PDA

View Full Version : Already Republican or only did so for Ron Paul?

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 01:42 AM
my theory is that most of Ron Paul's supporters are from outside the GOP. Which is why he should go iNDY. The GOP is way too stupid to see the light. They want to lose.

I voted Libertarian when I was in Iraq in '04. Then when I got home I registered Democrat (because I thought I threw my vote away in Iraq). But I ONLY did it to protest the war. I still considered myself Libertarian (even though I am for controlled immigration and pro-life initiatives sponsored by the Fed gov't SHORT of any criminalization of it).

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 01:52 AM

The00viper
02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I leaned towards Democrats (because I never saw a true Republican before - just Neocons) but honestly didn't give a crap about politics.

Then the true Republican showed up and I found out I was a hardcore Republican all along.

molly_pitcher
02-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Wow, I'm the only born Repube thus far!

tomveil
02-06-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm still a democrat.

I still believe that a "Ron Paul Democrat" would be possible.

Once the country is on firm financial footing and people are prosperous, we can squabble about how best to run the country. (Myself I think that safety nets and unemployment are just fine, as long as they are temporary)

Starks
02-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Put me in the Democrat category.

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm still a democrat.

Once the country is on firm financial footing and people are prosperous, we can squabble about how best to run the country. (Myself I think that safety nets and unemployment are just fine, as long as they are temporary)

As long as they are not Federal? That's my view.

tomveil
02-06-2008, 02:01 AM
As long as they are not Federal? That's my view.

Almost certainly that is the case. People need different things in different states. I don't see why Washington would know best.

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Wow--look at all the Dems! Go iNDY.

QCB79
02-06-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm very anti Bush admin and only really paid attention to politics since 2000 when i was rooting for Gore and he got screwed out of office. Then in 2004 when the sheep voted Bush in AGAIN!. I finally registered to vote last year and i registered Democrat because I didnt want anything to do with Bush and his cronies......then along came Ron

morerocklesstalk
02-06-2008, 02:05 AM
I leaned towards Democrats (because I never saw a true Republican before - just Neocons) but honestly didn't give a crap about politics.

Then the true Republican showed up and I found out I was a hardcore Republican all along.

You're not the only one. For many people who have just recently been involved in politics, the idea of Republican or Democrat really has little to do with the actual principles on the economy and gov't and more with just public perception.

I would be a hardcore Republican if all the canidates actually preached small gov't, very low taxes, and minimal regulation.

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 02:31 AM
so far only 40% Republicans -- but 11% had dropped out. So 29% Repubs. See why we are SO wrong to JUST go after the GOP?

expatinireland
02-06-2008, 03:30 AM
There really wasn't a choice for me in this poll so I voted drop out.

Over the years I have been registered in both parties shifting when I felt my vote might make a difference in a particular primary. Sometimes I have shifted to vote in a local primary and at other times to vote for a national candidate. Overall I have been registered as a Republican about 2/3 of the time.

All I can say is that I am a fiscal conservative but not a true believer.

The only US campaigns I have worked on was my own as an independent for city council, McGovern's when I was in college, Ross Perot's and recently for the Green Party here in Ireland.

As I mentioned I am a member of the Green Party in Ireland. It is the only truly democratic party I have ever come across. For example, when it came time to decide the party position on the EU's Lisbon Treaty, the decision was put to a debate and vote by the party members.

westmich4paul
02-06-2008, 05:07 AM
I'm still a democrat.

Agreed dio not let the Repubs fool ya there are conservative Dems out there. Ones that believe is not raising taxes just making them proportionately fair between the classes, ones that do not believe in a welfare state but do believe in temp handouts to those in dire need. We are out there. I think Ron's message would and has faired much better with Democrats than Republicans. Especially since the Republicans have become fiscally worse than the Democrats as far as spending is concerned.

Danny Molina
02-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Option 4, but i'm staying a Ron Paul Republican.

nodope0695
02-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Always been registered republican. I voted for Ross Perot in 1992. Didn't vote in 1996 due to being on deployment to persian gulf. Voted for GWB in 2000 and 2004. I figure supporting Ron Paul is one way to redeme myself, and I've always been libertarian minded. I played like a sheeple in 2000 and 2004 by voting along party lines and for no other reason. I still feel guilty for that.

Thank God I woke up and had my apathy cured.

IDefendThePlatform
02-06-2008, 05:49 AM
I leaned Republican for a few years, voted for Bush in 2000. Then came to my senses and voted Libertarian in 2004. Switched back to Republican to vote for RP. Now I've already switched back to being a registered Libertarian.

