PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Doesn't Rule Out Third Party Run

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 12:07 PM
If you don't win, will you support the GOP nominee and promise not to run on the Libertarian or any other ticket?
I'm not promising any of those things. If we have a Republican nominee that has convinced me they have come around on foreign policy ... I would consider it. As far as running on a third-party ticket, or [as an] independent, or Libertarian, I have no plans to do that.

Well, "no plans" doesn't mean you won't.
The best way I can state it is: I have no plans. I can't conceive of it. But I guess in life there aren't that many absolutes.

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2007/12/18/ron-paul-doesnt-rule-out-third-party-run/

I've seen so many people on these forums state that Ron Paul has said he would not run as a third party candidate. He has never said that, ever!

I doubt he would, unless his supporters raised $100M or so and demanded it of him. So thought it's unlikely, there still is a chance. Remember, it's still about the message, not the man. The longer we can keep that message going, the more chance we have of saving the nation.

RonPaulFTFW
02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
How could we even afford it?

sorry guys but Obama raised 23 million LAST Month.

That's about all we could muster.
To run 3rd party we'd need 200 million at least.

And we'd be ignored just as hard. I can't do another nader,

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
How could we even afford it?

sorry guys but Obama raised 23 million LAST Month.

That's about all we could muster.
To run 3rd party we'd need 200 million at least.

And we'd be ignored just as hard. I can't do another nader,

See my new thread at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113949

If Ron Paul were to be so bold as to announce a third party or independent run, he'd probably get a lot of new donors from conservatives who cannot stomach John McCain. He may not win, but damn that would sure make a statement, to see RP get 15 or 20% of the votes come November.

If he did this, I doubt the MSM could cover it up as successfully as they have during this primary season.

Hey, one can hope!

colin1
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
See my new thread at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113949

If Ron Paul were to be so bold as to announce a third party or independent run, he'd probably get a lot of new donors from conservatives who cannot stomach John McCain. He may not win, but damn that would sure make a statement, to see RP get 15 or 20% of the votes come November.

If he did this, I doubt the MSM could cover it up as successfully as they have during this primary season.

Hey, one can hope!

He was a legitimate Republican contender who raised a boatload of cash and had thousands of hardcore supporters and they ignored us. You really think a third party run is going to get any coverage? Where are all of these mythical McCain hating conservatives waiting to line up with us? Ain't gonna happen.

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
He was a legitimate Republican contender who raised a boatload of cash and had thousands of hardcore supporters and they ignored us. You really think a third party run is going to get any coverage? Where are all of these mythical McCain hating conservatives waiting to line up with us? Ain't gonna happen.

Ready to give up?

jblosser
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
They wouldn't vote for us because they wouldn't know about us. They will take any excuse they can get to lock us out of the debates. The media lock is absolute.

And no I'm not giving up. I'm not free yet and I'm not dead either. If we want the minds of people, canvassing is still where it's at. A very low percentage of our people are doing this, and losing focus isn't helping.

ruggedindividualist
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Ron Paul has said he's in it as long as he has support. He has been very cagey about running 3rd party. I don't think he's ruled it out. It would end up being a true grassroots word of mouth campaign since there would be little money. But he would be the anti-war option and already has had a lot more exposure and name recognition than most indie or 3rd party candidates. The fact he that he would be doing so would generate buzz. People don't expect 3rd party candidates to get mentioned much. But they usually do start to think about their real options once it gets down to it. McCain Huckabee will get the pseudo Christians in the South and the folks working for the military industrial complex and the warmongers. Neither Hillary nor Obama plan on stopping the wars in the middle east. Everyone is CFR but Dr Paul. People are tired of holding their noses and voting. A lot can happen before Nov. McCain is clearly nuts and looking and sounding crazier all the time.

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
They wouldn't vote for us because they wouldn't know about us. They will take any excuse they can get to lock us out of the debates. The media lock is absolute.

And no I'm not giving up. I'm not free yet and I'm not dead either. If we want the minds of people, canvassing is still where it's at. A very low percentage of our people are doing this, and losing focus isn't helping.

As long as Ron Paul runs for president, we will have an excuse to canvass. At some point, his bid for GOP nomination will come to a close. I am only saying that I don't want his campaign to come to a close at that time. Brokered Convention would be ideal, but I don't think the powers that be will allow that to come to pass.

literatim
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I doubt it will happen, but the only time an independent or 3rd party run will come is after the RNC. Kind of pointless talking about it now.

