PDA

View Full Version : How not to run a campaign

0zzy
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Someone suggested that the Ron Paul Campaign should be a case study of how not to run a campaign. I tend to agree.

1) Never working with the media, never returning phone calls, never releasing media advisories.
2) Hiding strengths in advertisements by pandering to a group already dedicated to vote for someone else.
3) Never calling out opponents in advertisements.
4) Buying advertisement spots that show AFTER voting.
5) etc.

I'm in a reality that Ron Paul probably won't win. Not unless something crazy (good) happens, but I am not holding my breath. Ron Paul is a great man, his campaign was shameful. The best we can hope for is be considered a "movement" candidate rather than a "also-ran (which was on MSNBC today)".

What good has come of all this? Well hundreds of thousands, of not, millions, of people have been exposed to the ideas of liberty.

What do we do from now? We organize. We create companies dedicated to liberty, we start PACs, we run for office. We start this revolution well beyond 2008.

At the moment I am thinking about starting a website, a DailyKos mixed with MoveOn mixed with AntiWar mixed with Club for Growth mixed with a resource site. Basically, the one-stop shop for the small government minded. DailyKos because the community and conferences, MoveOn because of the advertisements (in general election exposing the candidates) and sponsorships, AntiWar for the editorials, columns, blogs, (and I'll add more video and audio), Club for Growth for their ranking system, and a resource site for internships, colleges, websites, books, movies, etc.

That's what I am thinking about. But I must start off small, get some capital, see how I could get this done. Maybe later.

In my immediate future I think I will start holding events. Debates, speeches, etc. at my college. I'll call up the brightest in the world to come to the university and talk to students and future generations. I'll film it and make it available for all.

I also think I want to start a political restaurant, like a spots bar. They have plenty in Washington DC, but I would like to start some up near college campuses, major cities, etc.

What are YOU doing?

me3
02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
What are YOU doing?
Not writing off Dr. Paul.

The last thing we need right now is more negativity.

AlexMerced
02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
oh geez, we did awesome in perspective, for a campaign to pull of what he did is amazing, over 500,000 passinate supporters

0zzy
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Not writing off Dr. Paul.

The last thing we need right now is more negativity.

Well until I see progress from the campaign, I am no longer living in fantasy world. I can't have my heart broken every week. Ron Paul will continue to run, but again, unless something crazy happens, he won't get the nomination. This is not Paul's fault, nor the grassroots, but the campaigns.

0zzy
02-06-2008, 12:11 AM
oh geez, we did awesome in perspective, for a campaign to pull of what he did is amazing, over 500,000 passinate supporters

From my perspective we needed a few million more to actually win. I'm glad he's got more votes than he did in 1988, but that's not going to win him the election.

AlexMerced
02-06-2008, 12:14 AM
From my perspective we needed a few million more to actually win. I'm glad he's got more votes than he did in 1988, but that's not going to win him the election.

agreed, but if you thought condiering having the ENTIRe left and right establishment against us we'd just come out on top for the whitehouse so easily is naive. A better campaign with the media and the party against us I don't see different results.

We accomplished a foundation for something much large, we got to focus on the big picture and work on grassroots infrstructure to get people elected in all level of office

I love this message and movement and will fight for the long haul, but I'm not gonna focus oh what could of been and focus on what will be

0zzy
02-06-2008, 12:26 AM
agreed, but if you thought condiering having the ENTIRe left and right establishment against us we'd just come out on top for the whitehouse so easily is naive. A better campaign with the media and the party against us I don't see different results.

We accomplished a foundation for something much large, we got to focus on the big picture and work on grassroots infrstructure to get people elected in all level of office

I love this message and movement and will fight for the long haul, but I'm not gonna focus oh what could of been and focus on what will be

That's all I am saying. Focus on the revolution, I just think this specific campaign is about to come secondary. Unless he becomes 3rd party, he won't be in the media any longer. He will preach to the people, which is good, but I just don't see him winning the nomination.

I think a good campaign could have got better results which would have demanded media coverage. Maybe not, though, who knows. I jsut know the campaign dropped the ball more than once.

As for me, I must carry the torch as do all of you. Hopefully we can make a community that becomes an awesome power.

