PDA

View Full Version : Does Alan Greenspan Secretly Support Ron Paul?

max
08-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Ron Paul had been a thorn in Alan Greenpan's side for years. While serving on the House Banking Committee, RP was the ONLY one to call Greenspan on his BS while all the others Congressman worshipped almighty Greenspan. The exchanges at the hearings were always cordial, but RP often got the best of him.

What most people don't know is that Greenspan was once a very outspoken free-market, pro-Gold Standard libertarian. He later sold out to the very same Centrall Banking Mafia that he would later serve, and that RP would love to abolish.

That being said, you would expect that Greenspan's Establishment media wife (Andrea Mitchell of MSNBC), when given the chance to interview RP, would have savagely ambushed the one man who used to forcefully challenge her husband in public settings.

Well, to my surprise, the Andrea Mitchel-Ron Paul interview was an ABSOLUTE PUFF PIECE! Mitchell was extremely pleasant - even biased in RP's favor?..She threw RP softball after softball. It was like an RP infomercial! Weird stuff man.

Could it be that Greenspan feels respect for RP (and perhaps some guilt for being a sellout.) Did the once very Libertarian Greenpan praise RP during pillow talk with his wife.

Watch this very, very friendly interview. I'm pleased with Mitchell's treatment of RP...but very intrigued by it at the same time. Tell me what you think. It's the 4th or 5th item down the page. http://dailypaul.com/

constituent
08-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Maybe it's just been smart manuevering... you know... engineer a crash...

how very... revolutionary?

d'anconia
08-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There have been rumors that Greenspan is a sort of d'Anconia figure (from Atlas Shrugged). Make everyone think that everything is just fine and dandy and then whip the rug from underneath everyone and then afterword point out every single flaw wrong with the way the system was set up.

I'd love nothing more than this to be the case but in the end who knows.

ThePieSwindler
08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There have been rumors that Greenspan is a sort of d'Anconia figure (from Atlas Shrugged). Make everyone think that everything is just fine and dandy and then whip the rug from underneath everyone and then afterword point out every single flaw wrong with the way the system was set up.

I'd love nothing more than this to be the case but in the end who knows.

Alan greenspan is a pretty smart guy... thats probably his master plan :p

axiomata
08-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I have a good amount of respect for Greenspan. Obviously, he is quite intelligent (you have to be to essentially run an economy). I think with age he became more of a realist later in life as opposed to an idealist when he was younger and associated with Rand. He realized that he wouldn't be able to change the system by himself, and there wasn't enough public support for change to force a change at the time, so he agreed to the fed chief position. Who better to run it than someone who understands its flaws and the consequences of "messing up"? I think if you were to ask him today, he would still advocate the gold standard.

d'anconia
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Well why wouldn't he support RP now that he's already made his money and more or less retired? What has he got to lose?

axiomata
08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Well why wouldn't he support RP now that he's already made his money and more or less retired? What has he got to lose?
Perhaps someone needs to ask him.

d'anconia
08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Strangely enough I was just thinking about that myself. It's gotta be pretty hard to get a candid interview from him though, and you'd probably have to be bugged to get a true answer out of him.

Capitalism
08-08-2007, 08:21 PM
There's an mp3 on the Mises Institute website of a speech Ron Paul gave for the Mises Institute where he talked about his years with Alan Greenspan. He said that he got Greenspan to autograph his original copy of the Objectivist Newsletter where he advocated abolishing the Fed. Paul asked Greenspan if he changed his mind and Greenspan told him no.

If you google "My years with Alan Greenspan"+"Ron Paul" I bet you will find the mp3.

nullvalu
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Doubtful Greenspan would come out with a full endorsement, but god that would be so awesome.. so much better than Colin Powell.. oh wait, he's already endorsed someone.. :P

kylejack
08-08-2007, 08:37 PM
My opinion is that Greenspan jumped at the chance to work over the central bank because he intended to try and keep things afloat. If anyone was responsible for fiat currency not being a complete and total disaster over the last 30 years, its Greenspan. He's done the best he could with what little control he had over things. Since he's retired, I've been very worried that things are going to turn sour. The ridiculous inflation of M3 right now does not bode well.

Gee
08-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Do we even know how the Fed board of directors sets monetary policy? Or how much control the chairman really has? If not, then it wouldn't be too far off to assume that the chairman is more of a PR guy than the decision-maker.

d'anconia
08-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure he isn't exactly the dictator of the banks. 12 people meet in closed-door meetings a few times a year to decide on interest rates.

Dustancostine
08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Also I heard a clip or read it somewhere, can't remember where, but Ron Paul said he has a ton of respect for Greenspan. He even said that Greenspan was a genius insofar as he has been able to keep the currency afloat.

Maybe all those back and forths between Greenspan and Paul where "scripted" between them to show the flaws in the Fed.

Also remember that Greenspan was part of Ayn's inner "collective" with Nathaniel Branden, Barbara Branden and Leonard Peikoff.

Swmorgan77
08-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Do we even know how the Fed board of directors sets monetary policy? Or how much control the chairman really has? If not, then it wouldn't be too far off to assume that the chairman is more of a PR guy than the decision-maker.

I think PR guy/government liason is a pretty good description. The Fed Chairman is definitely NOT calling the shots.

lbrtylvr
08-08-2007, 11:07 PM
the mess the country is in today stems from Greenspan slashing rates in 2002-03

torchbearer
08-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Greenspan will be sharing a bathroom with Lucifer in hell... I see lil' redemption for the role he played in the destruction of america...

Bradley in DC
08-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Also I heard a clip or read it somewhere, can't remember where, but Ron Paul said he has a ton of respect for Greenspan. He even said that Greenspan was a genius insofar as he has been able to keep the currency afloat.

Maybe all those back and forths between Greenspan and Paul where "scripted" between them to show the flaws in the Fed.

Also remember that Greenspan was part of Ayn's inner "collective" with Nathaniel Branden, Barbara Branden and Leonard Peikoff.

The Paul-Greenspan exchanges were definitely NOT scripted.

Dustancostine
08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
The Paul-Greenspan exchanges were definitely NOT scripted.

It was just a joke. :)

smtwngrl
08-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, it does seem that Andrea Mitchell's opinion of Ron Paul is positive. Who knows about Alan's opinion??

Someone suggested that he sold out. If so, it was not when he became Chairman of the Fed. As Chairman, and in addressing Congress, he still recommended a return to the gold standard.

At some point, though, that apparently changed, as he changed his position. And when Ron Paul asked him about it, he said that he had been mistaken, or something to that effect.

Andrea Mitchell would have been with him during part of the time that he still advocated a return to the gold standard. Thus, to her it would seem familiar--not strange, as it may appear to some others.