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
bump

MJfromCT
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
I generally think to vote Republican first as I am a fiscal conservative to the core. Sadly, they usually offer a candidate that fails to meet my litmus test and then I vote whoever is closest to my ideals. I always vote my conscience even if it is a third party candidate. This is why I will not waiver from Ron Paul.

thehittgirl
02-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm very anti Bush admin and only really paid attention to politics since 2000 when i was rooting for Gore and he got screwed out of office. Then in 2004 when the sheep voted Bush in AGAIN!. I finally registered to vote last year and i registered Democrat because I didnt want anything to do with Bush and his cronies......then along came Ron

Yeah..that's why I went from Repub to Indy. I am getting out of Republican today. Don't want to stay. I know some might disagree, but I'm ticked.

Rob
02-06-2008, 10:35 AM
A note of caution about this thread.

I've done A LOT of work for the campaign in Michigan and have met many different supporters. I can say with certainty that in Michigan, the majority of Ron Paul supporters are Republicans or disaffected Republicans. The majority are also Christians.

These boards are NOT representative of who is voting for us.

I'd estimate (from Michigan) we have about 65% of some type of Republicans making up our voters and about 75% Christians. The number of truthers that support Ron Paul is also very low I'd estimate about 10 to 15 percent. Again this is from my experience in Michigan.

If you looked at these forums, you'd think the majority were liberal atheists, and that may well be true about these forums, but now out in the real world.

I'd also like to add there are major discrepancies between the average Ron Paul voter and the "hardcore supporters"

Atheists, marijuana activists, peace activists, and truthers make up a disproportionate part of our "hardcore" supporters.

This is all very important and you need to think about the big picture. If we run independent, you can expect everyone on the forums and all the hardcore supporters to still supporter Ron Paul, but we're going to lose a substantial chunk of our base. If you think that people who already vote for Ron Paul won't vote for the Republican nominee, you haven't been talking enough to our casual voters, and believe me we have MANY of them.

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Thank you for the good, reasoned post. Great info. But I disagree with you saying that we will lose "substantial support". We don't have substantial support. We have like 8% support--at the VERY most (average it out--and be realistic--you will agree it's 8% at the very most--and it's way too late for a brokered convention).

I disagree and don't think we get support mainly from christian/republican types--I think that is unique to your experience--and besides, that ground obviously isn't that fertile compared to other, broader ground--just look at our results, even in Michigan, your example. But, also, I absolutely have never thought we would get our support from pot smokers, truthers, etc.

Our support comes, and will come in a HUGE way if we go iNDY, from people who are anti-war, pro-constitution, and most importantly TIRED OF BEING LIED TO, TIRED OF LOBBYISTS, AND HUNGRY FOR THE TYPE OF STATESMAN ONLY RON PAUL IS.

People will vote for Ron Paul for his record that is so amazing, and so different, even if they disagree with some of his stances. Proof: The same exact thing made me, my wife, my father-in-law, father, grandpa-in-law, and on and on (including many family members I never proselytized to!) choose Paul: HIS HONESTY--the fact that he's not a "politician" like ALL the others. Once they hear that he has never gotten lobbyist money, never changed his stances, AND ONCE THEY HEAR HIM SPEAK, they are hooked.

But not the GOP sheep--the pro Iraq war types. That is why we have to get out of the GOP.

If we go iNDY, we will also get all the anti-war GOPers. Plus, we might get more GOPers than that if McCain is the nominee--because of immigration and character (he cheated on his wife and is married to his mistress now).

Plus, we haven't got to capitalize on running anti-war ads, especially with veterans in them supporting him. We need to make a much bigger deal about the amazing amount of money he raised from military members (more than all the Republicans put together) in ads, etc.

We also haven't capitalized on his being an Obstetrician for 30 years, and so much more. His name recognition is extremely dismal--we need a fresh start with exposure in every state--not just those left in the GOP race.

A note of caution about this thread.

I've done A LOT of work for the campaign in Michigan and have met many different supporters. I can say with certainty that in Michigan, the majority of Ron Paul supporters are Republicans or disaffected Republicans. The majority are also Christians.

These boards are NOT representative of who is voting for us.

I'd estimate (from Michigan) we have about 65% of some type of Republicans making up our voters and about 75% Christians. The number of truthers that support Ron Paul is also very low I'd estimate about 10 to 15 percent. Again this is from my experience in Michigan.

If you looked at these forums, you'd think the majority were liberal atheists, and that may well be true about these forums, but now out in the real world.

