PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Chaplin Speaks

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:08 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a3Eg8F3rap4

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I hate that I have to dress up the title and put flashy lights on it for people to know it's there.

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Bump

Opulen
02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
"Soldiers. in the name of Democracy let us all Unite!! Fight for liberty not for slavery!!

Nice speech!!

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
"Soldiers. in the name of Democracy let us all Unite!! Fight for liberty not for slavery!!

Nice speech!!

I figure someone could make a hell of a Rontube with this.

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
bump

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
bump

mkeller
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow! That was great!

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
bump

Matthew Zak
02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
bump -- and good night

Lucid American
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
One of my favorite speeches ever. Incredibly powerful and valid.

RPfan
02-06-2008, 11:50 PM
bump.

zmyrick19
02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
bump+1.

Troyhand
02-07-2008, 12:42 AM
You may want to listen to what's really being said here.

Chaplin hits the nail on the head here as to the problems of the world- greed, power, dehumanization, no heart, no faith, no morality. And the brutes who take advantage of these traits to control the world.

But listen to his solution. "...In the name of democracy, let us use that power, let us all unite! Let us fight for a new world(order)! A decent world. That will give men a chance to work. That will give you the future and old age the security. By the promise of these things brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfill that promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves, but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise. Let us fight to free the world. To do away with national barriers(!). To do away with greed, with hate, and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason. A world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!"
Um, guys, this is a sales pitch for communism. I hope you all see that.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing Charlie play a dictator with a conscience (which will never happen), and the words spoken here are incredible in their truth. We can gleen much wisdom from these words.
But the spin of a solution being a democracy (two wolves and a sheep fighting over what's for dinner) is total propaganda. New World, indeed. Sounds like global government to me. One big centralized power! A dictator's wet dream!
Sorry, folks. This is communism, fascism, new world orderism repackaged. This is exactly what the Founding Fathers were warning us against. Power in one place away from the people. This is NOT a democratic REPUBLIC being sold as the answer.
I hope everyone sees that. If you don't, please reread your constitution.
p.s. This is a masterful piece of propaganda. It was made during World War II to scare the people from one form of fascism (Nazism) to entice them into another form of fascism (Communism), to be lured away from history's best form of government (OUR REPUBLIC)!

That's my opinion.

affa
02-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Troyhand, have you seen The Great Dictator?

Inserting words into his speech ('order' for example) is just plain low. He did not say that, and he did not mean that.

He was not a communist. In his own words: "My prodigious sin was, and still is, being a non-conformist. Although I am not a Communist I refused to fall in line by hating them."

His commentary in regards to nationalism was specific to the concept that nationalism is one of the main weapons used to entice a population into war. His point, oversimplified, would be that we draw lines in the sand and then fight over them. Which is true.

Chaplin was ferociously anti-fascist, and was publicly speaking out against Hitler before it was popular to do so. In fact, he made The Great Dictator to lampoon Hitler before it was popular to do so and faced personal hardship as a result.

The man deserves respect.

dblee
02-07-2008, 04:57 AM
bump. inspired me.

Matthew Zak
02-07-2008, 05:09 AM
You may want to listen to what's really being said here.

Chaplin hits the nail on the head here as to the problems of the world- greed, power, dehumanization, no heart, no faith, no morality. And the brutes who take advantage of these traits to control the world.

But listen to his solution. "...In the name of democracy, let us use that power, let us all unite! Let us fight for a new world(order)! A decent world. That will give men a chance to work. That will give you the future and old age the security. By the promise of these things brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfill that promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves, but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise. Let us fight to free the world. To do away with national barriers(!). To do away with greed, with hate, and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason. A world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!"
Um, guys, this is a sales pitch for communism. I hope you all see that.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing Charlie play a dictator with a conscience (which will never happen), and the words spoken here are incredible in their truth. We can gleen much wisdom from these words.
But the spin of a solution being a democracy (two wolves and a sheep fighting over what's for dinner) is total propaganda. New World, indeed. Sounds like global government to me. One big centralized power! A dictator's wet dream!
Sorry, folks. This is communism, fascism, new world orderism repackaged. This is exactly what the Founding Fathers were warning us against. Power in one place away from the people. This is NOT a democratic REPUBLIC being sold as the answer.
I hope everyone sees that. If you don't, please reread your constitution.
p.s. This is a masterful piece of propaganda. It was made during World War II to scare the people from one form of fascism (Nazism) to entice them into another form of fascism (Communism), to be lured away from history's best form of government (OUR REPUBLIC)!

That's my opinion.

I can see how it could be interpreted that way, but I'd have to get into a more paranoid mindset to do so. It's less of a stretch to align his words with our message. Plus, using the word liberty so many times... how much liberty is there in communism?

Truth Warrior
02-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Troyhand is correct. Chaplin was a communist or at least a sympathizer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin#Other_controversies