RonPaulNYC
02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
The money that the other 2 nominess will have if he pulls a third party run would be astronimcal.

You have to realize, they have giant billion dollar corporations behind them. i don't think we would get close to the amount of money, and if you think we were ignored before. oh boy!

Someone mentioned Nader. i dont know anything about him (i'm new to this whole politicalgame, even though i'm 31 lol)

Are his views comparable to Dr Paul's?? Possible partnership??? And please don't mention Bloomberg. Bad enough I have to deal with him here in NYC.

Just throwing out ideas. And no i'm not giving up on the revolution!

ToryNotion
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Its to his advantage to keep counsel with a few trusted advisors AND PEOPLE YOU AND I ARE NOT HIS ADVISORS and its prudent to not show his hand NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO SPECULATE ABOUT THE FUTURE until the right time. Be patient.

nbhadja
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Before they banned all mention of RP. Now they allow a few threads about RP. They are warming up to RP since they hate McCain so much.

colin1
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Ready to give up?

Don't be silly.

Give up what? A worthless third party campaign that will get no coverage and will achieve nothing? I was a volunteer in Paul's '88 Campaign while in high school. One of my teachers was an influential libertarian, Don Ernsberger. I learned very quickly back then about the futility of third party national campaigns. The fact that so many people here are pushing it tells me they don't have a clue about it.

So, do what you like, I'll be putting my efforts into more productive enterprises. ;)

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Don't be silly.

Give up what? A worthless third party campaign that will get no coverage and will achieve nothing? I was a volunteer in Paul's '88 Campaign while in high school. One of my teachers was an influential libertarian, Don Ernsberger. I learned very quickly back then about the futility of third party national campaigns. The fact that so many people here are pushing it tells me they don't have a clue about it.

So, do what you like, I'll be putting my efforts into more productive enterprises. ;)
I am glad to hear you volunteered in the '88 campaign. I didn't really do anything for the campaign except put a RP for Prez bumper sticker on my car back then!

Back then in 88, truly nobody had ever heard of Ron Paul, all the way up to the general election day. He got less than 1/2 of a percent. A sitting VP was running for election. We had just ended 8 years of Reagan. Things were very different then.

Today, a LOT more people have heard of Ron Paul. We have no incumbents running. We're just ending 8 years of BUSH, which has turned the stomach of many a conservative, who now are being offered up McCain as the followup to Bush.

I think RP would get a whole lot more than just a half of a percent this time... and he could be the catalyst that shakes the whole country up. This is a lot more than just a man... this is the beginning of a Revolution. And in revolutions, revolutionary things happen, like 3 parties, etc.

I'd vote for him if he ran third party/independent. My guess is that in the end, so would you.

IcyPeaceMaker
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
An Independent run should be made (Joe Liberman made it work for him), to punish the party leaders if for no other reason. An independent run would be VERY viable because Independents are the majority voting bloc: http://www.independentnation.org/rise_of_independents.htm

colin1
02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I am glad to hear you volunteered in the '88 campaign. I didn't really do anything for the campaign except put a RP for Prez bumper sticker on my car back then!

Back then in 88, truly nobody had ever heard of Ron Paul, all the way up to the general election day. He got less than 1/2 of a percent. A sitting VP was running for election. We had just ended 8 years of Reagan. Things were very different then.

Today, a LOT more people have heard of Ron Paul. We have no incumbents running. We're just ending 8 years of BUSH, which has turned the stomach of many a conservative, who now are being offered up McCain as the followup to Bush.

I think RP would get a whole lot more than just a half of a percent this time... and he could be the catalyst that shakes the whole country up. This is a lot more than just a man... this is the beginning of a Revolution. And in revolutions, revolutionary things happen, like 3 parties, etc.

I'd vote for him if he ran third party/independent. My guess is that in the end, so would you.

I think we agree in principle. We both want to see this freedom movement continue and succeed. I just don't feel a third party run would be the most beneficial thing at the moment, although I would love to stick it to the GOP. But, as someone else has posted, they're going to sink their electoral ship quite nicely on their own without any help from us. Of course we'll be blamed for "abandoning" the party. :rolleyes: Hillary or McCain? Flip a coin, I think I couldn't care less. I think that a flaming republican defeat is exactly what's needed. Perhaps then someone will realize that abandoning core conservative principles isn't the best way to stay in power. You're absolutely right about me voting for Dr. Paul in a third party situation, I just don't think I would put alot of my time and money toward it. Anyway, best of luck brother!

