PDA

View Full Version : Report from Blue Earth County, south central Minnesota

Mahkato
02-06-2008, 01:11 AM
I delivered a speech about Ron Paul to a packed auditorium of about 300 people and was regularly interrupted by cheers and applause. It was pretty awesome.

The county chairman then asked if anyone had any words to say for McCain. There was a moment of silence and someone in the back shouted, "He's in the other room!" (the Democrats were meeting down the hall) and the room erupted in laughter and applause. Some guy finally said he'd read a letter from McCain and did so while shaking and stuttering. Moderate applause at the end.

Next someone wearing a few Romney stickers read a speech from Romney. He did fine. Moderate applause.

Then the chairman began some closing remarks and someone interrupted, "Excuse me, Mr. Chairman, will anyone read any remarks from Huckabee?" The chairman said he had not received anything from the campaign. So the person talked for a couple of minutes about why he was voting for Huckabee. I couldn't quite hear him, but I think he began his remarks by saying that he had researched the candidates "a bit" and thought Huckabee best represented conservative values.

In the preference poll, Blue Earth County got 31% for Ron Paul, followed by 25% for McCain, 24% for Huckabee, and 20% for Romney. Blue Earth was the largest of the four Minnesota counties where Ron Paul took first place. Not all of the precincts have reported yet.

At my caucus location (there are a few in the county), we secured at least a third of the delegate spots in most precincts, all of them in several. At another (much smaller) caucus, Ron Paul took first also, with 42% in the preference poll, and secured 26 out of 26 available delegate positions. Haven't yet heard from the other caucus location.

fireworks_god
02-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Sounds great. As someone who has traveled through Blue Earth a lot on trips to visit family in Iowa and Wisconsin, it is cool to know that the people I bought gas from were real Americans. :)

slamhead
02-06-2008, 01:17 AM
I am starting to think that the caucus selection process is a superior process. I would love to get up in front of my fellow citizens and pitch my candidate. We do well in states where the people are informed..although it being at the last minute. Look at California. 10% wasted in votes for a candidate that dropped out a week ago because of absentee ballots.

Mahkato
02-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I am starting to think that the caucus selection process is a superior process. I would love to get up in front of my fellow citizens and pitch my candidate. We do well in states where the people are informed..although it being at the last minute. Look at California. 10% wasted in votes for a candidate that dropped out a week ago because of absentee ballots.

I do like the fact that it requires people to be a little more dedicated to their candidate since it takes more time and effort to caucus than just cast a vote in a primary, and it is much more of a "community politics" feeling. I don't like that it discriminates against people who have children (we had to get a babysitter; not everyone is going to pay $20+ just to attend a caucus) or have to work or have other obligations in the evening.

BreakYourChains
02-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Thank you Jonathan Kovaciny! Job well done! It is a great start for the future!

molly_pitcher
02-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks alot~! All the work is appreciated!