PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else realize we just won Nevada?

skgai
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
With Romney out we will get virtually all of the delegates. We might have had the most state deleagtes already, but now they won't vote for Romney and might not even show up because they don't care anymore. Maine too!!! Hell, throw in Minnesota, North Dakota, Alaska and Montana!!! This is great news!

Jae0
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Dont get over confident.

sgrooms
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
thats why he suspended his campaign and didn't drop out. so he can still keep his delegates

Dequeant
02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
He "suspended" his campaign, which is different from Rudy's dropping out.

He will retain his delegates all the way to a convention, and use them for bargaining. That's my understanding anyway.

skgai
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
But the caucus state, other than Montana, haven't actually chosen the national delegates yet! They're not bound to chose anyone from their meaningless straw poll. If I was a Romney delegate I would probably skip the state convention since my candidate "suspended" his campaign or at least vote for somebody else.

acroso
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Those are committed delegates....that means whoever Romney endorses....will go for McStain...assuming he endorses McStain!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f317/acroso/suicide-voters-for-Obama.jpg

skgai
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
All of the caucus states are unpledged delegates. They don't have to vote for who they say they will.

JoshLowry
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Do not post that image in any more threads.

Thanks.

lvp1138
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Incorrect. Nevada delegates are not bound to the straw poll winner. The county convention is at the end of February. I am one of the delegates.

skgai
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Incorrect? That's what I said.

acroso
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Not true.....some caucus states are obligates...some aren't...at least I'm pretty sure. Iowa's are bound for example...

pacelli
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
He keeps his delegates. When McCain offers Romney the VP spot & Romney accepts, McCain gets all the delegates & wins the nomination.

McCain has 697 pledged delegates & 17 RNC delegates (714 total). Romney has 286 pledged delegates & 0 RNC delegates. If Romney's delegates go to McCain, he's got 1000 on the nose.

Republicans need 1,191 delegate votes for the nomination.

Dequeant
02-07-2008, 12:44 PM
From CNN:

Suspending a campaign has a different meaning depending on the party.

On the Republican side, decisions on how to allocate delegates is left to the state parties.

On the Democratic side, a candidate who "suspends" is technically still a candidate, so he or she keeps both district and statewide delegates won through primaries and caucuses. Superdelegates are always free to support any candidate at any time, whether the candidate drops out, suspends or stays in.

It's up to the states on how to award candidates. We may have a good shot in the arm of delegates, since Ron Paul now takes first in many states.

RoyalShock
02-07-2008, 12:44 PM
All of the caucus states are unpledged delegates. They don't have to vote for who they say they will.

Not true. Kansas is a caucus state this year. Their delegate are bound by law to vote for the popular vote winner.

lvp1138
02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Incorrect? That's what I said.

My mistake. I was answering one of the posts above who said they were bound. I forgot to "quote" :)

skgai
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Wrong. You guys are listening too much to CNN. McCain only has 500 or so pledged delegates so far. The rest either haven't yet been decided or aren't pledged at all. For instance, he won Illinois, but none of those delegates, who have yet to be decided have to vote for him.

Iowa's delegates are not bound. I'm from here. The straw poll there is meaningless. They still have county, district and state conventions to go. Most of the caucus states have unpledged delagates and they can vote for whom they choose.

jointhefightforfreedom
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
With Romney out we will get virtually all of the delegates. We might have had the most state deleagtes already, but now they won't vote for Romney and might not even show up because they don't care anymore. Maine too!!! Hell, throw in Minnesota, North Dakota, Alaska and Montana!!! This is great news!

Technically NOT until he drops out!
He has susspended his campaign not dropped out if he does not officially drop out
he keeps his delegates

I think he is trying to secure a VP spot with mccain
which is why he susspended not dropped out

pahs1994
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
too bad he didn't drop 3 days ago.. we could have scored some wins

Dequeant
02-07-2008, 12:54 PM
He doesn't "keep" his delegates. The state repub parties decides how to divvy them up to other candidates.

Reading is fundamental.

Eponym_mi
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Not true.....some caucus states are obligates...some aren't...at least I'm pretty sure. Iowa's are bound for example...