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Of course we'll be blamed for "abandoning" the party.

The MSM and the GOP will blame us for anything and everything regardless of what we do. They will not tell the public at large that we didn't abandon the GOP, the GOP abandoned us, and it abandoned conservative principles. We have nothing to apologize for. If a Ron Paul indy/3rd party run is the death of the GOP, all the better as far as I'm concerned. Let 'em piss and moan all they want. At least they'll know that We the People can kick some ass if we need to!

beachmaster
02-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Anyway, best of luck brother!
And likewise to you! :D

JWZguy
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I'll vote for Ron Paul any chance I get. I've been campaigning for his issues for years. I'll never vote for a candidate I don't support to "vote against" someone else.

That's like giving someone consent to take your freedoms, as long as they promise to take a little less than "the other guy."

I don't compromise on my principles and I won't compromise on my vote.

Feelgood
02-07-2008, 01:10 AM
beachmaster ==> added to ignore list
IcyPeaceMaker ==> added to ignore list

Please stop the defeatist third party talks. It does nothing to help our campaign, and only gets you added to the ignore list, of those of us that dont wish to hear your dribble.

Thank you.

dave68
02-07-2008, 03:13 AM
I am so sick of the negative crap about a 3rd party run. Ron Paul takes the best from both parties. Remember Dems are for the working man, republicans are for the rich, and corporations, lol. Well RP wants to repeal Nafta, abolish the Irs, follow the constitution, bring the troops home. He is honest, and tells u the truth about social security, HELLO 20 somethings!! He is right on the majority of issues. Obama has a LOT OF UNDER 30 crowd, war, jobs, social security are the issues. Remember New Hampshire he got a lot of our voters.

I can tell u now I am a 40 year old UAW worker in NY, and I talk to a lot of people about politics. They don`t know it but they mirror RP`s platform. They don`t like Hillary/Mccain. A lot don`t even like Obama. Many in NY could not vote because they were not registered Republicans in December. I am sure there are a lot of states where this was an issue. Name recognition is the other issue. I knew nothing about him except he was a strong 2nd amendment supporter 6 months ago. So keep spreading the word. Raising $$ is not even an issue. He could raise a lot in a hurry!! If Mccain/ Hillary is the ticket we have months to mobilize. BUT please spread the word about RP, websites, etc.

Madison
02-07-2008, 03:19 AM
An independent candidacy needs to start soon. Waiting until after the RNC is not an option. If we start soon we have 8-9 months to exponentially increase Ron's name recognition.

beachmaster
02-07-2008, 06:40 AM
beachmaster ==> added to ignore list
IcyPeaceMaker ==> added to ignore list

Please stop the defeatist third party talks. It does nothing to help our campaign, and only gets you added to the ignore list, of those of us that dont wish to hear your dribble.

Thank you.
Ok, fine. But if Ron Paul does decide to run 3rd party/Indy, will you please add me back? Pretty please??

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I find it a damn shame that some people here are more loyal to the GOP than to Ron Paul or the principles for which he stands. And to say that talk about a 3rd party/indy run is somehow defeatist, when in fact it is merely another strategy, another tool in the toolbelt (if, and only if needed) to win the White House and get the message of liberty out to the people, is very disingenuous imo.

To not even consider a 3rd party/indy run in the event of McCain running away with the nomination by a clear majority, precluding a brokered convention, is the defeatist attitude.

Ron Paul himself has not ruled it out. He said on a national debate that the GOP should worry about him running 3rd party/indy. Will you likewise put Ron Paul on your ignore list?

colin1
02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Ok, fine. But if Ron Paul does decide to run 3rd party/Indy, will you please add me back? Pretty please??

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I find it a damn shame that some people here are more loyal to the GOP than to Ron Paul or the principles for which he stands. And to say that talk about a 3rd party/indy run is somehow defeatist, when in fact it is merely another strategy, another tool in the toolbelt (if, and only if needed) to win the White House and get the message of liberty out to the people, is very disingenuous imo.

To not even consider a 3rd party/indy run in the event of McCain running away with the nomination by a clear majority, precluding a brokered convention, is the defeatist attitude.

Ron Paul himself has not ruled it out. He said on a national debate that the GOP should worry about him running 3rd party/indy. Will you likewise put Ron Paul on your ignore list?

