PDA

View Full Version : Jury Nullification

Bluedevil
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
More old videos by Ron Paul. Here he is heading a panel on jury nullification, very ineresting, more people need to understand this concept.
Part 1 of 3 http://youtube.com/watch?v=pA4GKG__B-s

More information on jury nullification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

dspectre
08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Bluedevil,

This is a great!! I found this very instructive, thanks for the post!!!

Green Mountain Boy
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Jury Nullification is a very powerful tool in checking the power of the gov't. Unfortunately it is not used often as it should be.

dspectre
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Ron Paul is my Hero!! The more I find out about him, the more I like him.

Man from La Mancha
08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Jury nullification is great if the judge goes along with it and he should to protect his truth that he is supreme ruler in his maritime court. The American flag no longer flys in most courts in the USA any more. We now have a gold fringe flag that has been incircled and taken the flag over by the banksters gold. The true USA Flag is 3 colors and is 1x1.9 in dimension and is only red, white and blue. The rule of the flag is the most ancient law out there. He who can keep his flag flying over his territory rules. King of the hill type of deal.

NoxTwilight
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I will be sending this to everyone I know!

Bluedevil
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I just thought of an idea. Emails can travel very fast across the country. I think that most people would be very interested in jury nullification and would forward it to their friends as a type of chain letter. Obviously the video with Ron Paul would be included, so it would be free press for him.

NoxTwilight
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
I just thought of an idea. Emails can travel very fast across the country. I think that most people would be very interested in jury nullification and would forward it to their friends as a type of chain letter. Obviously the video with Ron Paul would be included, so it would be free press for him.

This is a great idea. Normally I really hesitate sending anything but this, just like freedom, should be interesting and enlightening to everyone and if they learn about Ron Paul (and we all know once you hear him speak, you have to know more) what could be a better combination.

This could really be a huge contribution Bluedevil. Way to go!

Man from La Mancha
08-08-2007, 08:21 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP I know this not directly about getting Ron elected but after Ron. then voter fraud, this issue is the most important one out there. If some one is convicted by these new anti liberty laws WE THE PEOPLE can do something about it right now. This is my second sorry because I will bump many more times. Watch your hero tell us how to stop the travesties against us. WATCH THESE VIDEOS is a MUST!!!!

thomaspaine23
08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
More old videos by Ron Paul. Here he is heading a panel on jury nullification, very ineresting, more people need to understand this concept.
Part 1 of 3 http://youtube.com/watch?v=pA4GKG__B-s

More information on jury nullification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

The Surest way to get OUT of jury duty? Tell the judge you know about
Jury Nullification. Guaranteed you will be excused POST-HASTE....

winston_blade
08-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Ron Paul is so smart, he makes my head hurt sometimes.

EvoPro
08-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Wow, that was a great set of videos. It's also a good idea to send these to people via email as suggested by BlueDevil.

bbachtung
08-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Check out http://www.fija.org

Man from La Mancha
08-08-2007, 10:04 PM
bump

NoxTwilight
08-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Here is the email I am sending out. Will be sending another group to a few of my clients so if anyone has suggestions ....

__________________________________________________ ___

As you know I will rarely send links or videos out to people but I was amazed at the information in this video. It is in 3 parts, please take the time to watch them as it is important for every American to know about this. I would be interested in knowing how many of you were aware of this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pA4GKG__B-s

You can confirm this information and find out more here:

http://www.fija.org/

Many of your may have heard about Ron Paul by now, he is in this video, I hope you will want to learn more about him after watching this. He is running for President and to give you an idea of how much I believe in him. I, as a lifetime Democrat, have just registered as a Republican so I can vote for him in the Primary. Hell must have frozen over :)

Hope you all don't mind me sending this to you and if you think it's worth while, please pass it on.

__________________________________________________ ___

mport1
08-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Wish more people knew about jury nullification.

"The Surest way to get OUT of jury duty? Tell the judge you know about
Jury Nullification."

