PDA

View Full Version : In Alabama is it illegal to ask for photo ID?

reaver
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I have heard today that they cannot ask for a photo ID legally. But I am confused because myself and everyone I talked to in my precinct had to give their photo ID. Anyone know?

notcarljung
02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I dunno. But they certainly asked for mine. I don't believe it's illegal in AL tho.

BadFox
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Anyone can ask (key word "ask") you for ID, but a cop cannot force you to show your driver's license without having a good reason (especially if you weren't driving). You are obligated to give them your full name (I think). If someone's making noise in one way or another, they use asking for their ID as an intimidation tactic and to see if you've got a warrant out. If you politely respond by giving your full name and that you value your rights, and ask why they need to see your license, they figure you know more than the average person and generally back down a bit.

reaver
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks fox-

I ran around all last week getting everyone updated and registered to vote and when I got there none of the addresses were right. When I voted they didn't double check the address but when my parents showed up they wanted to verify that the address is correct. It just struck me as odd because someone who was working the polls in Wetumpka told me that if they had my address they can vote for me; But I have no clue how that would work out.

But it would make sense because Mike Huckabee beat McCain hands down at a Military Batallion polling place... which struck me as odd. As well as the guy chasing me out asking if he could pray for me... That was odd too. Nice guy; But odd that he would follow me outside and offer me religious advice instead of staying at his polling place.