Oh, and still get Paul's book sold to millions. Maybe we should get someone to buy lots of his books and give them out.

AlexMerced
02-06-2008, 12:28 AM
That's all I am saying. Focus on the revolution, I just think this specific campaign is about to come secondary. Unless he becomes 3rd party, he won't be in the media any longer. He will preach to the people, which is good, but I just don't see him winning the nomination.

I think a good campaign could have got better results which would have demanded media coverage. Maybe not, though, who knows. I jsut know the campaign dropped the ball more than once.

As for me, I must carry the torch as do all of you. Hopefully we can make a community that becomes an awesome power.

Oh, and still get Paul's book sold to millions. Maybe we should get someone to buy lots of his books and give them out.

I agree with you, mistakes were made, but huge mistakes were made by everyones campaign. Media coverage killed us, but there are many reasons for the lack of it.

I've said many times what I think the direction of the revolution should be, but we'll see what the market decides.

armand61685
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Someone suggested that the Ron Paul Campaign should be a case study of how not to run a campaign. I tend to agree.

1) Never working with the media, never returning phone calls, never releasing media advisories.
2) Hiding strengths in advertisements by pandering to a group already dedicated to vote for someone else.
3) Never calling out opponents in advertisements.
4) Buying advertisement spots that show AFTER voting.
5) etc.

I'm in a reality that Ron Paul probably won't win. Not unless something crazy (good) happens, but I am not holding my breath. Ron Paul is a great man, his campaign was shameful. The best we can hope for is be considered a "movement" candidate rather than a "also-ran (which was on MSNBC today)".

What good has come of all this? Well hundreds of thousands, of not, millions, of people have been exposed to the ideas of liberty.

What do we do from now? We organize. We create companies dedicated to liberty, we start PACs, we run for office. We start this revolution well beyond 2008.

At the moment I am thinking about starting a website, a DailyKos mixed with MoveOn mixed with AntiWar mixed with Club for Growth mixed with a resource site. Basically, the one-stop shop for the small government minded. DailyKos because the community and conferences, MoveOn because of the advertisements (in general election exposing the candidates) and sponsorships, AntiWar for the editorials, columns, blogs, (and I'll add more video and audio), Club for Growth for their ranking system, and a resource site for internships, colleges, websites, books, movies, etc.

That's what I am thinking about. But I must start off small, get some capital, see how I could get this done. Maybe later.

In my immediate future I think I will start holding events. Debates, speeches, etc. at my college. I'll call up the brightest in the world to come to the university and talk to students and future generations. I'll film it and make it available for all.

I also think I want to start a political restaurant, like a spots bar. They have plenty in Washington DC, but I would like to start some up near college campuses, major cities, etc.

What are YOU doing?

I agree with you on this.

I would love a constitutionalist-minded DailyKos-like site. I really do like the dailykos community and I think such a site is ripe for constitutionalists.

driller80545
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
I think that if you need to blame something, blame the people (voters). We all learned about RP and so could anyone else that was interested enough. Why blame the media, campaign, etc. when the responsibility lies with the voters.

0zzy
02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I think that if you need to blame something, blame the people (voters). We all learned about RP and so could anyone else that was interested enough. Why blame the media, campaign, etc. when the responsibility lies with the voters.

You're right on this one. My teacher voted for Romney cause "he's strong on immigration, and I'm against the war. I heard he'd get us out within 6 months".

Or NH "ANTIWAR MCCAIN! YAY!"

etc.

intelliot
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I agree. People need to THINK more. I know so many people who simply take what the TV says and act based on that. If they do not want #1 to win (McCain) then their only option is to vote for #2 (Romney) in hopes that he wins instead. That's extremely sad.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
02-06-2008, 12:41 AM
People who voted for the other guys are fucking retarded. Can we leave it at that?

kirkblitz
02-06-2008, 12:43 AM
meanie

AlexMerced
02-06-2008, 12:44 AM
People who voted for the other guys are fucking retarded. Can we leave it at that?

that's why we need to take their hand and guide them to enlightenment, they can't be discerning voters till we help them open their eyes, and it's best done in person, one by one.

We've movement, and it takes time, but we'll win the war