Yep, so true. But I've always wanted to get put on the jury for a drug case and then convince everybody to not convict because drugs should be legal.

trispear
08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Jury Nullification. Guaranteed you will be excused POST-HASTE....This is true. I have long been a supporter of jury nullification but the jury's power over time has been trampled upon by the court to the point where the judge wants to instruct the jury to the letter - that you "have to do this" or "have to do that".

Of course, you can vote how you want in a jury regardless of the myriad of rules, the judge won't ever tell you this though.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
bump

Bluedevil
08-09-2007, 03:31 PM
I wrote out a quick email that could be sent to your friends and family. If someone who has studied this more than I have wants to add or subtract from it that would be great.

Being called to jury duty typically incites frustration and anger. Individuals are called away from their busy lives to sit in a courtroom. Jury duty typically incites boredom because individuals are simply expected to hear the facts of a case and explicitly follow the instructions of the judge. Jurors, as instructed by the judge, have little to no say in determining the justice of a case.

This, however, is not what was intended by the Founding Fathers. The Founding Fathers were concerned that the government may become tyrannical, and as such created a number of provisions to prevent such abuses. Power was decentralized both horizontally between the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial Branches, and vertically between the federal, state and local governments. There were to be popular elections, held intermittently, to insure that representatives were upholding the will of the people. Finally, cases were to be tried by a jury, to create a final check on the powers of government. Thomas Jefferson wrote, “I consider trial by jury as the only anchor yet imagined by man by which a government can be held to the principles of its constitution.”

Jury Nullification is a de facto right of jurors to judge not only the case, but also the law itself. This right dates back to English common law and it was widely regarded and used in early America. A jury can deliver a “not guilty” verdict if they believe that the law in question is unjust. John Adam, second President of the United States, said of jurors: "It is not only his right but also his duty… to find the verdict according to his own best understanding, judgment, and conscience, though in direct opposition to the direction of the court." John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States said, “the jury has a right to judge both the law as well as the fact in controversy.” Chief Justice Harlan F. Stone said, “the law is on trial quite as much as the cause which is to be decided.” However, jury nullification poses a distinct threat to the power of government and so attempts have been made to diminish this power. While justices have been unable to remove the power entirely, they have attempted to hide this power from the people. In the decision of Sparf v. U.S., Justice John Harlan held that a trial judge had no responsibility to inform the jury of its right to nullify laws. Thus, it is extremely rare that a juror is instructed of this right by the judge. To make matters worse, lawyers risk being held in contempt if they inform jurors of their right to nullify the law.

The founders realized that unjust laws could be and often are made by government. Many people today accept a law to be “just,” simply because it is law. A survey of history could quickly dispel this belief. In America, slaves were treated as property by law and afterwards the Jim Crow Laws relegated African-Americans to an inferior position in society. There are countless other examples of unjust laws being enacted by government. The purpose of the law is to protect the life, liberty and property of all individuals. Fredric Bastiat said, “it is not true that the function of law is to regulate or consciences, our ideas, our wills, our education, our opinions, our work, our trade, our talents, our pleasures. The function of law is to protect the free exercise of these rights, and to prevent any person from interfering with the free exercise of the same rights by any other person (Bastiat 64).” In recent years, contrary to its purpose, the law has intruded further and further upon the rights of the individual.

As a juror you have the right, if not the duty to nullify unjust laws. Next time you are called for jury duty, see it not as a burden, but as an opportunity to restore justice to the law.

For more information:

The Fully Informed Jury Association
http://www.fija.org/

Ron Paul video: Part 1 of 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pA4GKG__B-s

Capitalism
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I wish there were more of these programs available online. It's my understanding Ron Paul regularly recorded TV shows for quite some time.

Man from La Mancha
08-10-2007, 02:36 PM
bump

freelance
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Jury Nullification. Guaranteed you will be excused POST-HASTE....

Yes, now the judges instruct the juries. I never did take instruction well, even as a child.

richard1984
08-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah. That was really awesome! Who were those two guys talking with Ron Paul? They were right on, too. Let's get them in the administration.

Great post! :D