PDA

View Full Version : Write In: What Does It Really Mean?

TastyWheat
02-06-2008, 12:51 AM
A lot of people are saying "write in Ron Paul", but does that actually do anything? Assume he drops out or is not nominated. Does he have to register as an independent candidate for the write in to count? I'm all for sticking to principles, but if 60% of America writes in "Ron Paul" and it doesn't count I think we're better off voting for our 2nd choice.

nate895
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
They count the write in vote if it's for Mickey Mouse.

paulforpaul
02-06-2008, 01:04 AM
No registration needed for a write-in. As long as the person meets the constitutional requirements for the presidency, they can technically win via write-ins.

slamhead
02-06-2008, 01:07 AM
But make sure you put in something identifying as in U.S. Congressman Ron Paul

Bradley in DC
02-06-2008, 01:11 AM
We don't vote directly for president so unless we write in the names of the presidential electors to the Electoral College, there's no point. Many states do allow registration is write-ins with slates of presidential electors. It will take more work and organization than just writing in "Ron Paul" and expecting him to get elected.

TastyWheat
02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, if that's the case Ron Paul should definitely take the necessary steps to be eligible for a write in. I would expect people to write in Ron Paul out of sheer protest, if for no other reason.