PDA

View Full Version : ****The Brokered Convention****

Ayse
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I found this at: http://www.floppingaces.net/2008/01/15/the-brokered-convention/

While I’m not able to divulge the names of my sources or my connection to those individuals, I have learned some interesting information about the RNC. The fate of some GOP candidates may rest completely on a discussion which takes place this week among the RNC Executive Committee and the delegates for the GOP National Convention.

here is a lot of discussion about a brokered convention. It could be a real possibility, with multiple possible scenarios unfolding.

any states have rebelled against the RNC rules and scheduled their primary elections earlier this year - Florida being one of them. The committee members warned them months ago not to do this as they may lose their delegates at the national convention. I was told last night that the final decision will be made this week. While the Republican National Committee voted 121-9 to impose the penalties and remove half of their delegates, Chairman Mike Duncan does have the power to overrule that decision. He has indicated he will not do that. There is still a possibility that all or none of them will count, and some states have indicated they bring litigation against the RNC if only half of their delegates are counted, regardless.

Which states are we talking about and how will they matter?

Florida - 114 delegates
Michigan - 60 delegates
Wyoming - 28 delegates
South Carolina - 47 delegates
New Hampshire - 24 delegates

She was wrong on the call, slightly, which she updated with the actual rules.

On pages 12 & 13, Rule No. 16 (Enforcement of Rules), section (a), paragraphs (1) and (2):

There appears to be two choices. The delegates can be reduced by 50% (paragraph 1) or by 90% (paragraph 2).

On page 14, Rule No. 16 (Enforcement of Rules), section (e), paragraph (2) [Emphasis mine]:

After the Republican National Committee members are excluded from being part of the offending state’s delegation to the national convention, the state party shall determine which of the state’s remaining delegates (and corresponding alternate delegates) are entitled to serve as the state’s reduced delegation to the national convention.

Which means the States could decide to sit down any of Rudy’s delegates and put Fred’s up. Or any other number of combinations. Brokered convention here we come…..

Even funnier will be when the States GOP leadership decide to sit down Ron Paul’s delegates and then watching the Ronulans go absolutely batty…..now that will be a blast!

So I looked up the RNC Rules at: http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?Guid=a4cc4fcb-6043-4af2-860a-41ae912a2c42

i) No presidential primary, caucus, convention, or other meeting may be held for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention, prior to the first Tuesday of February in the year in which the national convention is held;

So those states holding their primaries earlier than Feb. 5 have to get penalized, here are the penalties.

RULE NO. 16
Enforcement of Rules
(a) If any state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the next national convention, such state shall suffer a loss of its delegates and alternate delegates to that national convention as follows:

(1) If a state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention before the call to the national convention is issued, then the number of delegates to the national convention from that state shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%), and the corresponding alternated delegates shall also be reduced.

(2) If a state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention after the call to the national convention is issued, then the number of delegates to the national convention from that state shall be reduced by ninety percent (90%), and the corresponding alternate delegates shall also be reduced.

Does this mean that McCains delegates from Florida get cut in half at least? If so, this would help us towards a brokered convention.

barrett203
02-06-2008, 01:26 PM
great post

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
The call of the convention is here

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=47114.