PDA

View Full Version : HERE IS THE DELEGATE PROCESS...from an official campaign coordinator

m72mc
02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
enjoy,stop the third party crap, TRUST RON PAUL

Why do you think he he has won 10 elections ? :D:D

Posted February 6th, 2008 by bedr1

I am an official coordinator for the campaign here is the delegate process with a brief explanation of what a delegate is at the begining.

Everyone - when a candidate wins delegates by winning a primary that does not mean there are actual people won acting as delegates- these are virtual delegates.

What do I mean by virtual delegates: A virtual delegate is just a number - there are no actual people YET that will go and vote for the candidate who won the particular state at the national convention. We call these people convention delegates

The actual delegates are voted on (in most states) at a statewide delegate caucus after the Primary (which is just a giant preference poll) Who can be delegates? Anyone. In closed Primary states they must be registered Republicans, in Open Primary states they can be Republicans, Democrats, Independents.

In our Missouri county we had about 25,000 vote on the Republican side last night in the Primary but in the last delegate caucus 4 years ago there were less than 150 people that showed up to become delegates. DO YOU GET IT

Normally Convention Delegates do not matter because the convention is not brokered and we have a clear winner. BUT THIS YEAR IS DIFFERENT. Do you see how the ronpaul campaign strategy will work.

Most people have no idea how this works, not even the media.

It is not advertised much, maybe just a single newspaper ad.

to learn how to become a convention delegate contact your local Ron Paul coordinator. (NOT YOUR MEETUP ORGANIZOR)

STEP1. Contact your OFFICIAL Ron Paul Coordinator for your state. go to www.ronpaul2008.com

STEP2 Your State Coordinator will tell you when and where your
county caucus is to become a delegate or where to vote for a Ron Paul Delegate and who to contact prior to the county caucus.

STEP3 At the caucus you will vote for or run for a delegate position
to your STATE Republican Convention. Some state have District Caucuses between the county caucus and the State Convention.
The object is to get more Ron Paul supporters from every county to the district Caucus or State Convention.

STEP5 Attend the state convention as a delegate to choose
NATIONAL delegates to the Republican National Convention in Minnesota. These will be the delegates that are bound to vote for whoever won your state ON THE FIRST VOTE.

STEP6 The NATIONAL delegates elected at your state convention will vote in Minnesota for the Republican Nominee. If after the first vote no candidate gets 51% of the vote, then the National Delegates from your state are free to vote for whoever they want.
These will be Ron Paul supporters because you showed up to vote for them to become delegates or you are a delegate.

I hope this helps

LINK http://www.dailypaul.com/node/34640#comment-297644

DealzOnWheelz
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
bump

Rob
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
enjoy,stop the third party crap, TRUST RON PAUL

Why do you think he he has won 10 elections ? :D:D

LINK http://www.dailypaul.com/node/34640#comment-297644

This is absolutely true. I know for a fact in many states we have these "sleeper" delegates who will be "activated" in the event of a brokered convention. The nationals have never told me how many we have, and I'm not sure if they even know, but we have some, even in the winner take all states. To reiterate, us getting Ron Paul supporters as delegates is wholly independent of any straw poll or primary.

Jae0
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Woot

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Each state has their own rules. This information does not apply to most states. Caucuses and primaries are very different (some states like TX and WV have mixed systems).

In primary states, there is a specific legally-recognized individual named on the delegate slates.

Agora
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
bump

kickzman
02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I hope this is true.

bp2519
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Keep in mind we have to win 5 states

Salamando
Each state has their own rules. This information does not apply to most states. Caucuses and primaries are very different (some states like TX and WV have mixed systems).

In primary states, there is a specific legally-recognized individual named on the delegate slates.

Does Paul still have to win 5 states to be eligible for the nomination in a brokered convention?

billjarrett
Does this not effect Illinois (where I live)? I had to get signatures on a petition to get our delegates on the ballot, and they were on our primary ballot to vote for yesterday.

I am assuming this is for a system different then we have here?

Ayse
02-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Does Paul still have to win 5 states to be eligible for the nomination in a brokered convention?

NO. I don't have the full explanation but this is not true.

fairverona
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
If someone could get the explanation for the five states rule, please do! I keep hearing different things about how this works.

colin1
02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
None of this explains how the guy going into the brokered convention with the fewest number of delegates (real and stealth) can win the actual nomination. How does the guy with the most delegates going into the brokered convention lose to the guy going in with the fewest? It just doens't make sense to me! I think it's great that Ron has won his congressional seat ten times, but this is a national presidential primary, not the 14th district.

