PDA

View Full Version : Impact of Door-to-Door Canvassing???

Ex Post Facto
02-06-2008, 02:09 AM
With tonights voting, how should we handle doing canvassing. It seems it will be a bit harder to do. When things were wide open it was easier to talk with people. I'm wondering what the thoughts are on how we should approach this.

Ex Post Facto
02-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Hmm...nobody canvasses on these forums?

WRellim
02-06-2008, 03:31 AM
I've given this some SERIOUS thought, as Wisconsin's Primary is in TWO weeks.

And as I am a realist myself... and an HONEST MAN... I cannot find myself actually telling people (and longer) that I believe he still has a chance to win anymore.

In which case (especially if people believe a McCain nomination is virtually assured) I have thought of the following:

"Oh, well, since you're certain McCain is going to win I guess you're right in that there really is no point in going to vote for him. ...By the way, did you know Senator McCain plans on rigging it so that our troops STAY in Iraq for another 100 years? and he's says we're going to have to start MORE WARS, and he's already insinuated that we may have to reinstate the draft to do that -- you know you COULD vote for Ron Paul as a way of PROTESTING that, since Dr. Paul is the only candidate -- Democrat OR Republican -- who is truly AGAINST the war, it would be a way of letting the two parties know just how many people want the troops to be brought home. If you think that's important."

What do you guys think? Will it get us SOME votes? Looking for Feedback here.

Akus
02-06-2008, 03:33 AM
I've given this some SERIOUS thought, as Wisconsin's Primary is in TWO weeks.

And as I am a realist myself... and an HONEST MAN... I cannot find myself actually telling people (and longer) that I believe he still has a chance to win anymore.

In which case (especially if people believe a McCain nomination is virtually assured) I have thought of the following:

"Oh, well, since you're certain McCain is going to win I guess you're right in that there really is no point in going to vote for him. ...By the way, did you know Senator McCain plans on rigging it so that our troops STAY in Iraq for another 100 years; and he's already insinuated that we may have to reinstate the draft to do that -- you know you COULD vote for Ron Paul as a way of PROTESTING that, since Dr. Paul is the only candidate -- Democrat OR Republican -- who is truly AGAINST the war, it would be a way of letting the two parties know just how many people want the troops to be brought home. If you think that's important."

What do you guys think? Will it get us SOME votes? Looking for Feedback here.

Just keep stressing that this battle is not about winning states, but about the final conventino desicion. Give some kind of a John Kerry or George Bush's analogy, depending on the political preference of the ignorant asshole you talk to.

morlhzd
02-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Look into your state laws, goto state/county GOP meetings --- Find anyone possible to become a delegate - even if you have to vote for someone else the first or second round - you'll be able to vote freely later on. Become a delegate at all costs (I think each state is quite different in how they are selected).

Ex Post Facto
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm just thinking door-to-door might be more difficult. Possibly Newsletters on the porch might be more time efficient.

MrZach
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm just thinking door-to-door might be more difficult. Possibly Newsletters on the porch might be more time efficient.

It is very easy to throw a piece of paper away. Don't get me wrong - I've canvassed this way as well... but door-to-door is going to have more success for you in the long run. Talk to people. That is what they respond best to. I've literally talked to 1000's of people now and I've seen it with my own eyes.

Appeal to people's integrity.

slamhead
02-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I only did republicans in my precinct as the deadline for changing had passed. If I was to do it again I would not waste any time on people that have an "A" absentee next to their name. They vote early and are the reason Giuliani got 5% in California. Avoid the people who show a high conservative value and vote every election. They are Mitt and McCain Fox news watchers. Try and identify a few dozen people that are open to Dr. Paul and keep revisiting them and calling them. I made the mistake of thinking they would get out and vote and marked them as a possible voter. Of 460 voters in my precinct only 73 turned out to vote for the republican ticket. I got 8.2% in my precint with 6 votes. Two from my household. There were people who told me that they would vote for Ron Paul. I called them on election day and I am sure they did not go out and vote.

firebirdnation
02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Hmm...nobody canvasses on these forums?

I try to stay out of these canvassing threads since some folks feel that you have to follow their exact plan for canvassing or they personally flame you. I have tried canvassing and literature drops and I prefer literature drops. Most people do not like to be bothered by door to door salesmen / saleswomen. I have yet to find many people who enjoy unannounced visitors who show up at their house, yet we continue to bother people at home. John McCain swept California and I didn't see a single supporter, sign, bumpersticker, etc, but I did see a LOT of very high quality television commercials. And according to what I heard here, he is financially broke. Of course he also was not shut out by the media, which is probably another reason he won here, but I also didn't see any mitt ads either. I am going to suggest we use non-intruding methods of getting Rons message out there.

mavtek
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I canvassed 70 homes last weekend. To me it's a waste of time, I'm sorry, people are going to hate me, but a few people can only go and talk to so many people. This would probably work fine for a congressional campaign, or if we had 2 people doing it in 60% of the precincts.

We don't so in my opinion join a meetup if you haven't already, find a local PAC or form one that will conform to your values. Call people in your precinct, tell them about Ron Paul, tell them about your PAC and tell them about local candidates who you are supporting.