I'd also like to add there are major discrepancies between the average Ron Paul voter and the "hardcore supporters"

Atheists, marijuana activists, peace activists, and truthers make up a disproportionate part of our "hardcore" supporters.

This is all very important and you need to think about the big picture. If we run independent, you can expect everyone on the forums and all the hardcore supporters to still supporter Ron Paul, but we're going to lose a substantial chunk of our base. If you think that people who already vote for Ron Paul won't vote for the Republican nominee, you haven't been talking enough to our casual voters, and believe me we have MANY of them.

HippyChimp
02-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Raised a Republican, woke up to thier lies and by the time I reached voting age I was a Libertarian. Registered Republican a couple months ago to vote for Paul here in NH. Will vote for Paul regardless of his party affiliation.

mudhoney
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I was registered independant previous to voting for Ron Paul in Iowa. I had voted Democratic for several federal offices (to punish the neocons). Locally I've mostly voted Libertarian and Republican.

I had always found myself agreeing with most of the republican platform, but I realized none of them seem to follow it. Now that I've found Ron Paul, I'm glad to register republican.

Brian in Maryland
02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I have been registered Republican for close to 30 years. I have been waiting a long time for someone like Dr. Paul to come along. He is my hero. If he does not get the Republican nomination I will be leaving the party and going independent.

azzuth
02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
i was so very disheartened that no politician ever told me anything i felt i could believe, even for a second. I was sick of seeing them say one thing one day and the opposite the next and NOONE calling them out on it. I stuck my head in the sand and cried for my country, well I have pulled my head out and realized that nothing will change if smart people continue to do nothing. The idiots have controlled the show long enough, it is time for a change. (And not jus the word change like Obama and Hilary tout. Real change, viva la rEVOLution!)

LibertyRevolution
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Hope this poll helps people understand that RP base is not the GOP.

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM

You get it!

barbz
02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm totally embarrassed to say that I was a Democrat sheeple... always voted a straight Dem ticket without even look at who and what for. My god, I was sound asleep at the wheel.

Satyricon
02-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Was Libertarian. Might switch back. Have yet to decide either way.

Luckily I haven't gotten any nauseating GOP fundraising calls/letters yet, which probably would've made my decision easier. :D

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
exactly 1/3 republicans here so far

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
bump

jsu718
02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Voted in 1996 for Dole, and Bush as Governor. Both were better than the alternatives. Voted in 2000 for Bush... better than the alternative. Realized in 2004 that voting against both Democrats and Republicans was best for America, and voted for Badnarik. The world has changed for me ever since. I see the lies for what they are and the parties for what they are. I spend most political conversation now talking about how both parties are only power hungry and spending-happy.

LittleLightShining
02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I've been registered Independent since I could vote and only just joined the GOP last week. Even though I'm in an open primary state, I want the Republicans I talk to to take me seriously. And I'm really inspired to get involved on a local level and change the party from the inside out.

ETA that I am a Christian, if that matters.

DanFreh
02-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I am a young voter (25) but have always been in to politics. I was swayed by my fathers point of views and registered republican. I voted for Bush in 2000. after the horror of his first term I was completly turned off by politics altogether, I couldnt stand Kerry and there was no way in hell I was voting for Bush. Then I found the Libertarian party and loved what they were saying. so I voted for Badnarik in 2004 I havent changed my party(and Im glad I didnt so didnt have to go through the bullshit of voting this year)

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
still only exactly 1/3 Republicans

pcosmar
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I am an Independent voter. That was not an option so I did not vote.
I do not belong to a party, though I have leaned towards the Republicans in the past.
This constant push towards the GOP and the lack of any real difference between them is souring me on Parties in general.
I am an American.
I will vote FOR America and against Globalism.

Mandrik
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I voted "third party" but my voter registration card said Unaffiliated until I changed to Republican for RP. I planned on staying Republican, but I'm so disgusted by the way the GOP treats RP. Maybe he's a Republican for life because he was once part of the party when his platform was their platform, but I wasn't. I'm 27 years-old, and those "glory days" of the party are gone. I don't want to be a part of their neo-con agenda. I'm sure when this is all over I will be right back to being unaffiliated.

yongrel
02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I was an unaffiliated libertarian.

Before Ron Paul, I was very politically aware, but I mostly sat on the sidelines and bitched. Now, I'm taking action.

all J's in IL for RP
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM

You get it!

Far from it. Your poll seems to be proving you wrong, Colecrowe.

