PDA

View Full Version : I Remember When The Daily Show Started...

jawrightbiz
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
And this is when the veil of the government and media control finally set in. It seemed that tons of younger people were being exposed to information they have never heard before and more started getting into politics. I feel, for me, that this is when I started to read between the lines about what is really going on. Funny to think, that it is a comedy/news program that awakens tons of people to some truths in our country. Now, with the media blackout against Ron Paul, this Sibel Edmonds thing I am reading about, and other government officials and books coming out, I dont know what to think.

Do any of you have any thoughts on where the Daily Show stands now? I realize that their is a writers strike but it seems to me that in the last year the goal of the show has been less to uncover truths in a funny/sarcastic manner, however, to almost seem to join the MSM bandwagon. Please share your thoughts with me as the beginning of this show for me was special, because it opened my eyes....

jawrightbiz
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Bump to keep it relevent

lavis88
02-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I remember watching Al Gore on either The Daily Show or The Colbert Report and he was talking about how it was rather ironic that if you really wanted to know what was going on then the place to watch was there on Comedy Central.

zach
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Isn't the word "edutainment" or something?

That's what Chris Crocker does (or he says, at least), and people generally believe he's seriously crazy.

I'm not sure about joining the MSM bandwagon yet though; I thought Colbert has been including Paul in their clips to echo the neocons' thoughts of him.

Wingman
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
no, the daily show didn't cause the government shut down of communications.

the govt started misleading people of its own accord because of cheney and bush's control and the neocons plans.

we were just fortunate the daily show was there to keep us alerted about it.

constituent
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
i think that here lately john stewart has been an unabashed shill for the establishment.

i still have some faith in colbert though.

ItsTime
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
john stewart did not start the daily show

nunaem
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
i think that here lately john stewart has been an unabashed shill for the establishment.

i still have some faith in colbert though.

Really? I've gotten the opposite impressions from those two shows. Colbert does lots of bits mocking conspiracy theorists, he interviews guests who call the NAU 'kookery' and frequently marginalizes Ron Paul. TDS tends to stay away from those topics.

Jaykzo
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Both shows go against the grain of the establishment just enough where it doesn't look outlandish or radical.

It's a watered-down anger of the government. The shows are also purely for entertainment, which means that they focus on criticizing Washington, not coming up with solutions and inspiring any sort of action.

I'd say the average Daily Show or Colbert Report viewer has a general disgruntled attitude towards the government. And I'd say most of them would vote Obama. So they're about halfway to understanding our message, they just need a little more time to learn and be convinced that libertarianism is the only way our country can survive.

RonRules
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
You'll NEVER see them making fun of Israel, in the context of their treatement of Palestinians.

Smiley Gladhands
02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
At 10pm Central, The Daily Show is the least of about 172 evils (or however many channels you have). And it's done a great job at exposing hypocracy in the government and media. But Jon regularly implies that he's a shill and that he knows it...I mean, he had Chris Freaking Wallace on yesterday's show. Jon threw a few light 'jabs' at him, but even having the guy on discredits The Daily Show a bit.

The Daily Show will probably do their best to walk the line between being subservient to their masters, and exposing realities in a humorous way. But when it comes down to it, they know who their masters are.