PDA

View Full Version : Proper Canvassing Can Grow This Campaign Exponentially

expatinireland
02-06-2008, 05:46 AM
The Official Campaign has not really developed the Canvass the way it should.

The Canvass is the basic building block of political organisations especially one like ours which has a compelling message that is totally unique and superior to the rest.

We have reached most of those who are reachable in cyberspace but we need to reach our share of those who are still tied to print, tv and radio. Our message of hope will resonate with them as well but we need to get out there with more workers to deliver our message effectively. Ideally neighbours should be talking to neighbours.

This will take more people on the ground and here is how to do it

Every time you knock on a door and come across someone with an open mind you must think of them not only as a prospective vote but also as a prospective worker who can also recruit another worker who in turn can recruit another worker and so on and so on . . .

We should look at growing this organisation exponentially similar to a multi level marketing or pyramid organisation with the obvious difference that we are working on a totally different motivational plane.

When a political organisation is built out their should ideally be one worker for every 100 households maximum and in this way there will be no mistaking that RP has a significant presence in the community as everyone will know someone who is working for Ron Paul.

The canvassing process takes time to execute properly and the Official Campaign was definitely late out of the starting block. It would have been better if the Official Campaign would have been more pro active on this but it can still be done in spite of them.

If Ron Paul continues in the Republican Party, those in the remaining states can improve their results by starting to ask everyone who gives them a positive response to help with the campaign - just distributing literature doesn't work any better for a political organisation than it does for a sales organisation.

If on the other hand, Ron Paul decides soon to go independent, given our numbers already committed there is plenty of time to build out an organisation that can win the Presidency in November.

Best of luck to us all.

expatinireland
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
now that everybody is awake on your side of the Atlantic.

firebirdnation
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
John McCain swept California without a single canvasser on the ground.

expatinireland
02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
John McCain swept California without a single canvasser on the ground.

That is because the Republican sheeple are predisposed to his mindset. Working within the Republican party framework is an uphill battle for us which makes the one on one contact of canvassing that much more important.

If you don't have the monetary resources you have to develop the people resources first.

firebirdnation
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
That is because the Republican sheeple are predisposed to his mindset. Working within the Republican party framework is an uphill battle for us which makes the one on one contact of canvassing that much more important.

If you don't have the monetary resources you have to develop the people resources first.

I have to disagree, bugging people at home is a turnoff for most voters. John McCain was the only one who bombarded this state with Television ads, and all the local talk radio hosts were pulling for Romney. The older generation still relies on the media and commercials IMO. Its the only difference I seen between the McCain and Romney Campaigns were the television commercials. I tried the door to door canvassing, and people just don't want to be bothered here.

expatinireland
02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I have to disagree, bugging people at home is a turnoff for most voters. John McCain was the only one who bombarded this state with Television ads, and all the local talk radio hosts were pulling for Romney. The older generation still relies on the media and commercials IMO. Its the only difference I seen between the McCain and Romney Campaigns were the television commercials. I tried the door to door canvassing, and people just don't want to be bothered here.

From your writing I assume you are in California. I can't speak to what works in California but I have found that canvassing worked where I have used it in the past which would be in Illinois, Florida and Ireland. Of course every area has its cultural differences and I wouldn't pretend to know anything about Californians

Everywhere, it is the case that there are at least some people who do not like people knocking on their doors. And, if you are one of those who do not like their door being knocked on canvassing would be an alien activity for you.

To a certain extent it does take a thick neck to succeed in politics. Canvassing usually gets a better response when a mixed sex pair do the work.

As i wrote originally a major benefit of the canvass is to find supporters who are not connected to the internet who we might be able to convert to workers. I actually see the canvass as much as an organisation building activity as a vote drive activity.

firebirdnation
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
From your writing I assume you are in California. I can't speak to what works in California but I have found that canvassing worked where I have used it in the past which would be in Illinois, Florida and Ireland. Of course every area has its cultural differences and I wouldn't pretend to know anything about Californians

Everywhere, it is the case that there are at least some people who do not like people knocking on their doors. And, if you are one of those who do not like their door being knocked on canvassing would be an alien activity for you.

To a certain extent it does take a thick neck to succeed in politics. Canvassing usually gets a better response when a mixed sex pair do the work.

As i wrote originally a major benefit of the canvass is to find supporters who are not connected to the internet who we might be able to convert to workers. I actually see the canvass as much as an organisation building activity as a vote drive activity.

Didn't we have a A LOT of canvassers in NH? What good did it do us? I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I think canvassing is overrated. I have family all over the US, from NY to CA, but none of them enjoy door to door salesmen. Its the same deal when it comes to calling people and bugging people at home, its why we ended up with the national No Call list. About 75% of the houses in this area had no-soliciting signs. There are better things we could be doing such as getting Ron Pauls videos on local public TV, advertising locally, etc.

TonySutton
02-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Ross Perot did well because he paid for primetime TV to talk to the American people.

Not sure what it costs but even a 30 minute show nationwide would dovetail nicely with a strong grass roots organization. The idea is to get everyones attention and give them your best sales presentation.