PDA

View Full Version : Be Ready When He Runs Third Party or Independent

kylejack
02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
This convention can't be won in the condition the campaign is now in. Be ready for grassroots work when he runs third-party or independent. Start preparing yourself mentally for the change.

Andrew76
02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Cool. I'll consider it when I hear those words from the mouth of Ron Paul himself. Until then, I'll do the right thing and stay focused on Ron Paul's current campaign.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Please email the campaign and ask Ron to run independent!

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/form

werdd
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
rons gonna stay in til the bitter end, then he will decide what he is going to do. Until then STFU.

jumpyg1258
02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I would so rather have Ron run as an Independent than a 3rd party. The party system is why this country is so fucked up to begin with.

StateofTrance
02-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Ron has to worry about his congressional seat too. I don't think he will run 3rd party - the last thing he would want is MSM pulling old video clips of him and saying," look, Ron, you just flip-flopped" - do you think MSM would buy into "my supporters forced me to go 3rd party.."

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Damnation. Every third thread is third party run. Can't we consolidate these damned things?

Ron Paul's home state is Texas. Texas' one hundred forty delegates are up for grabs in one month. There is an outstanding chance that if we put those in Dr. Paul's back pocket, we've guaranteed a historic brokered convention with our man as kingmaker. Meanwhile, the Republican primary voters will have all summer to think about the odds that any of their clowns can beat their archnemesis Hillary!

Remember the Alamo?!

Jim_Karr
02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
rons gonna stay in til the bitter end, then he will decide what he is going to do. Until then STFU.

Agreed. This will be the way it should be. He got some name recognition running in the GOP. Keep pushing this for more name recognition. This is his poker hand and he is the maverick.He didn't get this far from not knowing how to play the game. Keep pushing in the GOP.

NinjaPirate
02-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Ron has to worry about his congressional seat too. I don't think he will run 3rd party - the last thing he would want is MSM pulling old video clips of him and saying," look, Ron, you just flip-flopped" - do you think MSM would buy into "my supporters forced me to go 3rd party.."

First off Paul has NEVER officially set in stone that he will not run 3rd party, so the MSM can't bring up old clips and call him a flip-flopper IF he decides to go that route. He always left that .01% possibility open.

Second, running 3rd party is a bad idea, and he will need to focus on keeping his seat in Congress if/when he decides to pack it up and call it a day for the prez bid. It's highly doubtful that he will further look into a 3rd party ticket.

Finally, either way I will support him until the end.

kylejack
02-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Damnation. Every third thread is third party run. Can't we consolidate these damned things?

Ron Paul's home state is Texas. Texas' one hundred forty delegates are up for grabs in one month. There is an outstanding chance that if we put those in Dr. Paul's back pocket, we've guaranteed a historic brokered convention with our man as kingmaker. Meanwhile, the Republican primary voters will have all summer to think about the odds that any of their clowns can beat their archnemesis Hillary!

Remember the Alamo?!

Some of you people are really living in a fantasy land.

Danny Molina
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Some of you people are really living in a fantasy land.

I concur.

Texas is a neocon paradise.

allyinoh
02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
How about people go and donate instead of talking about dropping out, third party, etc.

GIVE THE MAN MONEY!!!!!! There are still lots more states left that we can be working towards.

Danny Molina
02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
How about people go and donate instead of talking about dropping out, third party, etc.

GIVE THE MAN MONEY!!!!!! There are still lots more states left that we can be working towards.

Oh I see how it is. We're magically gonna win the rest.

John P Slevin
02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
This convention can't be won in the condition the campaign is now in. Be ready for grassroots work when he runs third-party or independent. Start preparing yourself mentally for the change.

It is the only logical move.

Freedom&Reason
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=

Second, running 3rd party is a bad idea, and he will need to focus on keeping his seat in Congress if/when he decides to pack it up and call it a day for the prez bid. It's highly doubtful that he will further look into a 3rd party ticket.

Finally, either way I will support him until the end.[/QUOTE]

Running 3rd party or independent(think they are the pretty much the same) would be the logical idea. Look at all the attention Ross Perot got(even though he did have alot more money), it is easier to get more attention with only 3 people in the race. More attention means he can spread his thoughts and ideals to more people. Thought that was his main purpose for running, if he doesn't run I don't see how this will pertain to his goal. He has been elected into Congress for how many terms? Yeah I don't think he has to worry much about not being relected. Seriously what good did his 1 vote vs 400 get him anyway? How many people follow that closely on the details of politics? People are more concerned with image than trying to educate themselves.

IDefendThePlatform
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll be making "get out the vote" calls to supporters in Washington the rest of the week, but in the spirit of being ready for an independent run, here are the signature requirements to get a candidate on the ballot in the states I could find info on: (from thirdparty08.com)

California
125,915 (1% of votes cast last election)

Iowa
1,500 signatures

Kansas
5,000 (2% of votes cast last election)

North Carolina

Ohio
57,000 (1% of votes last election)

Tennessee
225 (1 for each electoral college vote, wow that's low)

Texas

That's all they had. I'm sure it wouldn't take much more than a phone call to the state capitol to find out the requirements for the other states.

I think this number of signatures would be pretty much a slam dunk with our meetup organizations and whatnot.

Also, some have brought up the legal issue of "sore loser" laws and other possible challenges. Call me an optimist, but I see these as a way to get publicity. Press Release: "Ron Paul just won another court ruling allowing him and his 200,000 petition signatures onto the ballot in ____ state."

I think an indy run would be a great way to grow the freedom movement, and he'd have an outside shot at being a real contender for the white house.

John P Slevin
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I'll be making "get out the vote" calls to supporters in Washington the rest of the week, but in the spirit of being ready for an independent run, here are the signature requirements to get a candidate on the ballot in the states I could find info on: (from thirdparty08.com)

California
125,915 (1% of votes cast last election)

Iowa
1,500 signatures

Kansas
5,000 (2% of votes cast last election)

North Carolina

Ohio
57,000 (1% of votes last election)

Tennessee
225 (1 for each electoral college vote, wow that's low)

Texas

That's all they had. I'm sure it wouldn't take much more than a phone call to the state capitol to find out the requirements for the other states.

I think this number of signatures would be pretty much a slam dunk with our meetup organizations and whatnot.

Also, some have brought up the legal issue of "sore loser" laws and other possible challenges. Call me an optimist, but I see these as a way to get publicity. Press Release: "Ron Paul just won another court ruling allowing him and his 200,000 petition signatures onto the ballot in ____ state."

I think an indy run would be a great way to grow the freedom movement, and he'd have an outside shot at being a real contender for the white house.

The logical way to get on the ballot in all 50 is independent/third party. He can accept the nomination(s) of one or more existing third parties and pick-up more than half the states as some parties (Libertarian and Constitution) already have ballot status in a number of states. In some states it''ll be logical to qualify as an independent.

One example of the benefit of accepting a third party nomination is California, because Paul supporters then don't need to petition in a state like California when you have, say, the Libertarian Party nomination, which already has status in Calif. thus eliminating one of the largest signature requirements.

The real ballot access fight for Paul would be in courts all across the country, as the Republicans would mount a full court press against him getting on the ballot, trying to keep him off in a number of states. Also, there is logic to suggest that Demos also wouldn't want him on the ballot, especially if they nominate Hillary. Both D's and R's just wish Paul would shut the hell up and go back to being a simple, never heard congressman, and preferably hoping he just would retire.