PDA

View Full Version : Drew Carey for VP. I'm serious.

IDefendThePlatform
02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I think RP should pick Drew Carey (a libertarian) as his running mate for Vice President. Here's why:

1) He would garner the absolute most media coverage for the campaign.

2) He is telegenic (obviously), very likeable, popular, intelligent, and would talk circles around Huck/Obama/Hillary in a VP debate.

3) Anytime someone brought up his lack of experience it would make for an excellent opportunity to say, "Experience isn't nearly as important as an understanding of the Constitution and the role of government."

4) He currently hosts a very popular prime time television show on ABC(?). His inclusion in the campaign would be worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars in free publicity.

Ross Perot took a retired admiral with zero political experience in '92. A celebrity running mate with a sound head on his shoulders would be an incredible boost to an RP independent presidential run.

I greatly value the opinions of my fellow posters. Let me know what you think.

ToryNotion
02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
[x] in favor
[ ] not in favor

Wouldn't Carey have to give up his day job. That would be a tough decision. It would be
interesting how the entertainment industry would treat one of their own getting into non-leftist
and/or collectivist politics. As long as an entertainer is active in a single issue or a broader
leftish position like Sarandon they are okay with it. But if they took a position on Liberty and
rolling back all the supposed 'progress' brought on by mega-government how much play would
they get?

RageAgainstDC
02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
i work with a guy that is a dead ringer for drew carey. even sounds like him when he talks. we could get him to do it ;)

skinnyskittles1989
02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
i agree

Michael Ingram
02-07-2008, 08:30 AM
that sounds like a good idea actually

FreeTraveler
02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah, great... a comedian for VP is the PERFECT way to get them to take Dr. Paul seriously as a candidate. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let this thread die, please.

Meekus
02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Drew Carey? Would of been cool if he was publicly behind RP, like Chuck Norris was behind Huck.

IDefendThePlatform
02-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Drew Carey? Would of been cool if he was publicly behind RP, like Chuck Norris was behind Huck.

I would think Drew is planning to vote for Dr. P. Most Libertarians are, and I know he is a libertarian. He probably has not endorsed him because that would hurt his career in Hollywood. From what I've seen Drew is a very decent man and might be able to be talked into this for the greater good if he thought they could make a good showing.

JoeyA
02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I love Drew Cerey.....but he has a little to much baggage.To many skeletons in his closet.At least allegedly.

PauliticsPolitics
02-07-2008, 08:55 AM
great idea, i'll give him a call.

PauliticsPolitics
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I love Drew Cerey.....but he has a little to much baggage.To many skeletons in his closet.At least allegedly.

what's the baggage? not cuz i think this is a great idea, but just cuz i don't know much about drew carey.

EotS
02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
How dumb.

WTF will Carey have to say about the issues? How would he fare in a VP debate, what's he going to do, make jokes?

Andrew Napolitano is the man. He'll shred the establishment shills and add a powerful, commanding voice to complement Ron's gentlemanly approach.

Richie
02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
For those that suggested that Drew Carey endorse him first, he already has. He donated to the campaign last quarter.

I don't think it's a good idea. If Ron Paul decides to run third party/independent, he'll want people to take his campaign seriously. While Drew Carey would draw tons of attention to the campaign, I don't think it would be the right kind of attention.

therealjjj77
02-07-2008, 08:59 AM
It would get the Democrat vote. =P In fact, a ton of young people would vote for that ticket.

IDefendThePlatform
02-07-2008, 09:01 AM

I guess I'm not familiar enough with Drew Carey's background to know about his skeletons. But if we ever get to the point where the media is publicly discussing the allegedly questionable background of RP's running mate, then we've already won.

rexsolomon
02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Robin Williams would be better!!!

I just had to get this in. I think the OP's suggestion is hilarious.

IDefendThePlatform
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
How dumb.

WTF will Carey have to say about the issues? How would he fare in a VP debate, what's he going to do, make jokes?

Andrew Napolitano is the man. He'll shred the establishment shills and add a powerful, commanding voice to complement Ron's gentlemanly approach.

I'm willing to bet Drew Carey has a reasoned, principled position on 90%+ of the issues. Plus, he is very intellegient and quick on his feet (Remember the show Who's Line is it Anyway?).

I agree Napolitano could also be a good pick. I just think we'll get more publicity and attention (which is what we sorely need) with a true celebrity.

Right now I'm fantasizing about Drew going on The O'Reilly Factor and laying the smackdown on Bill in front of 4 million voters.

IDefendThePlatform
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
2 examples for those who think this wouldn't get taken seriously:

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Zero political background, announces, runs and wins Gov. of California (as a Republican)

Jesse Ventura: from WWF to Minnesota governor almost overnight (as an Independent, no less)

So its definitely not without precedent.

FreeTraveler
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Go over to Wonkette. Find the thread where they say:

"Haha, I went over to RPF and now I've got those Paultards seriously debating whether DREW CAREY would be a good VP choice! Those idiots will fall for anything!"

hopeforamerica
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
2 examples for those who think this wouldn't get taken seriously:

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Zero political background, announces, runs and wins Gov. of California (as a Republican)

Jesse Ventura: from WWF to Minnesota governor almost overnight (as an Independent, no less)

So its definitely not without precedent.

You are forgetting Ronald Reagan = actor first :p

LEK
02-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, great... a comedian for VP is the PERFECT way to get them to take Dr. Paul seriously as a candidate. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let this thread die, please.

If Ronald Reagen and Arnold can do it, they were comedians, right? Oh, sorry just funny actors...

Just Come Home
02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd have a hard time voting for a ticket that has Drew Carey on it. I like his politics, but I don't want Drew Carey one heartbeat away from the presidency.

I'd probably vote the libertarian ticket if Paul brough Drew Carey on board as VP.

Pass.