PDA

View Full Version : How come Boston has 710 RP votes only?

nightlight
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
This is strange, Boston shows only 710 votes for Ron Paul (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/county/#val=MAREP4), while McCain had 7674? There are tens of thousands of college students there, there was Tea Party, signs everywhere, yet McCain gets 11 votes for each Ron Paul's vote. Can Boston Meetups (I'm in Lexington) add their own rough number to see whether the 710 makes any sense even approximately? It makes no sense to me.

(Note: The voting in MA was open primary, you simply state which ballot you want at the polling place, hence it can't be any formality that got in the way of supporters.)

piotr1
02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
something is very wrong. the boston meetup is bigger than 710

nightlight
02-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I hope we hear from the Boston meetups. I am Lexington, MA (don't know a single supporter in my town) but I have friends in and around Boston, mostly college students, and from their stories since December, the 710 figure just doesn't make any sense.

Green Mountain Boy
02-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I am a student in Boston but I am voting in Vermont's primary.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
The spirit of Sam Adams is no longer with the city of Boston.

nightlight
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM
The spirit of Sam Adams is no longer with the city of Boston.

It got vanquished by the spirit of Diebold.

BigRedBrent
02-06-2008, 04:00 PM
It got vanquished by the spirit of Diebold.

Sounds like it.

slacker921
02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I wonder.. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=114168 paper ballots not getting counted immediately?
I also wonder how many college students voted absentee and so their votes haven't been counted. ? and will they ever be counted and included?

dvictr
02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
the college students are either registered in another state. or registered democrat.

slacker921
02-06-2008, 05:20 PM
umm.. but how many college students from Boston and currently in another state voted absentee?..

Sarah
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I just found this ...and it surprised me very much to read that the youth in MA
supported Obama. I was trying to find a break down on voters by age in MA when I saw this. I'm not sure if it's just a site showing favoritism towards Obama for their own reasons. I'd still like to see the breakdown

Allston-Brighton

Though Barack Obama did not sweep to victory in Massachusetts’ Democratic primary, he did quite well and, according to studies, young voters age 18-24 may have helped him to succeed. A Harvard survey indicates that 35 percent of young Democrats favored Obama over Hillary Clinton.

The online survey, conducted by Harvard University’s Institute of Politics, found 43 percent of young Democratic men, and more than half of young Democratic African-Americans, said Obama would be their first choice for President.

“There’s no question that from everything I’ve seen from the polls, Obama is disproportionately being supported by younger people,” said Jennifer Steen, a professor of political science at Boston College and a former political consultant.

Since February, when Obama declared his candidacy, grassroots youth movements have spawned across the states and have drawn considerable support from young people. But this historic election has not only drawn in the younger crowd, but also more voters in general, according to Brian McNiff, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Secretary of State William Galvin.

“We have about 20,000 more voters than we had two years ago,” McNiff said.

In Allston-Brighton, nearly 8,400 more voters have registered for this year’s primary, an increase of 29 percent from the 2004 primaries, according to the Boston’s Election Department. The total number of Democrats in A-B increased by more than 4,000, while the total number of Republicans grew by just over 400.

Boston University English grad student David Lorango, 23, said before Tuesday that he was doing what he could to increase voter awareness in A-B, a historically low voter turnout neighborhood.

Lorango, a member of the Obama A-B group, said he has been supporting Obama since he was co-president of the Young Democrats at his college in California.

“I think that what he’s looking at is bringing people together, bringing in new faces, bringing in different opinions, bringing in different sides, and making sure that everyone’s voices are heard,” Lorango said. “We need someone to unify the country, and I think Obama is the right guy for the job.”

The A-B Obama group’s main goal was bringing awareness and ensuring registered voters who support Obama went out and voted, Lorango said. Since January 2007, members of the A-B Obama group knocked on more than 800 doors and passed literature throughout A-B.

McNiff said grassroots youth groups such as these are making a significant impact in this year’s election.

“It’s certainly a factor having young people involved in campaigns,” McNiff said. “Campaigns have often had younger people working on them because younger people are more capable of working 20-hour days.”

According to Lorango, he hopes that the group’s effort as well as other youth movements will encourage people to be involved with politi

katfu
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I wasn't registered by January 16, so they wouldn't let me vote. I'm guessing there would be a lot more youth vote if we could just register online and not use "stamps" *gasp*

demokra5
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Where did you get this report? It is ridiculously biased in a sneaky way.

"Though Barack Obama did not sweep to victory in Massachusetts’ Democratic primary, he did quite well and, according to studies, young voters age 18-24 may have helped him to succeed. A Harvard survey indicates that 35 percent of young Democrats favored Obama over Hillary Clinton"

Doesn't that mean that 65% support Hillary? Maybe 60% if you count undecided. They give the one number, and it sticks out, but in context it is worthless.

joeu
02-09-2008, 06:25 AM
This is strange, Boston shows only 710 votes for Ron Paul (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/county/#val=MAREP4), while McCain had 7674? There are tens of thousands of college students there, there was Tea Party, signs everywhere, yet McCain gets 11 votes for each Ron Paul's vote. Can Boston Meetups (I'm in Lexington) add their own rough number to see whether the 710 makes any sense even approximately? It makes no sense to me.

(Note: The voting in MA was open primary, you simply state which ballot you want at the polling place, hence it can't be any formality that got in the way of supporters.)

Republicans (or those informed enough to ask for a Republican ballot) in Boston are an endangered species. (The Boston Meetup does have about 650 members but that includes many people in the metro Boston area who do not vote in the City of Boston).

No one knew about Ron Paul.There was absolutely no outreach done on a mass media scale-no tv ads and no direct mailing.

There was a volunteer effort to do auto-calling but only reached a limited number of people because of funding. We, Boston Meetup, did place a full page ad in the Globe but it alone was unable to attract the attention of large numbers of people.

The official campaign was pitiful. I ran a one man write-in campaign for council in Boston and received more votes than Ron Paul did for president.

From now until the convention support your local grassroots' efforts with direct funding. It will make a difference when the delegates vote in September.

Truth Warrior
02-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Perhaps those who count the votes in Boston, decided 710 votes for Ron Paul was everything.

http://homepage.mac.com/rcareaga/diebold/adworks.htm

Cinderella
03-13-2008, 09:46 AM
i didnt realize the dealine to change parties was january 16....so i was still registered as a damn democrat....i was turned down and sent home.....