Nicely put Beachmaster. You and I don't see eye to eye on the 3rd party run, but I agree it's a legitimate issue to discuss, especially because Ron has done it in the past and may yet do it in the future. And who knows, if you keep making persuasive arguments you might get me to join a third party campaign. ;)

beachmaster
02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Nicely put Beachmaster. You and I don't see eye to eye on the 3rd party run, but I agree it's a legitimate issue to discuss, especially because Ron has done it in the past and may yet do it in the future. And who knows, if you keep making persuasive arguments you might get me to join a third party campaign. ;)

We don't have to see eye to eye to have a nice civil discourse, and I'm grateful for the positive attitude I get from you. This is merely discussion.

Whether one is playing chess, football, war games, or political strategies, one should always consider the "what if" scenarios. If one doesn't do that, then one is being truly defeatist imho, as nobody knows the future. But you can plan for contingencies. If Ron Paul's contingency in case of a loss of the GOP nomination is to quit, so be it. So far he has indicated he will NOT quit, even if he doesn't get the GOP nod, so long as he keeps getting support from the grassroots. But by the talk of some here, he would lose his support. Fair weather patriots won't further our cause. If that's what we are, then we deserve to lose. I for one am in it to the bitter end.

As to me persuading anyone to jump onboard a 3rd party/indy campaign, hey that's not my style. I'm really not trying to persuade anyone. I'm more or less talking out loud here, congealing my thoughts on the subject. If Ron Paul were to take that route, I'm sure you wouldn't need my persuasion to jump on board. I'd bet that every single true blue Ron Paul supporter would instantly jump on that train... and ride it all the way to the inauguration!

:)

beachmaster
02-07-2008, 08:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDfPaUux1Kc

Great interview by Neil Cavuto of Don Luskin. Cavuto says Ron Paul is credible! (That's incredible, coming from Fox News!).

Luskin, Ron Paul's economic adviser, said in reply to Cavuto's question about whether or not RP would run 3rd party, "On election day, Ron Paul is getting my vote if I have to write him in, I hope he goes all the way, some how some way".

Cavuto: "Ok so that's your way of saying your not ruling anything in or out."

Luskin: "No smart person rules anything out."

So is Ron Paul's economic adviser being "defeatist" by saying he hopes Ron Paul goes all the way, some how, some way and that no smart person rules anything out?

I don't think so. I think that's being pragmatic.

Bruno
02-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I am loyal to the message, not the GOP. As others have stated, Ron Paul will make the best decision here. We should wait for that and keep donating and spreading the message in preparation.

That said, there is a reasonable scenario where he could win as a 3rd party candidate, if that comes to be.
Hillary gets the Democratic nomination
McCain get the Republican nomination
By that time, Ron Paul has a solid 10% across the country on his own.
Half of the Republicans hate McCain
Half of the Democrats do not support Hillary
Draw 10% from each party who hates their own candidate, add that to Ron Paul's 10%, add in another 4 or 5 from the general population that normally doesn't vote at all (we have a 50% turnout, usually), and Ron Paul wins with 35% of the general election!!

beachmaster
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I am loyal to the message, not the GOP. As others have stated, Ron Paul will make the best decision here. We should wait for that and keep donating and spreading the message in preparation.

That said, there is a reasonable scenario where he could win as a 3rd party candidate, if that comes to be.
Draw 10% from each party who hates their own candidate, add that to Ron Paul's 10%, add in another 4 or 5 from the general population that normally doesn't vote at all (we have a 50% turnout, usually), and Ron Paul wins with 35% of the general election!!

I'm sure Dr. Paul and his advisers are looking at this scenario. They would be remiss if they didn't.

Peace&Freedom
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM

That's the essential fall formula. But the independent ballot process per state generally occurs over the summer, so he can't wait unti September. Plus if he announced he was running 3rd party soon, it should have the paradoxical effect of ending the media blackout. The storyline switches from "Paul the longshot, ignore" to "Paul the spoiler, play up" by a media that essentially wants Hillary to win. They would WELCOME seeing the conservative vote split up, as it fits the elite's general scheme of having a weakened GOP candidate lose to Clinton. They don't seem to be factoring in the power of Paul's ideas, which can also pull votes from Democrats who don't want to vote for Hillary.

Bruno
02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Th The storyline switches from "Paul the longshot, ignore" to "Paul the spoiler, play up" by a media that essentially wants Hillary to win. They would WELCOME seeing the conservative vote split up, as it fits the elite's general scheme of having a weakened GOP candidate lose to Clinton. They don't seem to be factoring in the power of Paul's ideas, which can also pull votes from Democrats who don't want to vote for Hillary.

I can certainly see your point there!