PDA

View Full Version : POWER at the CONVENTION

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
OK. You have eyes to see that it's not good. According to the ABC numbers, in fact, we're mathmatically out of the running. So? We came here to make a difference, right? Getting Dr. Paul elected was just a means to that end. Do we have another way to do this?

There are a handful of primaries between now and March 4. If McCain gets much more than 67 delegates (again, according to ABC numbers) in this handful of states and territories, he stands a pretty decent chance of preventing Dr. Paul from getting to make any kind of power play at the convention. This is not a given. Only two or three of those states are the least bit likely to go for him. Unless every one of the territories plays "pander to the leader" (which, I admit, Republicans are good at) there's a pretty good chance that he won't get them.

If McCain doesn't have another 67 delegates locked in by March 4 he cannot lock down the nomination without Texas. Texas, if you'll recall, is Dr. Paul's home state. Even if he gets 67 and a few more, if he gets less than a hundred delegates between now and March 4 the remaining states will really have to play follow the leader to give him the nomination without Texas. And I just don't think that the southern states are willing, as McCain's mama said, to "hold their noses and vote for [her] son."

To get Dr. Paul into the convention as kingmaker, we need Texas to say to hell with them all, we're voting favorite son.

There's an excellent chance we can talk them into it. Tell them Dr. Paul can curry favor for the state. Tell them their son was treated in a piss poor manner and they need to teach some damn yankees at the national party how to treat a Texan. Tell them that all three of the other candidates have a habit of sticking their feet in their mouths, and Texas will be doing the conservative cause a favor by appointing Dr. Paul as a convention safety valve. Tell them the way to prevent that liberal McCain from getting the nomination is to appoint Dr. Paul negotiator between Romney and Huckabee. Tell them the real truth--not one of those three clowns can win the general election on a bet, dare or to save their lives.

Or best of all, tell them all of the above. And throw in that if they can't provide a president this time around, at least they can provide a kingmaker.

Texas is proud. They can be convinced to vote for their own. If we are to go into the convention with power, petitions for an independent slot on the ballots of forty-six states would be power. Better still, however, would be Texas' 140 delegates in Dr. Paul's back pocket.

I say we go to work! Damn it, we've put this much work into this thing. If we don't get this much done, we throw it all away. With a Texas favorite son vote, we have 156 delegates worth of power at the convention! Why wouldn't we go a few extra yards? This is the only way to make all our blood, toil, tears and sweat do this nation some good!

Y'all know how to talk Texas? Time t'git some schoolin'!

heartless
02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
bump

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Hello? Avalon has an interesting analysis of convention tactics up, too. Can we look forward please?

Cinderella
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
it wont work if we dont work it!!!! so lets get dirty everyone and spread that message!!!!!!!!!!!

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Time to take a clear-eyed look, people. What are conservatives getting themselves into? They don't have one candidate who could possibly win in November. Not one.

The warhawk can't even consolidate the conservative base--and no one outside the base wants anywhere near a hundred more years of war.

The flip-flopper made such a mess of the Big Dig even the Republicans seem to have awakened to the fact that he's a losing proposition from the word go.

Even many evangelicals are scared of Huckabee unless they're Southern Baptist.

All three are prone to foot in mouth disease.

Add to that the economy crashing, the war turning sour again and the fact that soon Republicans will have all summer to view discouraging polls and come to the realization that they have jerked off their chances of beating their archnemesis Hillary and the convention could be mighty damned interesting--if we get our man in a position to play kingmaker!

Now are we going to wear sackcloth and ashes and wail and gnash our teeth, or are we going to use the next month to put one hundred and freaking forty Texas delegates in our man's back pocket?!

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Just because they've been conspiring against us, what makes you think the three stooges are buddies enough to settle their differences like gentlemen before the convention?

We need to put Dr. Paul in position to be the power broker at the convention--and his home state can put him there if we win it for him. Period.

That's not to say I won't be working on getting his name on the ballot here as an independent. That's just to say we don't need to submit those ballots until he says he can't do anything with the three stooges at the convention!

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

Redcard
02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Something else to look at and understand is this.

If we have the power to kingmake, anyone with MORE delegates than us does too.

JordanQ72
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
he cannot lock down the nomination without Texas. Texas

I confused about your logic on this point. McCain could get 0 delegates in Texas and still run away with the nomination. He needs to get 400 out of the outstanding 1100 delegates.

Ethek
02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I confused about your logic on this point. McCain could get 0 delegates in Texas and still run away with the nomination. He needs to get 400 out of the outstanding 1100 delegates.

It does look like McCain is running away with this thing right now. Its still too early to tell. I think Ron Paul's real power is us. Every other campaign has seen the 'omnipresent' supporters that Ron has. They also know he has funds and manages to draw a consistent 5-10 % of the vote.

Paul can hang an independent run over McCain's head like a guillotine. Huck despite his swing delegates (if they even matter) can't do this and neither can Romney. The GOP will see a glimmer of hope for a victory if Obama looses the Democratic nomination to Hillary. Ron has the showing to sink it all for them.

