to attract Edwards supporters (other than the person who created this particular forum or at least added his name to it if it originally started out as the Welcome for Kucinich Supporters forum).

It saddened me enough when John Edwards suspended his campaign. It only gets worse reading this forum.

Why can't you people just accept that there is more than one way to get to the same goal?

Lou337
02-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't take the posts in a bad way. Most users here only go to the grassroots central or official news parts of the forum and are focusing only on the candidates blasting ron or on canvassing.

jmdrake
02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
It's funny. Years ago when I was a democrat I had a friend who was a republican/libertarian. Now he leans more democrat and supported Edwards and while I support Ron Paul. (That reminds me. I forgot to contact him when Edwards dropped out and ask for his support for Paul. My bad. :( I'm not sure he would have supported Paul anyway because he favored universal healthcare.)

Anyway, here are my props to John Edwards. He stuck to his message about poverty even though he wasn't winning any primaries with it. He admitted that voting for the Iraq war was a mistake, something Hillary Clinton STILL can't bring herself to do. And he seemed to be running a populist campaign. I don't agree with him on several fronts but he's a decent person. I have to ask you though. As an Edwards supporter how did you pick Ron Paul as your second instead of Barack Obama? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did. I'm just curious. I can easily see why an Edwards supporter might not like Hillary.

Regards,

John M. Drake

muh_roads
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
The Winch,

I'd love it if you used your knowledge to create "an open letter to Edwards supporters".

I'd pass it around to all the democrat people I know.

ronpaulyourmom
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Edwards was my favorite dem candidate.

hillertexas
02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
work on Mitt's forum...
http://www.votemittromney.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=508&PN=1&TPN=8

spacehabitats
02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
...and every other fellow traveler. I have always believed that the divisions between liberal/conservative, right-wing/left-wing, etc. were largely creations by the establishment to keep us from focusing on the issues that truly are important to us. The threat to the power brokers and the Neo-Fascist globalists is that we will wake up from our media-induced coma and see that THEY are the real enemy.

I personally liked Edwards criticism of corporate greed and attacks on irresponsible union-busting globalization. Ultimately it is power to the people that will give us the leverage we need to return real prosperity and re-energize the American Dream. Unfortunately, I, like you, have found a large blind spot in many of my fellow RP supporters when it comes to the virtues of other candidates. But hang in their, and help us define those core values that should unite us.

We need your help and perspective.
Good luck!

The Winch
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I've got some really urgent critical personal things to spend all night writing up, so I can't write an open letter to Edwards supporters. Also, since Edwards "suspended" his campaign rather than completely dropping out I'm still a little torn and not past the grieving period. In fact, just this Tuesday I voted for Edwards in the Democrats Abroad Global Primary (the Republicans stupidly don't have such a thing), because I couldn't stomach voting for Obama or Clinton and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have voted in the Washington State Republican Party via absentee ballot by Feb 19 when Edwards only dropped out a few weeks before.

But to spend a few minutes looking at the presentation I did on Edwards, I'd bring up these points that Edwards supporters would want to look at Ron Paul for:

Silly trivial stuff (haircuts) are never something that concerns a candidate with the integrity of Ron Paul

Ron Paul has been true to his causes supporting individuals for many decades

Iraq War - actually Ron Paul has been a much more consistent opponent of this than Edwards (sometimes this was my biggest problem with Edwards)

Both want to restore the civil liberties taken away by Bush

Both want to help poor people (though admittedly they often take radically different approaches to getting there... I'm currently ambivalent about which approach is better)

Both believe they have a solution to all people getting proper healthcare (once again they have radically different approaches to getting there).

I think in the case of these radically different approaches, Edwards supporters should open their mind to honestly deeply evaluate Ron Paul's opposite approaches to getting to the same goal. I think it is too easy to paint Ron Paul's approaches as typical Republican cold-hearted pandering (i.e. like Giuliani). And I think if you've had experience with people who are poor (or have been one yourself) you might look at the issues of healthcare access and poverty with a more nuanced and grayish view, than if you have never had major problems in your life and just view these issues from a theoretical viewpoint.

I was always heartened when I'd hear Ron Paul say, "I'm not just going to abolish XYZ overnight, there needs to be a transition". That's so much more realistic than the simplistic platitudes you hear from leading candidates from both parties.

I recently heard that Adam Smith also didn't believe in radical swift change to 100% free trade. Politicians who don't consider psychology (i.e. how humans react) shouldn't be making policy. Ron Paul seems more thoughtful about the complexity of human interaction. Probably comes from being a doctor rather than a lawyer or CEO.

Anyway, I'm way behind on doing something much more human and critical to my life than posting on political blogs. It's a fun diversion, but I gotta go now.

Thanks for your responses on this thread. Just these few messages have in my view greatly increased the usefulness of this particular forum/subsection.

The Winch
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
work on Mitt's forum...

I have only one response to this:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=149205
(vote for DJ :D)

Eponym_mi
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
work on Mitt's forum...

Jeez...what a bunch of assholes! And I'm talking about the RP supporters posting over there. Showing up on their forum and insulting them will surely attract followers. WTG!:rolleyes:

affa
02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
well, you can either post threads with subjects like this one, or you could post something positive about Ron Paul that you think might help Edwards supporters on the fence.