PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul soon to be out

jrich4rpaul
02-05-2008, 11:34 PM
We came 3 million short of the fundraising goal that was needed by today. The Paul campaign will NOT operate in debt like the others. Ron Paul said as long as there is support and money coming in, he will keep fighting. We've never come short of a goal this badly, and after today we may see more reluctance than ever to donate.

People would rather donate to grassroots efforts because the campaign is "incompetent". Well I hope you realize that the campaign needs money to just be in the race as it is. We stop donating because we don't like how they run things, and there's no more Ron Paul.

nate895
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Run INDY and we have an instant money bomb.

Edu
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Not!

jrich4rpaul
02-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Run INDY and we have an instant money bomb.

Why did everyone give up on this run and hope for a third party run?

AlexMerced
We came 3 million short of the fundraising goal that was needed by today. The Paul campaign will NOT operate in debt like the others. Ron Paul said as long as there is support and money coming in, he will keep fighting. We've never come short of a goal this badly, and after today we may see more reluctance than ever to donate.

People would rather donate to grassroots efforts because the campaign is "incompetent". Well I hope you realize that the campaign needs money to just be in the race as it is. We stop donating because we don't like how they run things, and there's no more Ron Paul.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113160 <---- there's the answer

Ron2Win
8 Million for the quarter. it was 5 mil by Super Tuesday.

ForLibertyFight
This might sound crazy but how about a

Paul/Bloomberg ticket?

We wouldn't have to worry about money :p

doronster195
02-05-2008, 11:39 PM
If only Bloomberg didn't have a terrible foreign policy. Plus, do you think America will vote for a Jewish guy?

Jae0
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM

No they wanted a 5 million bosst by super tuesday. We started with three million. 3+5 = 8

rp08orbust
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Paul/Bloomberg ticket?

Yes, that is crazy.

ForLibertyFight
02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
If only Bloomberg didn't have a terrible foreign policy. Plus, do you think America will vote for a Jewish guy?

I wouldn't care if he was Jewish as long as he did his job to the best of his abilities. But I guess the rest of Americans don't think like I do. Damn nazis :p

Enzo
I've donated 4 times in the last week.

Please people.. keep the donations coming. Your money has not been wasted.. and it will not be a waste.

People who donated to Giuliani and Thompson wasted their money. Because they got nothing for it. Giuliani and Thompson represented nothing different or new in their platform or ideas.

Ron Paul has already changed the discussion on major issues at hand. He's injected meaningful discussion in every debate. He's forced the economic issue. He's planted the seeds of dissent from tyranny in the minds of many Americans.

And perhaps even more amazing, he's inspired people to run for senate and congress on his platform.

None of this would have happened, were it not for the generous donations.

jrich4rpaul

Are you sure? Because we were at 3.4 mil when they put up the "5 million dollar boost by 2/5" widget with the 8.4 mil goal

fastmanfunnay
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
can you blame people for not voting? his campaigners obviously dont know how to use the funds.

Jae0
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Are you sure? Because we were at 3.4 mil when they put up the "5 million dollar boost by 2/5" widget with the 8.4 mil goal

They wanted 8 million for Super Tuesday. People were confused.

ronpaulitician
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM
At the beginning of January, they told us they needed $23 million in January.

$5 million is nothing to sneeze at after the $20 million quarter, and the Iowa/New Hampshire/etc. results, which surely disappointed some enough to lessen their support for Paul.

Enzo
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
They wanted 8 million for Super Tuesday. People were confused.

Sadly, I think this is very true :(

People saw $5 mil.. and thought bam! Done... and promptly stopped donating.

Jae0
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
We need mre money though. Bottom line. No Money no chance.

ChickenHawk
02-05-2008, 11:46 PM

His domestic policy is even worse than his foreign policy. No Ron Paul supporter would ever vote for Bloomberg unless they were a seriously confused individual.

Enzo
02-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Bloomberg is truly a joke.

He thinks he can buy the presidency.. That's the only reason he's thinking of running.

qh4dotcom
02-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Don't forget Liebermann was Gore's VP in 2000 and they won the popular vote. Liebermann is Jewish.

However I don't see how a Jewish Bloomberg would accept Ron Paul's position about not being a nanny to Israel.

literatim
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Really nice of you people that have already voted to dictate this. Go to hell.

Shink
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
can you blame people for not voting? his campaigners obviously dont know how to use the funds.

No amount of money to the campaign could lift the media blockade. Shit--we only smashed all-time records in American political history.

Keep pushing the message. By the way--if you call yourself a supporter but choose not to vote for him, I call you a worthless spectator.

Ron2Win
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Sadly, I think this is very true :(

People saw $5 mil.. and thought bam! Done... and promptly stopped donating.
Wow, that is truly ineptitude of the campaign.

What about the people that only learned about Dr. Paul 1 week ago, did they know about the boost or the 3 mil already gathered?

wtf??

I thought it was 5 mil and 8 mil for the quarter...

Xyrus2
02-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I think the big reason for donations drying up isn't lack of support for the message or Paul, but a lack of support for HQ.