Those that are (R)epublican, affiliate with the republican party or are recently reactivated republican trending voters are pulling over 50%, and I suspect a great many of the 3rd party types, as with the poster two up, have flirted with the Republican party in the past. A good portion of the parents of the Dems, as well, probably went for Reagan.

And, as stated by Rob, this board is not representative of our core voter base. You can check the exit polling data for verification, instead of simply denying it. So the percentage received here is skewed towards the bottom of your poll. And the results and exit polls do not at all reflect those in the party who look favorably upon our guy, but for some reason or another, mainly the question of viability within the primary process, didn't vote for him.

You people taking the first opportunity to jump ship on the Republican party are abandoning the fight against the Neo-con wing. The plan is for a brokered convention, and I still see it as a distinct possibility. Romney has not dropped, as many of you thought he would today. Huckabee isn't going anywhere, despite what you all have been saying for months. And the party is about to take a long, cold, hard look at who the front-runner is and panic. Talk radio has been ripping McCain for a month and a half. For those unfamiliar with the process, in brokered conventions, anything can happen. This may or may not be the nomination, but as delegates are freed and sympathizers affiliate with Paul, our message within the party is magnified beyond the percentages thus far gained in the open primaries. This could be the seminal event for our movement to take back a large portion of the party. But if his troops abandon the fight before we can even get to St. Paul, it could very well die there.

And make no mistake that some of those trying to lead you OUT of the party are, in fact, doing so with the purpose of facilitating the entrenchment of the neo-con wing. This is an open board, and we know we have been infiltrated.

LynnB
02-06-2008, 08:16 PM
The correct choice for me would have been, registered Dem (mostly due to local elections) but voted Indy in pres. elections.

colecrowe
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
bump

colecrowe
03-05-2008, 12:33 AM
bump

dvdrink
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
We're going to lose the Dems who crossed over for Paul if we don't go third party.

Dems are not going to stay and help "rebuild" the party for 8 years, only to see Romney or Jeb Bush get the nomination next go around.

Robert Stark
06-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I was an independent and than reform. I voted for the LP candidate Badnarik in 2004. I registered Republican to vote for RP and I am still a republican because I believe in rebuilding the party even though I am voting for Baldwin.

SnappleLlama
06-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Was a registered Republican until a year or so ago. Then I became an independent, which I remain to this day.

I'm all about that handsome Ron Paul, though!!

MikeStanart
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
my theory is that most of Ron Paul's supporters are from outside the GOP. Which is why he should go iNDY. The GOP is way too stupid to see the light. They want to lose.

I voted Libertarian when I was in Iraq in '04. Then when I got home I registered Democrat (because I thought I threw my vote away in Iraq). But I ONLY did it to protest the war. I still considered myself Libertarian (even though I am for controlled immigration and pro-life initiatives sponsored by the Fed gov't SHORT of any criminalization of it).

You have to understand how much change we've made in the GOP already!

This isn't an over-night conversion!

If we give up on the GOP and go INDY, all we do is throw the ball back into the Republican - Democrat ring.

This is a two party system, we can't change that! We CAN CHANGE THE GOP!

In Texas, we are already making ripples in the GOP. We cannot view ourselves as Democrats, or Independents.... We must view ourselves as Republicans in order to win the other Republicans back over.

The Republicans are LOST! We must continue to show them the way BACK!

liberalnurse
06-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I was a lifelong democrat until Ron Paul, condsidered myself a liberal. ( I was wrong.) I discovered with Ron Paul educating me that I definately identify with the Libertarian philosophy. However, during my year plus journey, my mission with Ron Paul, I can now say with certainty that I'm neither red nor blue, liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican. My allegiance is to myself, my family, my God and my Republic.

TheTyke
06-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Hehe.. when Mom and I registered to vote many years ago Dad advised that we go Republican. We didn't trust either party, but he said that occasionally we could have a voice in primaries and such. Guess he was right... so I'm one of those "life-long Republicans"... sorta.

mport1
06-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Never have been or will be a Republican.

kombayn
06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Never have been or will be a Republican.

+1

Ozwest
06-30-2008, 05:08 AM
Seriously.

Is there a difference between Dem's and Repub's?

Neither party deserves respect.

Set the dogs on e'm, I say.

weslinder
06-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Among those delegates that I coordinated in Texas, Reagan Republicans and converted neocons outnumbered third-party types 3-to-1. And the influence of the Reagan Republicans and converted neocons was much stronger. We're having an effect on the GOP already. When the GOP gets trounced this Fall, we have to be ready to step in, take the leadership spots that are abandoned, and tell them how to win. Barring some unforeseen power shift in the country, the Revolution will occur through the Republican Party. Leaving the Republican Party makes you a distraction instead of a Revolutionary.