No...IA's delegates are unbound.

skgai
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
You guys the delegates in Alaska, Minnesota, Iowa, Maine and Nevada have not been decided and even if they had they don't have to vote for a certain candidate. None of the national delegates have been decided yet and the people who said they'd vote for Romney don't have to. Yes, in North Dakota and Montana those delegates are pledged. Romney took 25 in Montana and in North Dakota he got 10, McCain got 6, Paul got 5 and Huckabee got 5. But in the other states the delegates have not been chosen and won't be until their state conventions in March, April, May and June. The Romney delegates might not show up or vote for someone else entirely (knowing our luck they'd all vote for McCain), but the point is this is the only way Paul has a shot at winning.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
with Romney in suspended animation, the only delegates he will keep are those bound by law.
No caucus will vote a Romney delegate in. This strongly favors us.

Vet_from_cali
02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
thats why he suspended his campaign and didn't drop out. so he can still keep his delegates

owned?

amy31416
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Down boy. I get your excitement, but wait for facts.

MODS? CAN WE GET THIS MOVED OR HAVE A DISCLAIMER PUT ON THE TITLE?

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:01 PM
What facts? Any questions about the delegate process check out www.thegreenpapers.com or go to each state's respective republican party website. It's all there.

Redcard
02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
What makes you think that this isn't a McMitt deal going on here?

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
What makes you think there is a McMitt deal? Even if there were, all Romney supporters wouldn't jump on that bandwagon I don't think. But you may be right and this race is already over. Hell, the Seattle Times just gave the GOP nod to McCain. Its on their main page. They didn't even mention Ron Paul in there article so things still aren't that great.

literatim
02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I think some people don't understand. In most states, including caucus states, only state delegates have been decided and in a lot of them, they were unbound to begin with. No one can dictate who these people vote for, they get to decide. There has only been a single caucus state that has elected national delegates and that is Montana which are bound to Romney.

mikeInAZ
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
We need the fax jack. This is confusing.

WilliamC
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I sure as heck Ron Paul has good people in his campaign that are on top of this delegate situation.

Much better than they are on top of, say, national advertising :)

JordanQ72
02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
They're not bound to chose anyone from their meaningless straw poll.

Um, yes they are...

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
No they're not. Prove to me that they are, other than Montana and North Dakota. Do not keep spreading falsehoods.

sharedvoice
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Those are committed delegates....that means whoever Romney endorses....will go for McStain...assuming he endorses McStain!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f317/acroso/suicide-voters-for-Obama.jpg

Incorrect.

First it is highly unlikely that Romney would endorse McCain, who was virtually called everything but a liberal by Romney.

Second, even in the wildest possibility that if he did endorse McCain that would not force committed delegates to John McFonda. They would remain pledged, or go uncommitted. Ultimately, they would have to vote for the majority representative of the state.

BTW: am I missing some point of the image you keep posting on all your threads? Personally, I think it's rather disturbing.

JordanQ72
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
For instance, he won Illinois, but none of those delegates, who have yet to be decided have to vote for him.

Wow, people around here really have no fucking clue how the process works...

NOT ONLY are most Illinois delegates bound FOREVER to McCain at this point, they have already been chosen as well. Talk about being completely wrong.

JordanQ72
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
No they're not. Prove to me that they are, other than Montana and North Dakota. Do not keep spreading falsehoods.

Why don't you prove your own idiocy? Where are you getting this nonsense that the primaries were meaningless? I really want to fucking know where this misinformation started so instead of me having to correct people everywhere, I can correct it at one central place once and for all.

JimInNY
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
The arguments on this thread are exactly why I am building this site: http://newr3volution.com/

We need a place to have it all spelled out so we know wtf we are doing. Anyone with expertise in the process of any particular stae, please sign up and help me out.

Maltheus
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I sure as heck Ron Paul has good people in his campaign that are on top of this delegate situation.

I'm not sure that's true. Nobody has formally asked me if I'm a Ron Paul supporting delegate. I won in my precinct, for county, district and state (or 12.5% county, 50% district and 50% state), but Paul only got 4.4% of the straw poll vote in my precinct. The campaign doesn't seem to have a good way to track this.

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow, people around here really have no fucking clue how the process works...

NOT ONLY are most Illinois delegates bound FOREVER to McCain at this point, they have already been chosen as well. Talk about being completely wrong.

Well thanks for being civil, but here's why your wrong.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/IL-R.phtml

57 of Illinois' 70 delegates to the Republican National Convention will be directly elected in the Illinois Presidential Primary: this is a so-called "Loophole" primary (a Delegate Selection Primary combined with an Advisory "beauty contest" presidential preference vote); thus, the popular vote in the Illinois Republican Primary will have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual presidential preference of the 57 separately elected National Convention delegates (each of the State's 19 congressional districts is assigned 2 to 4 National Convention delegates- the number of delegates assigned to each district being based on the relative strength of that district's vote for the Republican presidential nominee in the general election).

