PDA

View Full Version : How about we don't change a thing?

My First Name Is Paul
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
No need to fracture the movement into a billion pieces by trying to change direction.

We already have what we need - a growing movement towards liberty. What we could do is keep our loose organization intact and continue the same fight into the legislative branch by finding candidates similar to Ron Paul and supporting their campaigns.

Congress is so partisan right now that it doesn't take a majority in the congress to have a substantial affect on policy. Imagine if there were 20 more Republicans in the house who shared the principles that we all support.

The movement would essentially be a national resource to help local groups get people elected to the federal legislature. Not a hierarchical, top-down PAC or whatever that requires an additional donation each year and not a pie in the sky 3rd party.

My suggestion is also that we not stray away from the Republican Party. A big talking point for the media about Ron Paul has been his run with the Libertarian Party 20 years ago. I think many Republicans frown on people who turn their backs on the party and I think it would be detrimental to carry the same stigma, not to mention that it draws attention away from the issues.

RageAgainstDC
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
because on the course it is on now it won't be a "growing movement" much longer. if this campaign continues to fail, the movement will suffer for it. an independent run atleast gives us a few more months of optimism and stops the bleeding for a while. it gives us a chance. no independent run = no chance. we are losing support with every poor showing. it's time to reassure everyone that we WILL be there in november. THAT will rally the troops and kick this movement into high gear, not continuing to fail.

Arklatex
02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
This board could use your posts more often patriot.

My First Name Is Paul
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Everyone in my local meetup group disagrees with you, RageAgainstDC. I feel like a fool for creating an additional posting for you to plug your pie.

amy31416
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
No need to fracture the movement into a billion pieces by trying to change direction.

We already have what we need - a growing movement towards liberty. What we could do is keep our loose organization intact and continue the same fight into the legislative branch by finding candidates similar to Ron Paul and supporting their campaigns.

Agreed. Let's stick together and get a good, solid foundation in Congress, the Senate and governing states. If we've learned anything from all of this, we should have learned that we need allies--ones that are in the position to actually help.

Good post.

My First Name Is Paul
02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Agreed. Let's stick together and get a good, solid foundation in Congress, the Senate and governing states.

Yes, divide and conquer is our biggest enemy. There will be no stopping some supporters from forming a 3rd party short of Ron Paul himself calling them on the phone to request they stop, but that doesn't have to stop the rest of us from taking productive steps toward the goals of liberty and peace.

One of the things I find most encouraging is the number of years that Ron Paul has been in office, and all those years campaigning on the exact same platform. What this says to me is what we already know, that once someone has bitten into the liberty apple, there is no turning back. Each seat that we take over in the legislative branch is ours for the keeping so long as we do our jobs. In essence, once most people have a general understanding of how things work, they won't be as likely return to the tax and spend, interventionist type candidates.

Each seat in the house will be like a tick mark in freedom's column.