Seriously, how many people have seen a Ron Paul commericial aside from YouTube? How many people have received flyers, or phone calls, or heard radio ads? I would have expected that the boards would have lit up a little here with some reports of this, but it seem like it was all grassroots guys trying to get chipins for newspaper ads and such.

I've donated a good chunk of change to the campaign (not maxed out yet), but my enthusiasm for donating to the campaign has dwindled. And it's not because we're losing primaries. At this point, I'm more inclined to just donate to my local grassroots efforts and other chipins, since the impression I have been receiving from HQ is not very good.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still doing mailers and canvassing. I still support Ron Paul 250%. I just don't have nearly as much faith in HQ as I once did.

~X~

Jae0
02-05-2008, 11:59 PM
I havent seen or gotten anything from HQ... BECAUSE IM IN INDIANA. Of course a lot of people arent going to see anything. They cant afford to get stuff for everywhere!

"I thought it was 5 mil and 8 mil for the quarter..."

Why would he only want 8 million for the whole quarter?! Thats not enough to do anything with

Goldwater Conservative
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Why would he officially drop out? Even if he runs out of money, he could just let his name stay on the ballot and hopefully pick up more delegates. Dropping out would get him no more delegates and unbind those he already has. Other candidates drop out to save political face and endorse someone else, but Paul doesn't care about the first and won't do the second. His campaign will either forge on or wither, but it won't die outright, or at least it wouldn't make sense for them to put an end to it that way.

Dave Pedersen
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Donations have been quite strong with new donors making up a big percentage of the total donors each day. If HQ would let 200 staffers go they could make the donations last a lot longer without losing any effect.

damoncrowe
02-06-2008, 12:05 AM
I thought 5 million by 5th and 8 by Q too. I'm broke, though, so my donating is done for awhile.

blakjak
02-06-2008, 12:05 AM

Have you seen the results tonight?

virginiakid
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Something tells me that we are about to see a McCain sweep.

Bruno
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
speaking of buying the president, where is a billionaire to support you when you need him? (not Bloomberg). If money were no object, the word could get out.

syborius
02-06-2008, 12:09 AM

Paul/Bloomberg ticket?

We wouldn't have to worry about money :p

yeah, how about a Paul/Giulliani ticket? :rolleyes:

smtwngrl
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM

Yes, you hit the nail on the head--words of truth. I've been thinking the same thing. I don't think they're broke yet, but it could get to that point. I don't think Ron Paul is planning to run 3rd party, but if he leaves the race because of lack of sufficient funds, he definitely won't.

Alex Libman
02-06-2008, 12:28 AM
The only point of running as a Republican was to be in the debates. Period. It's time for Ron Paul to switch to the Libertarian Party.

LibertyRevolution
02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
The only point of running as a Republican was to be in the debates. Period. It's time for Ron Paul to switch to the Libertarian Party.

This is how I feel.

AlexMerced
02-06-2008, 12:33 AM

I agree, but I don't think the libertarian party is the answer

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-06-2008, 12:37 AM

An independent run would be better, and then perhaps folding the Libertarian Party into a new party in a couple of years, after the 08 election. The LP is a complete mess. It needs a fresh start under Ron Paul's banner.

The Libertarian Party has been thinking about switching its name to the Liberty Party, and this would be the time to do it. The thing about libertarians is that we have to be reasonable and practical. Arguing that the government cannot build roads or fire stations if a LOSING position and will doom the LP to its current status forever. Libertarians need to learn to be more practical, like Ron is.

TastyWheat
02-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I thought failing to meet the goal was pretty pathetic. I gave birthday money to his campaign. I redeemed the money in my coin jar and gave that to the campaign too.

Alex Libman
02-06-2008, 01:02 AM
No one party can hold a monopoly on (small-l) libertarian politics, but IMHO the (big-L) Libertarian Party is good enough for now. If you want other small-l parties [WP] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_libertarian_political_parties#United_State s), there's the Boston Tea Party, Capitalist Party USA, Personal Choice Party, Jefferson Republican Party (which might be a good choice for Ron Paul), etc. Which one he picks is up to him.

The disadvantages of running as an independent are very significant. He'll have to use his own funds to do what the party infrastructure could do for him, like dealing with state bureaucracies to get on ballots. The Dems fought like hell to exclude Nader in 2004, and the Reps will undoubtedly be 10 times worse on "traitor Paul"! And he'll no longer be able to say that he's running on "message" rather than charisma because the message is much better represented by those aforementioned parties.

A lot of people (like myself) would vote for a Libertarian Party candidate over Ron Paul if he's running as an independent. A vote for Ron Paul as an independent in 2008 will not be worth anything come 2012, while parties can build momentum, elect people into local offices, build up party infrastructure, build name recognition, etc.

jrich4rpaul
02-06-2008, 01:12 AM
I saw it brought up here.. it's a really good point that if Paul sees the donations aren't coming in anymore, he definately won't run 3rd party.

It's not about ads or HQ ineptitude. The simple fact is that HQ needs money just to keep traveling to speeches and keep the staff payed, and keep Ron Paul in the race until the end.

WRellim
02-06-2008, 01:19 AM

The market loses confidence in a company's management and ability to get results -- they stop buying its stock.

