PDA

View Full Version : Ron paul puts straw poll in perspective.

jmdrake
08-09-2007, 08:30 AM
I still think that the straw poll is important. It's important for us to learn how to work out the kinks and see what our strengths and weaknesses are as a movement. (I've personally found out that others are much better at making cold calls than me for instance.) But however Saturday comes out the Ron Paul campaign will go on. Here is a perspective (http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070806/IOWACAUCUS/70806083/1011/IOWACAUCUS) that Dr. Paul put on the upcoming contest.

By James Q. Lynch
The Gazette
james.lynch@gazettecommunications.com

CEDAR RAPIDS - Rep. Ron Paul of Texas has made just two visits to Iowa, so he won't be surprised if he doesn't do as well in the Iowa GOP straw poll Saturday as some of the others seeking the Republican presidential nomination.

After all, Tommy Thompson has made 40 visits, Sam Brownback, 34, and front-runner Mitt Romney has been to Iowa 28 times since the 2004 election.

``I have no idea what will happen,'' he said about the straw poll in Ames that is expected to attract as many as 40,000 Iowa Republicans.

``The big question is why do we do so well when you check things out on the Internet, and the attention we're getting and the supporters we're attracting when, at the same time, we don't show up in any national polls,'' the Texas congressman told The Gazette Editorial Board on Monday.

Spending this week in Iowa is the biggest investment of time in one place Paul's campaign has made. He's planning a rally in Cedar Rapids at 8 p.m. Thursday at the Crowne Plaza Five Seasons Hotel, 350 First Ave. NE.

His crowds are getting bigger and the enthusiasm is 'boisterous,'' Paul said.

So a strong showing Saturday might be a good way to kick start his so far below-the-radar campaign, he said.

``If we do a lot better than the polls show, we will get a lot more attention and pick up momentum for the campaign,'' he
said. ``Of course, if we do very poorly, it raises a lot of questions.''

He claims to be picking up support from ha
rd-core Republicans ``who are becoming very frustrated with spending too much in a war that we can't get out of.'' Paul wants to bring troops home from Iraq.

Paul doesn't have to do well Saturday to remain viable, he said.

``It's so early in the campaign that even not coming in first or second or third doesn't mean you haven't had any success whatsoever,'' he said. c That's because the conservative Republicans who are expected to show up for the straw poll are not Paul's strongest base of support.

His candidacy is providing an opportunity for Republicans, independents and disgruntled Democrats ``to join in and send a message ... to say they are hearing a message they like.''

Regards,

John M. Drake

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-09-2007, 08:54 AM

Bradley in DC
08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Lowers expectations: insulates us if we don't do as well (and explains why BEFORE the poll) and makes us look even better if we do do well!

MozoVote
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
John McCain was last (or very close to last) in the previous presidential straw poll, but was perceived as the only serious challenge to "W" as the primaries rolled out.

So, it doesn't have a lot of predictive value. But it is a test of how well a campaign can work together, and it does bleed the poorly funded candidiates out of the race.

markpa
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Can democrats and independants vote in this GOP poll? I would assume you have to be a registered Rep. right?

Shink
08-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Can democrats and independants vote in this GOP poll? I would assume you have to be a registered Rep. right?

No, I'm pretty sure this is an open vote. If so...all my last second attempts to participate will be wasted.

markpa
08-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, if its open why wouldn't we do well?

sylvania
08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
You do not need to be registered as a Republican to vote.

You must meet all of the following voting requirements in order to vote:

Be 18 years of age or older on Election Day, November 4, 2008
Be an Iowa resident
Have vaild identification

I just called the Iowa GOP and double-checked.

http://www.iowagop.net/downloads/Straw.Poll.Info.pdf

Slugg
08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, if its open why wouldn't we do well?

That's my line of thinking. I would think that this is a perfect time for Dems and Indis who support Dr. Paul to show themselves. I am slightly frightened though. :confused:

jmdrake
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
That's my line of thinking. I would think that this is a perfect time for Dems and Indis who support Dr. Paul to show themselves. I am slightly frightened though. :confused:

Yeah, that's one way to look at it. Another is "this is a fund raiser for the republican party. Since I detest the republican party why do I want to drive across the state show up and help them raise money?" Of course if you reach these people and get them to listen to you long enough you can explain that they don't have to pay themselves, but you've got to get them to listen to you long enough to hear that.

Anyway, I'm not frightened. Not anymore. If we do well, great. If we don't we just need to use this as a learning experience. No delegates are lost by "losing", just opportunities for free positive press coverage.

Regards,

John M. Drake