Ozwest
06-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Among those delegates that I coordinated in Texas, Reagan Republicans and converted neocons outnumbered third-party types 3-to-1. And the influence of the Reagan Republicans and converted neocons was much stronger. We're having an effect on the GOP already. When the GOP gets trounced this Fall, we have to be ready to step in, take the leadership spots that are abandoned, and tell them how to win. Barring some unforeseen power shift in the country, the Revolution will occur through the Republican Party. Leaving the Republican Party makes you a distraction instead of a Revolutionary.

Power to ya.

But I seriously doubt it.

When your average joe feels the pinch.

Things will happen.

Then patriots like you will make your mark.

Kevin_Kennedy
06-30-2008, 08:04 AM
This was the first election I was able to take part in, having just turned 20 a few weeks ago. I considered myself a Democrat mostly because my parents are Democrats and I never really knew much about politics before I discovered Dr. Paul. Only 6 months ago I was completely clueless about anything. I remember I had a paper due for an English class back in December, and it had to be on one of the people running for President. I ended up not even doing it because I didn't know anything and didn't feel like basically filling my paper with a whole lot of fluff. Had I known more about Ron Paul at the time I'm sure I would've aced the assignment.

I now see myself as more Libertarian than anything else, though I'm a registered Republican.

Ozwest
06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
This was the first election I was able to take part in, having just turned 20 a few weeks ago. I considered myself a Democrat mostly because my parents are Democrats and I never really knew much about politics before I discovered Dr. Paul. Only 6 months ago I was completely clueless about anything. I remember I had a paper due for an English class back in December, and it had to be on one of the people running for President. I ended up not even doing it because I didn't know anything and didn't feel like basically filling my paper with a whole lot of fluff. Had I known more about Ron Paul at the time I'm sure I would've aced the assignment.

I now see myself as more Libertarian than anything else, though I'm a registered Republican.

You are the future.:)

slacker921
06-30-2008, 08:32 AM
interesting.. so
135 were Republicans of some sort
38 were Democrats
84 were third party

The GOP really does have something to fear if these numbers apply to the folks who voted in the Republican primaries. They've been trying to paint Paul voters as mostly third party voters who came in just to vote for Paul and so there's no loss if they don't vote Republican in November (since they wouldn't have anyway..).

fr33domfightr
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Kevin,

It's good you were able to do a self-evaluation and come to conclusions about how you really feel. I'd like to know more about how people gravitate toward the Democratic Party. Any more thoughts about why they choose that party? I'm thinking a lot chose like you did initially, but don't do much research after that. With the Republican Party as it stands today, I can certainly understand the difficulty in differentiating the 2 main parties.

FF

UtahApocalypse
06-30-2008, 01:45 PM

+1 same with me.

kombayn
06-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Kevin,

It's good you were able to do a self-evaluation and come to conclusions about how you really feel. I'd like to know more about how people gravitate toward the Democratic Party. Any more thoughts about why they choose that party? I'm thinking a lot chose like you did initially, but don't do much research after that. With the Republican Party as it stands today, I can certainly understand the difficulty in differentiating the 2 main parties.

FF

I personally became a Democrat because of social issues like Abortion, Gay rights, Solar/wind energy, Medical marijuana & Health-care. On the fiscal side I found myself in love with Ron Paul which made switch from Democrat to Decline to State (Independent in California). I don't find either party with my beliefs but I have considered rejoining the Democrats and going to meet-ups promoting a Ron Paul Democrat agenda basically a true Liberal (Classical not the deformed retard version that plagues the Democrats) platform on issues. I think the best way is to infiltrate but parties to bring forth the Liberty Agenda.

speciallyblend
06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
interesting.. so
135 were Republicans of some sort
38 were Democrats
84 were third party

The GOP really does have something to fear if these numbers apply to the folks who voted in the Republican primaries. They've been trying to paint Paul voters as mostly third party voters who came in just to vote for Paul and so there's no loss if they don't vote Republican in November (since they wouldn't have anyway..).

hell look at the stats on the www.lettertogop.com . once this letter starts to roll,should make the gop wear depends;) sidster has the link somewhere that breaks down the stats

kombayn
06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
^I'm extremely excited about the letter. I just had my roommate sign it and my other roommate is planning to sign it. They both are not registered and don't care about voting since Obama is going to win California. But I did convince them to sign the letter, since I like to preach about Ron Paul.