PDA

View Full Version : Don't Lose Hope. Thing are going according to plan

christagious
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Read the article
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/34128

DELEGATES? A MUST READ! IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD!
Posted February 5th, 2008 by eilif

original article at http://ron-paul-campaign....

Tuesday, February 5, 2008
The Super Tuesday Winner

So what is the strategy for Super Tuesday? Who will win BIG on today's Super Tuesday of voting? Will it be Senator McCain? (The crowd begins to cheer!) Will it be Governor Romney? (The crowd continues to cheer!) How about Governor Huckabee? (The crowd cheers again!) Or how about that US Constitutional guy... err... what's his name... Congressman... oh yah, Ron Paul? (The crowd starts to laugh!) -- Yes, sounds familiar, right? And so the media continues to report "who won what" and so on and so forth, with of course, no mentioning of that silly Congressman anywhere.

And as the Ron Paul supporters continue to fight back their tears while questioning, "How can this be? I don't get it! I thought we'd make a dent by now?!!", the Ron Paul Headquarters begins to board the "The Ron Paul Express Train", with nothing but confident smiles, because after all, you need a freight train to carry the message of freedom, and more importantly... ALL THE DELEGATES THAT COME WITH IT!!!

"I don't understand -- what do you mean? He lost the delegates in the states because FOX NEWS reported it that way!" Yes, I know... and they also reported that Al Gore won as President -- or have you forgotten? Isn't it funny how IGNORANT Fox News really is? Well, I say ignorant and maybe that isn't really fair -- so let's just say that they choose to show their viewers what they want the people to see. You see, the results we are seeing on TV is not really what is actually occurring, but the media likes to "dumb it down" for America because it would take too much time to explain how the Delegates really choose their candidate, and so they try and keep it simple. And many people like simple -- because simple is good. Heck, I like simple too. However, sometimes keeping things too simple, as is the case with an election, can be very misleading. Yes I know, it sounds complicated and I was once there myself -- so allow me to further explain.

Have you heard of the expression that all of this is really a "Beauty Contest?" Well, this is true, because nothing is set in stone yet. The reason why the media is keeping it simple is because MANY of the states are a winner-take-all state, meaning if a candidate wins the popular vote of the state, they get to keep all the delegates that come with that state -- however, what the media isn't telling you (because statistically speaking, it's highly unlikely) is that ANY DELEGATE can change their mind and vote for whomever they want when it comes time at the convention -- which is when the voting REALLY MATTERS.

"I see. But I still don't understand the whole primary/caucus thing, choosing delegates and how or why it's important?" Let me break that down for you in a nutshell.

First, let me describe what a Delegate is. Delegates are the people who you trust to do the voting at the GOP convention on your party's behalf, so to speak. So basically, you vote on a delegate who supports the candidate you want to win. Anyone can be a delegate as long they fulfill the requirements set out by the state. If you want to be a delegate (which is important to the Ron paul campaign), you can just announce it at the caucus meeting. But you have to bring enough people to vote for you to be a delegate. The more delegates you have in a district, the better, because then there are caucuses for state delegates -- whereby all the district delegates vote on who will be a state delegates. States are assigned a certain number of "state delegates" to represent the state, which is what the whole "Beauty Contest" is about -- it sort of help determines which candidate will receive those delegates. Since many states are a "winner takes all" -- this means that all the delegates will go to the popular vote winner, whereas some states award delegates by percentages.

A caucus is basically a convention held in districts whereby party members gather to hear speeches made about the candidates. The people that attend the caucus (which can be ANYONE) then vote for delegates to represent the candidates at the party's convention. Each district has a certain number of delegates, which depends on who gets voted by the people. State rules and regulations do vary, as some only allow voters to participate in their party’s primary (such as you must be registered as a republican to vote in the republican primaries), while other states have no party restrictions and allow voters to participate in any single primary they choose. Now this is important to understand -- because the more delegates your candidate has, the better. And in MOST (if not all) situations, the turnout of these caucuses are spread so thin because very few people show up to be a delegate, that someone can utterly "steal" the victory away from the popular vote winner (if awarded by percentage) because they had more delegates in a certain district representing them. An example would be Obama in Nevada, who lost by popular vote, but actually received more delegates because the districts by which he won had more delegates than Clinton did. But we'll come back to this a little later.

Now a primary is what most of us are used to. Voters go to the polls, select their candidate and help determine the percentage of the state's delegates. The person who wins the state (if by the winner-take-all policy) supposedly wins all the delegates too -- but here's the rub... do they really win all the delegates? In a typical situation, this is likely the case. The percentages of a state's delegates are broken down to show how many delegates are from each of the candidates running. For example, in Maine, Romney won the popular vote by a landslide right? Therefore, he is rewarded all the delegates of that state. McCain came in second with Ron Paul coming in a very close third place. However, Ron Paul had A LOT MORE DELEGATES that supported him than McCain did, so realistically speaking, Ron Paul came in second in the delegate count. How is this important? It isn't YET, but patience Grasshopper, and you will begin to see the light.

