PDA

View Full Version : What other states can we claim in a brokered convention?

Avalon
02-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm from Georgia and I know that if we pull out the stops we can deliver 69 Ron Paul supporters here (of 72 delegates) to the RNC through the caucus/convention process over the next few months. This will involve lots of canvassing and conversions. These delegates will be bound the first round at the RNC (if Huckleberry Hound is still in) and possibly the second round (if the Huckabeast gets 35% in the first round, extremely unlikely). But before we fully commit ourselves to this task (and to the financial obligations of attending the RNC etc), I'd like to know which other states we can similarly grab (and in what round).

Here's a potential scenario, assuming current momentum continues, and only Georgia's delegates become unbound after the first vote:

First vote:
McCain 49%
Romney 25%
Chucklebee 24%
Paul 2%

Second vote:
McCain 49%
Romney 25%
Chucklebee 21%
Paul 5%

Obviously we need to be stealing delegates from McCain, not Huckabee and (in this case, where he's right on the edge of victory) we need to steal more than he gains from newly unbound delegates in each round. This will continue the process until everyone is unbound and we either have a stalemate, or win.

Since we know Huckabee has aligned himself with McCain, are there any states where the winner can force (RP supporters as Huck's delegates) to vote for McCain? Obviously we can expect the WV delegates Huck won today to swing for McCain whenever Huck wants (even on the first round) but I'd guess in most states the winner doesn't select his slate?

Avalon
02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Can I get some help? I'm trying to be productive here.

Avalon
02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
bump

acptulsa
02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, productive doesn't seem to be on people's minds today. FYI, Oklahoma's delegates are unbound only if McCain drops out. 25% of them or so are ours.

May I direct your attention to my equally ignored thread titled POWER at the CONVENTION? See what you think. This sort of thing is needed before we can deadlock the convention, anyway, I suspect.

Avalon
02-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, productive doesn't seem to be on people's minds today. FYI, Oklahoma's delegates are unbound only if McCain drops out. 25% of them or so are ours. So that 25% is only worthwhile for voting on rules/platform? Are there alternates and do they attend the RNC? I'm asking what happens if our 25% in OK just doesn't show up (even if they have to travel to St. Paul to headfake the state GOP)? Would McCain simply lose those delegates?

Avalon
02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
No one wants 69 delegates? I need the latest information on other states so I can rally the troops down here and get us all to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen.

JordanQ72
02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
This is true of almost any state. I only know of 3 or 4 that never have delegates become unbound. On only purely unbounded delegates you can win in the 3rd ballot. Winning this way by backhanded use of a brokered convention isn't implausible, the problem is there probably won't be a brokered convention.

politicus
02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
The green papers website summarizes the state rules:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/

Avalon
02-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, I could spend hours going through all the rules of all the states and figure out which ones (knowing nothing about our efforts/numbers on the ground, the local disposition towards Paul, the GOP's organization there, or the normal attendance at caucuses) we have a decent chance in. But I've got enough work cut out for me (the precinct caucuses start a week from Saturday!) and you guys should know your own state!

tonyr1988
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
That's very encouraging - make sure you keep telling Paul supporters that there's hope, and tell supporters of other guys that McCain is over, so they shouldn't even bother. ;)

Avalon
02-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, I'm personally very discouraged right now. If I don't have evidence of similar efforts going on in other states I'm going to have a lot of trouble convincing supporters tomorrow to caucus much less recruit hundreds of others.

dante
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Avalon similar efforts are happening in every state that did not have delegate slates that were voted on in the primary.

Its a must that you do this. Dr. Paul is counting on a brokered convention to be able to force some change in the party.

Avalon
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Avalon similar efforts are happening in every state that did not have delegate slates that were voted on in the primary.

Its a must that you do this. Dr. Paul is counting on a brokered convention to be able to force some change in the party. Sorry, that will not be good enough to motivate enough people enough at this point. Please give me real info I can use!

dante
02-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Ok what more real info do you need? Its happening in every caucus state and in every state where delegates are chosen through a convention process. There is nothing more to say. Georgia must do this as well.

tonyr1988
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah, it's tough (impossible) to get any real information about it, since everything has to be sooooo unofficial - sometimes "undercover."

Sometimes I have my doubts on how well it's going in other states, but all you can do is try your hardest to make sure that your state isn't the one that messed it up for everyone. :)

Avalon
02-07-2008, 08:44 AM
There's no way I can motivate enough people with "other states are doing it." To win Georgia, myself and a lot of other people are going to have to take the next week off of work (which my employer won't like). I don't need details like "we've got this # in this county and this # in that one", I just want posts here saying "We're pretty confident in having Kansas with # delegates locked up. We have enough people who are still sufficiently motivated." I need to show a real strategy to these people that we can reasonably hope for.

If you don't want to reveal secrets, PM it to me.

fabijo
02-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Bump this thread. Delegates are our key. Sure, people say there may not be a brokered convention, but come on - at least have the delegates in case there is one!

Here in New York, the delegates are chosen by the candidate (or in coordination with the candidate).

Last night, Ron Paul supporters in Michigan quickly answered the call to get delegates in. It worked out well for them, because Romney had just announced he was putting his campaign on hold. From the reports I'm hearing, they got in plenty of Ron Paul supporters as elected delegates to go to the National Convention.