PDA

View Full Version : IF Paul does go indepndant, it'll be after Texas Primary

RPTXState
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Reasoning:

Texas is a huge state, with alot of delegates. It is also Paul's home state. If we can pull off an upset win here (REMEMBER, we need 5 WINS for a brokered convention), we will have delegates and media coverage to give us a boost we sorely need.

Also, Paul is being challenged for his own district. If he goes 3rd party/independent now, he risks losing his Congressional seat. Once Paul is secured as the Republican for his district, he can't be removed from the ballot (Tom Delay was still on the ballot because he dropped out AFTER the primary) even if the party wants to (and it will want to anyways).

Speculate all you want, but if Dr. Paul is smart (and you know he is), he'll wait until at least March to make up his mind.

P.S Can we please not argue the merits of an independent run in here? There are 50 gaboozillion threads for that already.

Jae0
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
He should wait till after all the states primaries are done.

KewlRonduderules
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
that would not be in his best interest. it is one of those states that has 'sore loser' laws

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't think so. Ron doesn't want to be humilated in TX.

We are simply running in the wrong party. The GOP is going down, bigtime.

Mystile
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
stay to the convention or bust.

RPTXState
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
that would not be in his best interest. it is one of those states that has 'sore loser' laws

They only apply for local and state elections, not Federal

Also, you're technically voting for delegates in the primary, not candidates

RPTXState
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
stay to the convention or bust.

Please tell me what five states Paul is going to win.

since if we don't get 5 wins, we can't vote for Paul at the convention.

scandinaviany3
02-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Can some one pull out the statutes and rules i hear there are like five states that are exceptions to the sore loser laws...all of this sounds like either way would be in court a lot...want to avoid since takes up super amounts of money and time.

Texas, Ohio, Mississippi,South Dakota , and Pennsylvania

http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/07/20/do-sore-loser-laws-apply-to-presidential-candidates/

IDefendThePlatform
02-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Here is one poll from Texas. We've made up some pretty big deficits at the last second, and I do believe Dr. P would do better than this in Texas, but I'm not sure I would count on it. Also, even a win there doesn't necessarily get us much traction in a brokered convention with 2,300 total delegates.

Republican Polls
Republican Primary Date: 3/4/08

Delegates At Stake: 140. Awarded Winner Takes All

IVR Polls
Date: 1/30-31
Texas
Est. MoE = 3.3% [?]

Mitt Romney 30%
John McCain 29%
Mike Huckabee 20%
Ron Paul 8%
Alan Keyes 3%
Unsure 10%
Source

RPTXState
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Awarded Winner Takes All

Well damn. I didn't even know that.

Also, who actually likes McCain in Texas? I thought immigration was important to Republicans here.