JordanQ72
02-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Normally Convention Delegates do not matter because the convention is not brokered and we have a clear winner. BUT THIS YEAR IS DIFFERENT

Doesn't look like it.

Most people have no idea how this works, not even the media.

Right, major media outlets who have political consultants who have PERSONALLY RUN SUCCESSFUL Presidential campaigns don't know how party conventions work, sure...

Shadow of a Doubt
02-06-2008, 12:14 PM
What the first post is getting at is that a supporter of any candidate can be a delegate, so we flood the convention with Ron Paul supporting delegates, who would have to vote for McCain and the others on the first round, but after that it's only their personal opinion that matters, and their personal opinion will be that Ron Paul ought to be President. It's very sneaky. I love it.

Jae0
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
NO. I don't have the full explanation but this is not true.

I've been told he only has to get delegates from 5 states. That makes much mroe sense than winning 5 states.

humanic
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Can someone who knows for sure please explain the five state rule and what happens if Ron does not take first place in at least five states? I don't want "nothing" or "we're fucked" as an answer, I want a real answer. Thanks!

the_bee
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
bump

SWATH
02-06-2008, 01:00 PM
So does this mean that we can have a huge number of Ron Paul delegates at the convention, but they will be percieved as delegates for other candidates?

For instance, hypothetically:

Official delegates at convention

McCain 700
Romney 500
Huck 200
Paul 80

But with Paul delegates surreptitiously planted,

McCain 700 [400 of which are actually Paul supporters]
Romney 500 [300 of which are actually Paul supporer]
Huck 200 [150 of which are actually Paul supporer]
Paul 80 [all of which are Paul supporers]

So in reality as far as votes are concerned:

McCain 300
Romney 200
Huck 50
Paul 930

Is this how it works?

therealjjj77
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM

All of what was said in the article applies. Fill up the delegate spots even if someone else wins in that state. Then when it's brokered at the national convention, EVERYONE can vote how they wish.

therealjjj77
02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
So does this mean that we can have a huge number of Ron Paul delegates at the convention, but they will be percieved as delegates for other candidates?

McCain 700
Romney 500
Huck 200
Paul 80

McCain 300
Romney 200
Huck 50
Paul 930

Is this how it works?

Absolutely. This is why I believe we are winning. We have the go getters who get the delegate spots. We have the few that work hard to get there and that's how to win this thing.

AMBurns
02-06-2008, 01:20 PM

McCain 700
Romney 500
Huck 200
Paul 80

McCain 300
Romney 200
Huck 50
Paul 930

Is this how it works?

You should make a new topic with this as an explanation!

This is a perfect break down of what is really possible. None of the other campaigns are talking about this and ours has been talking about it since March.

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 01:33 PM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104384

Here are the actual rules (http://www.gop.com/images/2008_Call_FINAL.pdf):

Rules "binding" delegates are determined by the states (http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf): some delegates are not bound at all, others for the first few votes (first, second or third), while other states bind their delegates until they are released.

In order to be eligible to be nominated at all [RNC Rule 40(b) (http://www.gop.com/About/Rules31-41.htm)], one requirement is to demonstrate support from the majority of delegates in five states (including DC and territories, RNC Rule 27 (http://www.gop.com/About/Rules21-30.htm)).

qwerty
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
bump!

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
All of what was said in the article applies. Fill up the delegate spots even if someone else wins in that state. Then when it's brokered at the national convention, EVERYONE can vote how they wish.

Yes, I read that too but it's not true in all states. In some states the delegates aren't bound at all; in other states they are bound until released.

There are lots of sets of rules here: some for the convention (RNC ones) others determined by the states that are all very different. I'm just trying to caution against anyone understanding one of these sets of rules and then erroneously making sweeping statements from there that DON'T apply in other states.

But yes, we should work to win as many delegates to the national nominating convention as possible. HOW that happens will vary greatly according to the rules among the different states.

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
What the first post is getting at is that a supporter of any candidate can be a delegate, so we flood the convention with Ron Paul supporting delegates, who would have to vote for McCain and the others on the first round, but after that it's only their personal opinion that matters, and their personal opinion will be that Ron Paul ought to be President. It's very sneaky. I love it.

Be very careful with this approach. In most states this is ILLEGAL. There are numerous threads here of Ron Paul supporters who are publicly identified as supporters of Dr. Paul as on his slate of "delegate candidates" to the Republican national nominating convention (I'm one in DC). We are legally-bound to support him.

