PDA

View Full Version : Depression Diagnosis and Firearms license?

josephadel_3
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I was diagnosed with depression when I was a minor. Will that affect me acquiring a firearms license?

Dequeant
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm not quite sure anymore. I would have said absolutely not right up until the NRA passed the veterans disarmament act. Now your backround check could be denied and you won't have a clue why.

josephadel_3
02-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I guess there is always kung fu and archery.

josephadel_3
02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/f/gunlaw_me.htm

Do I even need a license?

bbachtung
02-06-2008, 12:02 AM
No. And for God's sake, don't mention that. Unless you were institutionalized against your will, then you are fine.

Some states require you to have a "license" to own a gun, most do not.

pdavis
02-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Assuming from the link you provided you are from Maine. Maine does not require you to obtain license to purchase or own a firearm. However, you will have to submit to a background check. As long as you were not submitted to a mental institution or, your psychiatrist/ psychologist has not deemed you as a danger to the public or to yourself you should be okay.

josephadel_3
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Alright, thanks guys. I was never a threat to myself or others. So I just submit a background check, wait a week or so, and then purchase the gun? I don't have the money for one right now, but will eventually.

RedLightning
02-06-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't know how Maine is, but in Texas you go to the dealer, give them the money, fill out a form 4473, and they call in a background check which takes about 5-10min, and you leave with the gun.

RonPaulFTW08
02-06-2008, 03:19 AM
I don't know how Maine is, but in Texas you go to the dealer, give them the money, fill out a form 4473, and they call in a background check which takes about 5-10min, and you leave with the gun.

I like Texas.

Primbs
02-06-2008, 03:26 AM
I was diagnosed with depression when I was a minor. Will that affect me acquiring a firearms license?

They would like it to affect you.

There are many soldiers with training who have become depressed from Iraq that have to worry about their right to have guns in the future.

wv@SC
02-06-2008, 07:55 AM

Basically the same in SC. The money is about the only part that hurts:)! 2 years ago I bought over my lunch hour and came away with purchase! Should be the same now!

Jim_Karr
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM

It don't matter. It is your right to own a gun. You can get a gun so easy without back ground checks. Check the no box if it is from a gun dealer you want to purchase one there or just have a friend buy it for you or buy one off a private citizen. I am sure everyone who is worried about the future has one that is stashed away for when the time comes.An unregistered one that is.Buy one and some rounds and hide them.You allways need atleast one un registered gun just to be on the safe side.

Jim_Karr
02-06-2008, 11:10 AM

PA. is the same way.

driller
02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I have PTSD and it has me worried. I like to hunt birds and have three shotguns that I purchased a few years back. Will they take them away from me? Can I go buy a handgun legaly?

Why have they not notified me of my not being able to have a gun?

Should my wife have the guns in her name now?

Jim_Karr
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I have PTSD and it has me worried. I like to hunt birds and have three shotguns that I purchased a few years back. Will they take them away from me? Can I go buy a handgun legaly?

Why have they not notified me of my not being able to have a gun?

Should my wife have the guns in her name now?

If they come I doubt it though,Just tell them you sold them. End of story.