PDA

View Full Version : Third party doesn't make sense to me

MikeSmith
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
If the economy starts collapsing even more visibly and the war starts getting much worse on the military front, Republican sentiment on the war could easily change. If we can get into a brokered convention, we might be able to win.

We've seen how difficult it is to get a big percentage in a primary. In the general election, a much larger percentage of the populace will vote. Most voters are partisan and uninformed. It will be nearly impossible to convince a plurality to vote for Paul. Well, maybe if there was a complete economic collapse... maybe. Although the other candidates would still try to convince the public that they're best for the job.

edit: please post the reason for your decision

MikeSmith
02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Bump... curious about the opinions of the people here

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Independent, not third party.

MikeSmith
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, why is independent better than Libertarian?

lisajames96
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I didn't choose 3rd party because Ron Paul said it himself that it would be too dificult to win. And I haven't read a decent post explaining to me or to Ron Paul how he could run 3rd party and win easier than with the GOP. If I missed that thread(out of sooo many) that truely explained why Paul is wrong in his assertion that he can't win 3rd party please pm me(be nice). The republican party is not my god, and I was on my way out this year before I heard about Ron Paul and others like him. So let me know.

firebirdnation
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I am voting for 3rd party if he doesn't do any better in the upcoming primaries/caucuses!

MikeSmith
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM

MayTheRon, isn't it easier to get on the ballots if he runs as a Libertarian? What's the advantage of running as an independent?

dsentell
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I will continue to support Ron the Republican and hope and push for a brokered convention.

However, during canvassing, I cannot tell you how many people told me they would vote for Ron if he was running third party, but would not vote for a republican. These were democrat voters.

Then, today reading some posts on the Hannity forum, several republicans indicated that they would vote for Ron if he was third party -- to send the GOP a message.

So, I am really optimistic about a third party run if RP will do it.

As to independent vs. Libertarian, I believe that Libertarian would be the easier route as they are already set to have their candidate on most ballots. Another option is the Constitution Party, they too have their candidate on most state ballots.

I think "libertarian" might be a bad label to some voters, some would associate it with druggies, weirdos and kooks.

Personally, I think Ron Paul, the Constitution Party candidate would be dynamite!

Just my 2 cents . . .

MikeSmith
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I will continue to support Ron the Republican and hope and push for a brokered convention.

However, during canvassing, I cannot tell you how many people told me they would vote for Ron if he was running third party, but would not vote for a republican. These were democrat voters.

Then, today reading some posts on the Hannity forum, several republicans indicated that they would vote for Ron if he was third party -- to send the GOP a message.

So, I am really optimistic about a third party run if RP will do it.

As to independent vs. Libertarian, I believe that Libertarian would be the easier route as they are already set to have their candidate on most ballots. Another option is the Constitution Party, they too have their candidate on most state ballots.

I think "libertarian" might be a bad label to some voters, some would associate it with druggies, weirdos and kooks.

Personally, I think Ron Paul, the Constitution Party candidate would be dynamite!

Just my 2 cents . . .

Thanks for you well thought out answer. Did the majority of democrats say they would vote for Paul if he ran third party, or did you just talk to so many people that 15% of them seemed innumerable?

jrich4rpaul
02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I think it's becoming abundantly clear that no one understands a brokered convention.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
MayTheRon, isn't it easier to get on the ballots if he runs as a Libertarian? What's the advantage of running as an independent?

There is a lot of negative baggage with the LP. Random independent voters and anti-amnesty people, etc, would have a much easier time voting for an "Independent" rather than a "Libertarian Party" candidate. LP is associated with drug and prostitution legalization, etc, in the minds of people. I'm not saying it's fair, I'm just saying it's the perception. People are hungry for an "independent" choice this year.

mczerone
02-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, why is independent better than Libertarian?

social stigma, primarily. Also, if he's not trying to get on the big stage, its not worth tying one's self to a party's existing platform.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
BTW, the people who are voting for "Hope for a win in a brokered convention" don't seem to have a grasp on the realities of what is happening. Mitt will be out tomorrow, then the race is over. There is no brokered convention.

Karsten
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
3rd Party makes sense to me! Let's go 3rd party!! Your poll is biassed because the title of your thread is not objective.

TheHand
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I think it's becoming abundantly clear that no one understands a brokered convention.
We'll then please feel free to educate those that don't understand. Knowledge is always a good thing.

MikeSmith
02-06-2008, 12:02 PM

What don't I understand about it? Once the first vote is cast and no one receives a majority, aren't all the delegates unbound?