Whining about it doesn't make any difference, the confidence is still lost.

IMHO, I am actually absolutely ASTOUNDED at the fact that the campaign raised over $5 Million in approximately 1 month -- that is virtually the equivalent of what was raised in the ENTIRE 3rd Quarter, and almost matching the monthly average from the 4th Quarter as well.

In order to reach the "stratospheric" totals of an Obama, it would have been necessary for the campaign to actually WIN an early state.

"Momentum" = Market's Confidence. Same thing different description.

(And keep in mind that MANY very intelligent savvy people who supported him did NOT max out. Indeed even Ron's own former partner Burt Blumert had not yet maxed out by the end of the 4th quarter; whether he did so in 2008 would be a good question, but something tells me that since he waited until the 3rd Qtr to even MAKE a donation, and did not donate ANYTHING in the 4th Qtr, that he did not max out this year either.)

WRellim
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
I saw it brought up here.. it's a really good point that if Paul sees the donations aren't coming in anymore, he definately won't run 3rd party.

It's not about ads or HQ ineptitude. The simple fact is that HQ needs money just to keep traveling to speeches and keep the staff payed, and keep Ron Paul in the race until the end.

Actually, since the number of staff (and rental space, office equipment, etc) needed to be increased primarily to deal with Feb 5th and 20 states happening at once... a lot can be "trimmed" there.

They out to be able to run for several more weeks on minimal donations. (NOT trying to lessen donations... just stating a factual reality).

Nash
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM

He won't be getting any more debate invites.

He should retain his dignity and go out in style and drop out with a big press conference and a rally.

I don't want to see him become a laughing stock like Mike Gravel.

He can then encourage the liberty movement to keep going forward and we can find a new candidate for 2012 and do this all over again, but have better results.

dan barry
02-06-2008, 01:34 AM

Because half of us here aren't even Republicans. Ron Paul ran in the Republican Party so he could be in the debates. Now that the debates are over, its time to take the next step. Especially since the Media/GOP ignored him, he deserves to turn his back on the Republicans.

buffalokid777
02-06-2008, 01:36 AM

I don't think the Libertarian party is either.....

I'm thinking Constitution party....they seem to have more infrastructure in place than the Libertarian party...RP has already received endorsements from the constitution party....

If a 3rd party run is in the cards.....

what better party for Ron Paul, who we all know as "The champion of the constitution" than a constitution party run?

smartpeople4ronpaul
02-06-2008, 01:39 AM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 01:39 AM
The ratio of new donors to repeat donors (about 40% and INCREASING) means that his support is growing and growing. But, more importantly, I think it means that people are less and less willing to give more if they've already given once, twice, or five times (like myself, my father, grandfather, and army buddies)--unless he is going to go iNDY. I just can't afford it. But I could make myself afford another 500 or even way more if he went iNDY because I know he could win! (don't give me crap--I gave over $1,000 in Q4, as well as about 20-30 hours of canvassing and calling--I know not enough time, but I would do 3 times that when he declared iNDY because I have a much less demanding schedule now)

my dad said he'd donate another 500 to Paul (IF he announces 3rd party) (he donated 200 on Dec. 16th--but that was when it seemed like he REALLY could maybe, possibly win the Nom. I would donate 500 the day he declares (even though it will hurt financially), whereas I can't afford to give anymore (I gave just over a 1,100 in Q4 to the cause--so shut up) for his Republican run; and gramps would probably wager another 1776.00

The 2nd and 3rd tier, broader-base of supporters aren't (many or most of them) going to donate MORE--if they already have once--because TO THEM it is obvious or at least nearly certain that he's not going to get the Nom from the Republican party (I'm not saying I believe that--but they DO). However, they would be very willing and enthusiastic about supporting him in an iNDEPENDENT run.

buffalokid777
02-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Because half of us here aren't even Republicans. Ron Paul ran in the Republican Party so he could be in the debates. Now that the debates are over, its time to take the next step. Especially since the Media/GOP ignored him, he deserves to turn his back on the Republicans.

agreed.

I was always non affiliated, I held my nose an registered GOP to vote for RP, tommorow....I'm changing back to "No party affiliation" like any other sane american who doesn't want to be associated with the dirty republicrats, and their duopoly of power sharing.

virginiakid
02-06-2008, 01:44 AM
actually there is another debate, its to be announced .

RPinUptownChi
02-06-2008, 01:46 AM
--

colecrowe
02-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Already Republican or only did so for Ron Paul? Poll: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113511

agreed.

I was always non affiliated, I held my nose an registered GOP to vote for RP, tommorow....I'm changing back to "No party affiliation" like any other sane american who doesn't want to be associated with the dirty republicrats, and their duopoly of power sharing.

wowabunga
02-06-2008, 02:00 AM
A good pair of shoes and our minds and we will do just fine in the coming months. Burn some CD's to hand out like candy. Get a used laser printer and become the media and print out fliers and leave the info where ever you frequent on a daily basis. Educate Educate Educate.

dan barry
02-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Fuck this Republican shit. Ron Paul needs to start a new party called "Fuck the Neo-Cons". That should get him some media coverage.