PDA

View Full Version : Something doesn't seem right

RonPaulhawaii25
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
It is half an hour since the polls closed in Alaska and there is not even 1% of the Republican vote in yet. I hope you guys use paper ballots up there. Maybe I am just a little paranoid.

Royksopp
02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes you are paranoid.

The same thing has happened in several states tonight.

Dr.3D
02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
It is half an hour since the polls closed in Alaska and there is not even 1% of the Republican vote in yet. I hope you guys use paper ballots up there. Maybe I am just a little paranoid.

Maybe there are a lot more Republicans in Alaska then Democrats?
Still though, it seems like we would have some kind of results by now.

Rangeley
02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
The democrats started counting long before the Republicans polls closed.

No1ButPaul08
02-06-2008, 12:11 AM

This is not a maybe, Mike Gravel is the last Democrat to represent Alaska in DC. He left the Senate in 1980. The big elections in Alaska are the Republican primaries.

RonPaulhawaii25
02-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Alright that makes sense.

kyleAF
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Gravel is from Alaska?

Well, that explains a lot...

j/k :)

sidster
02-06-2008, 12:20 AM
C'mon! Give'em a break... it is difficult transporting all those ballots via dog-sled! ;)

coyote_sprit
02-06-2008, 12:20 AM

Bush WTFPWNED in the Alaska general in 2004.

mantasmatron
02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
http://community.adn.com/adn/node/117148

Big Mat-Su turnout, Obama sweeps Dems, GOP results coming
Posted by Alaska_Politics
Posted: February 5, 2008 - 9:19 pm
From Rindi White and T.C. Mitchell in Wasilla and Palmer --

Surprisingly big turnouts by both Democrats and Republicans caught party officials off guard on Super Tuesday in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.

Democrats gathered in numbers so large the borough fire marshal turned them away from the Grand View Inn and Suites and declared them a traffic hazard on the Parks Highway outside.

When voting concluded around 8 p.m., Barack Obama, U.S. senator from Illinois, had swept, winning 28 delegates of the 36 available from five state House districts between Talkeetna and Valdez. Hillary Clinton won eight delegates.

"We're making history because the Democratic Party candidate is either going to be a black man or a woman and either one is fine with me," said Wade Hampton Miller, whose caucus speech for Obama was met with cheers.

In Palmer, Republicans lined up outside the old town train depot in subfreezing temperatures and howling winds.

Jim Turner of Palmer, Republican regional chairman, said he could not meet the 9:15 p.m. deadline to report results of the presidential preference vote to the state party headquarters. He estimated that as many as 1,000 Republicans showed up at the depot.

The state party headquarters "sent us 150 ballots," he said. "I brought my copier."

They waited to vote in Wasilla, too, in a long, cold line across the parking lot at the Regan Building in a commercial strip along the Palmer-Wasilla Highway.

Steve Colligan of Wasilla, the Republican chairman there, said four to five times more voters turned out than he expected, about 700 to 800 total. The fire marshal visited there, as well, and cleared the hallway outside the polls.

Chugiak and Valley Democrats moved their party to the Wasilla High School gym, where more than 700 caucused. A relative handful of Democrats from Sutton, Glacier View and Valdez stayed behind at the Grand View and caucused with others by teleconference.

Ruth Callen, 78, a Democrat of Chugiak said, "It's absolutely unbelievable. I've never seen anything like this."

"It tells you something. You know what it tells me? They're mad, and they should be."

The Democratic turnout was three times greater than the capacity of the room that local party organizers booked for the event at the hotel, said Carolyn Covington, caucus organizer.

"I have been at every convention since 1984, we have never had this many people at a state convention," she said.

More people turned out at the Democratic caucus in Talkeetna - 57 - than attended the entire Mat-Su caucus during the presidential race four years ago, said Randy Carter, a party statistician from Willow.

Many new Republicans registered in Wasilla and in Palmer, party officials said.

"We started with 70 (registration forms) and they're more than half gone. Mostly undeclared or independents changing to Republican," said volunteer Jean Woods at 5:30 p.m. An hour later, she was making copies of the forms. She estimated a "couple hundred" had registered anew or switched party affiliation.

Colligan said many of the new registrations were probably voters new to the Valley from Anchorage or elsewhere since the last election.

Prospective Democrats formed lines to register at the Grandview, too.

Results from Republican voting were unavailable, but allegiances were mixed.

Most visible were Ron Paul supporters, steadfastly bearing placards for hours in the cold. Jim Stocker of Palmer said he waited 45 minutes for his chance to vote for Paul, a Texas congressman considered a long shot anywhere but in Alaska.

Sharlotte Sandstede voted for U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona but said most of her neighbors are Paul supporters.

Clarence Furbush of Palmer said he voted for Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor turned presidential contender.

"Huckabee. The most honest guy they've got," Furbush said.

Vetalem
02-06-2008, 12:22 AM
The dems dont have paper ballots. They just do a head count. (serious) Supporters line up into the line of their candidate and they just count every one up.

Prez22
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
http://community.adn.com/adn/node/117148

"Huckabee. The most honest guy they've got," Furbush said.

Sheesh ....... into what category do you put the good Mr. Furbush,

1. MSM Brainwashed

or

2. Americans are as dumb as rocks ;)

smtwngrl
02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
C'mon! Give'em a break... it is difficult transporting all those ballots via dog-sled! ;)

:D