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM

I think you're seeing some skewed numbers. Wikipedia shows 988 left and ABC shows McCain lacking over six hundred to secure the nomination. Add in that we're doing our damndest to pack the delegations through volunteerism and quiet activities and I really, really don't think anyone has the thing sewed up. And as for the others being kingmakers, that is true--but since they all want to be king, I sincerely doubt they'll do it. Only the one who gives up on wearing the crown can bestow it on another. Which of the three stooges do you figure is sufficiently lacking in ambition to do this?

JordanQ72
02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I think you're seeing some skewed numbers. Wikipedia shows 988 left and ABC shows McCain lacking over six hundred to secure the nomination.

Wikipedia and ABC? :rolleyes:

Here's a fun little project for you. Add up how many delegates according to wikipedia have been given out, then compare to how many ABC has given out.

There's 1100 left and McCain has 775+ at this moment. My earlier analysis of a big turn around for Romney in California was way off, though I did call Huckabee's impressive delegate turnout.

As for your other question, Romney is out very soon. He's looking at a 500 delegate deficit compared to McCain, and he's not showing anything promising in the outstanding states. His major pockets were his 'home' states of Utah, Mass, and Mich, as well as anywhere else with heavy mormon pop, like Nevada. Plus, he has no donations coming in. He has the cash of his own to go all the way, but I don't think even he's dumb enough to waste it. I don't think he'll make it through the weekend. As for Huck, well, I don't know, but even if he stays in, I don't see him swinging it away from McCain.

RageAgainstDC
02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I think you're seeing some skewed numbers. Wikipedia shows 988 left and ABC shows McCain lacking over six hundred to secure the nomination. Add in that we're doing our damndest to pack the delegations through volunteerism and quiet activities and I really, really don't think anyone has the thing sewed up. And as for the others being kingmakers, that is true--but since they all want to be king, I sincerely doubt they'll do it. Only the one who gives up on wearing the crown can bestow it on another. Which of the three stooges do you figure is sufficiently lacking in ambition to do this?

i bet you either one of them would do it for a good cabinet position or a vp slot. trust me, the gop absolutely will not, under any circumstances, nominate ron paul president. we've been arguing that they are against us for months, now all the sudden they're going to nominate us because of a brokered convention? get real...

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
i bet you either one of them would do it for a good cabinet position or a vp slot. trust me, the gop absolutely will not, under any circumstances, nominate ron paul president. we've been arguing that they are against us for months, now all the sudden they're going to nominate us because of a brokered convention? get real...

And what was the first line of my OP? Even so, our buried delegates and a whole summer of crashing economy and polls showing the G.O.P. bunch that none of the three stooges can win the general election will change the mood by September. I've also been looking over the conservative blogsites--have you?

After all of this effort, why would we walk away with nothing? Texas is a great bet, because they would be voting for one of their own, and they love that. The three stooges they don't love. I say again, Texas is power. What do we have to gain? Whatever concessions we can win at the convention. What do we have right now?

MrHellebusch
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Does Texas do a caucus or primary?

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Does Texas do a caucus or primary?

Primary--and if the winner gets anything above 50% it's winner take all!

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://files.meetup.com/637551/Ron_W...The_Gipper.pdf

Who can change some of the text on this flier? We need to incorporate some of these ideas about why it behooves Texans to, basically, hire Dr. Paul to broker this upcoming convention into this!

jblosser
02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Primary--and if the winner gets anything above 50% it's winner take all!

PER CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT.

There are 3 delegates per CD. If someone gets 50%, all 3 go to that person. If not, it's 2/1 provided someone gets 20%.

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
“Our goal has always been to walk into the national GOP convention with as many delegates as possible,” said Ron Paul 2008 campaign manager Lew Moore. “The number of delegates we won yesterday could very well be the difference in a Convention where no one has a first-ballot majority. With Dr. Paul’s home state of Texas coming up, we feel we can enter the convention with a substantial number of delegates.”

There you have it. I'm glad someone agrees with me, damn it! The official campaign is now saying we have 42 delegates. We get all of Texas with a homeboy appeal campaign, and we send him to St. Paul with 182! That's over 15% of what is needed to win and will result in all of the three stooges kissing his rump from day one.

Platform planks? Cabinet post--maybe AG or Secretary of State? VP?

I say it's the least we owe the doctor as a thank you gift for his tireless dedication to our liberty.

jkm1864
02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
You actually believe our vote counts. Remember Louisiana I was there the GOP does not care about us and They do not care to win. The election is a staged football game and a side show the elite put on to make us feel special. We do not matter to the elite we are just chafe for their fire.... Can You say cannon fodder and to say its not so is just plain ignorant. Look at the evidence Paul is the only one that can put a smack down on Hillary or Obama. They are all crooks playing a side show and trying to win a damn cookie... When are You people going to wake up We are not going to win Texas because its not in the rich mans cards .... We do not make a difference the only thing we can do is play them at their game.... Start small congress vote sleeper cells into the government and sieze the power. Oh and God forbid exercise You're second amendment rights and buy a nice rifle and ammo and Hide it somewhere.