You may be right, however, about the delegates already chosen. I don't know when they were or will be chosen.

And please get some manners that was very rude.

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure that's true. Nobody has formally asked me if I'm a Ron Paul supporting delegate. I won in my precinct, for county, district and state (or 12.5% county, 50% district and 50% state), but Paul only got 4.4% of the straw poll vote in my precinct. The campaign doesn't seem to have a good way to track this.

I live in Iowa and I have been contataced by the Ron Paul campaign to see if I was a delegate. They seem to have a pretty good understanding, at least here, as to who their delegates are.

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Furthermore, in the primaries, most of those delegates are bound, unlike most caucuses. However, the primaries don't selet the actual delegates. So in the first round of voting at the national convention a Ron Paul delegate might have to vote for John McCain if he's from Florida, but if John McCain doesn't reach the thresehold he will certainly vote for Ron Paul the next time. That's why even in the McCain states we still need to rack of the delegates. Contrary to what the Ron Paul campaign says they have no officially pledged delegates. (Except in West Virginia) But they are certain that they will get the minimum delegates that they stated when the state conventions roll around. That's why they gave a minimum, they think it will actually be much higher, but they can't know for sure yet.

JordanQ72
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't know when they were or will be chosen.

Then why were you speaking? Is that how this misinformation is spreading? Clueless people parroting each other?

How about looking at the actual GOP guide?

http://gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf

And please get some manners that was very rude.

No, fuck off. I've been correcting cluelessly wrong people for months now, and it's not even sinking in. I'm hearing the same wrong bullshit I heard in early October and I just don't care anymore about manners.

seapilot
02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Romney is done basically so his support will dry up in remaining caucus and primary states. Ron Paul has a good shot of picking up more delegates in Texas and the remaining states. In Alaska we can vote on unbound delegates at the state convention.

States that have delegates that are not bound can vote on who they go to. Romney had a lot of popular vote in states such as Maine , NV and Alaska but no one willing to step foward and support him as delegates in the state conventions like Ron Paul has.

Maltheus
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I live in Iowa and I have been contataced by the Ron Paul campaign to see if I was a delegate. They seem to have a pretty good understanding, at least here, as to who their delegates are.

Oh good, I guess it just takes a little time. We're all still recovering ourselves.

skgai
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Then why were you speaking? Is that how this misinformation is spreading? Clueless people parroting each other?

No, fuck off. I've been correcting cluelessly wrong people for months now, and it's not even sinking in. I'm hearing the same wrong bullshit I heard in early October and I just don't care anymore about manners.

I was speaking because I had not heard of delegates being selected in Illinois at all. And I check with two different sources that they had not been selected, but they did not say when they were selected.

Also, this GOP guide isn't a rulebook. That's why when they say bound in Illinois they aren't entirely accurate. The law says that they should be, but through a loophole they're technically not. That's why they call it a loophole primary. Please read what I sent you. Also you seem to not realize that even in the few caucus states that have bound delegates you don't realize that they aren't bound by the presidential preference poll in most cases, but by the candidate they said they'd support at the state conventions, which have yet to take place.

Anyways, the states where delegates aren't bound no matter what are American Samoa, Colorado, Guam, Illinois, Indiana (half), Iowa, Louisiana (assuming no one gets more than 50% in primary), Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina (loophole), Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio (loophole), Pennsylvania, Virgin Islands, Washington (loophole) and Wyoming. Hardly a short list.

Your angry manner is tiresome. I ask you again to please stop.

theczar1776
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
well at least it was romney that dropped out we can get the pro economy Republicans!

Paul4Prez
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I was speaking because I had not heard of delegates being selected in Illinois at all. And I check with two different sources that they had not been selected, but they did not say when they were selected.

Illinois had a direct delegate election on February 5th. The actual delegates were on the actual ballot. They also had a presidential preference poll, which was non-binding and basically meaningless.

How many delegates did we win in Illinois, if any?

skgai
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Thank you for clearing that up! I would check with the Illinois Republican Party to see who was elected as delegates. They might not have the information available though.

ItsTime
02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Ill correct you.. you have been here since Jan. How is that months? :D

No, fdfds off. I've been correcting cluelessly wrong people for months now, and it's not even sinking in. I'm hearing the same wrong bullshit I heard in early October and I just don't care anymore about manners.