The alleged "one vote" rule in the article is only true in SOME states.

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Is this how it works?

That it the theory being bandied about. In truth it is a load of crap.

JAM824A
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Please God (or any deity...)...

Avalon
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Be very careful with this approach. In most states this is ILLEGAL. There are numerous threads here of Ron Paul supporters who are publicly identified as supporters of Dr. Paul as on his slate of "delegate candidates" to the Republican national nominating convention (I'm one in DC). We are legally-bound to support him.

The alleged "one vote" rule in the article is only true in SOME states.

With all due respect Bradley, he isn't suggesting pretending to be a McCain or Romney supporter, he's talking about winning the caucuses legitimately with Ron Paul supporters. I don't see how that could be "illegal."

SWATH
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
So in Kentucky, the national delegates are bound by law to a candidate for the 1st round of voting. This means that if McCain wins Kentucky but gets a bunch of Paul supporters as delegates then either:

A. All the Paul delegates break the law and vote for Paul instead of McCain and spend some time in jail (which I'm sure we would all gladly do considering the payoff).

or

B. They all vote for McCain but hope that he will not achieve the 51%, then assuming he fails to achieve 51% all of those delegates become unbound and vote for Paul?
(this will only work if someone fails to get 51% right, and what happens if they do get 51% is it all over then?)

I feel like we need a password protected sub-forum for spec-ops.

MrHellebusch
02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
So in Kentucky, the national delegates are bound by law to a candidate for the 1st round of voting. This means that if McCain wins Kentucky but gets a bunch of Paul supporters as delegates then either:

A. All the Paul delegates break the law and vote for Paul instead of McCain and spend some time in jail (which I'm sure we would all gladly do considering the payoff).

or

B. They all vote for McCain but hope that he will not achieve the 51%, then assuming he fails to achieve 51% all of those delegates become unbound and vote for Paul?
(this will only work if someone fails to get 51% right, and what happens if they do get 51% is it all over then?)

That is correct, but to clarify, the delegates are only freed up after the 1st round of National voting.

EDIT: An example: Here in Missouri, it is a winner take all state and McCain won. This means that all of the delegates nominated in Missouri through the state caucus will be bound to vote for McCain in the first round at the National convention. However, if after the first round at the national convention, no candidate has over half the delegates, ALL of the delegates, from ALL of the states are allowed to vote their personal preference.

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
With all due respect Bradley, he isn't suggesting pretending to be a McCain or Romney supporter, he's talking about winning the caucuses legitimately with Ron Paul supporters. I don't see how that could be "illegal."

Appreciate the respect! :)

What you've just described isn't illegal, but some others take a different approach. I'm trying to keep our people out of jail. :eek: The main point is that the rules are very different in different states. Following the advice for one state may or may not be good advice in another.

MrHellebusch
02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I second SWATH's motion for a PW protected forum. The other candidates can still flood the caucuses if they know our plan.

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 02:09 PM
That is correct, but to clarify, the delegates are only freed up after the 1st round of National voting.

EDIT: An example: Here in Missouri, it is a winner take all state and McCain won. This means that all of the delegates nominated in Missouri through the state caucus will be bound to vote for McCain in the first round at the National convention. However, if after the first round at the national convention, no candidate has over half the delegates, ALL of the delegates, from ALL of the states are allowed to vote their personal preference.

Again, in some states the delegates are always unbound, in others for some round of votes (one, two or three) and in some states they are never released.

But seriously people (especially in primary states, caucuses are a bit weirder), WHY would McCain not pick HIS people as his delegate candidates? Besides that in (probably) all (primary) states, the delegate candidates have already been selected and filed with the state secretaries of state--in some cases our names are public and in a few OUR names are printed on the ballots already.

Please, please, stop this nonsense and focus on winning votes (and delegates)!

qwerty
02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Bump!

Avalon
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Guys, PLEASE add your state details (how many delegates you can win and the chances at this point) to my thread here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113352

Georgia's precinct caucuses start in a week and a half and looking at past turnout we could walk away with most if not all of the 69 delegates up for grabs if I can rally the troops to work harder than they ever have to get as many warm bodies to the caucuses for us as possible. In order to do that, I NEED to know what other states we have plays in and the likelyhood of them. I can't get worn out, depressed people to get back to the grindstone for a Phyrric victory, much less have them convince others it's anything but one.

If you want to keep the details secret...just PM them to me.