Ok, so I said I would come back to how someone can "steal" a victory. From what I know, this is how it works -- in a brokered convention, ANY STATE DELEGATE IS NOT BOUND TO VOTE FOR ANY PARTICULAR CANDIDATE. Did you get that? While they were selected to best represent their own candidate, what would happen if their candidate dropped out? Their candidate would likely endorse another candidate, right? And it makes sense that the state delegates would support whomever their candidate endorsed, right? But here's where it gets sticky... would they really support whomever their candidate endorsed? A perfect example of that would have been Giuliani who endorsed McCain after he dropped out -- which should have added to the popular vote count for McCain to easily win the state of Maine since he had Giuliani supporters too, right? But McCain lost to Romney. As I said in a previous article, this is not a typical election and there is clearly no real front runner -- at least not what the media is making it out like.

It is my opinion that people are awake now and are not voting in the typical mannerisms of the past elections. People are very angry right now, confused right now and are still unsure of who they would support -- but more important than that, they now understand that it's ok to change their minds and actually vote who's right for office rather than vote for who's right for the party. If there was a clear front runner, then someone would have an enormous lead by now, yes? But this is not the case. And according to the GOP rules, a candidate must enter the convention in September with 51% of the delegates from all the states or else the election will go to a brokered convention... and that is where the pay off will be, because delegates will now have to make things right by voting. BUT, the question is, "Who will they vote for?"

Is your eyebrow raising? Are you getting it yet?!! You're starting to smirk, aren't you? Yessssss, suddenly, all those supposed state delegates that the candidate "thought" he had in the bag from the states (according the media and beauty contests) now suddenly don't look too promising, because they (the delegates) now have the power, and more importantly, the right to change their mind. Now here's the beauty of it all -- there is NOTHING anyone can do about it.

"Yes, I get it now, but c'mon, what are the odds these delegates will vote for Ron Paul?" Well, there is no guarantee -- but let's look at it this logically... this will likely create negative publicity for the so called "front runner", as this candidate will now be seen BY MANY PEOPLE as being weak, not to mention careless, because HE DIDN'T SEE IT COMING. And nobody wants a weak, let alone careless President. A brokered convention hasn't occurred since God knows how long ago - which is why many people still disagree and say it won't happen. However, I believe the odds are in favor this year for one to happen, as do many others, and here's the funny part... if it does, can you imagine the media coverage on that one? The media, all which completely blacked out Ron Paul, is actually responsible for making it all happen because he slipped in "under the radar."

This is why the likelihood of a 3rd party run by Ron Paul is not realistic nor in the playing cards (at this point.) Statistically speaking, he has a better chance of getting those unsure delegates to vote for him than he would at getting a majority to win during a third party run for Presidency. Third party runs are very expensive and get zero media coverage and aren't likely to be invited for debates -- but winning the Republican nomination gets him the best seat in the house, to relay his thoughts on the issues at hand and to eventually prove to America that he is the best choice for President.

So who's the big winner of Super Tuesday? I think it's more like who's the big WEINER of Tuesday. All Aboooooard!!!

christagious
02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm bumping this because there are too many negative threads on here

christagious
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
God damnit, people read this.

colecrowe
02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah right

pinkmandy
02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Great read! Thanks!!!!

roseburg
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
bump

nodope0695
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Who's plan, the campaign staff? The campaign staff that can't seem to get one single tv ad run in my state? The campaign staff that can't deliver campaign materials that were ordered weeks ago? The campaign staff the squandered 23 million dollars of OUR money?

Kotin
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
bump

adara7537
02-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Good post :)

christagious
02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Who's plan, the campaign staff? The campaign staff that can't seem to get one single tv ad run in my state? The campaign staff that can't deliver campaign materials that were ordered weeks ago? The campaign staff the squandered 23 million dollars of OUR money?

I don't know whose plan, I'm just saying that there is still hope. I agree that the campaign staff absolutely sucks. They need to just hand it off to the grassroots

Drknows
a brokered convention is not going to happen. What 5 states do you expect to win?

Ronin
For us to have a chance the below clause from GOP Rule 40 needs clarification. The basic question is can bound delegates "demonstrate support" of a candidate that they aren't bound to?

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

noztnac
Stop being delusional. It is not helping. It's time for a third party run.

cheese
02-05-2008, 11:05 PM
to the top

american empire
02-05-2008, 11:05 PM
bump

Redcard
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Okay, which 5 states do you think will demonstrate support for us?

literatim
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Hey troll. Go away and never come back.

Opulen
02-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Very important piece of information. bump please!

Redcard
02-05-2008, 11:09 PM

So does calling someone a troll make you feel better? Because, frankly, we've voiced these complaints for a while, it seems, and nobody did anything about it except call us trolls.

Well, now you're seeing what happens when a campaign is pathetically run.

It didn't have to be this way. Stop blaming us because Ron Paul couldn't get his crap together.

nodope0695
02-05-2008, 11:09 PM

I'm NOT a troll, I'm just pissed off. Look at my posts, you'll see I'm not a troll...gimme a break, dude. Would a troll organize a ronpaul meetup group? Would a troll sign up to be a precinct captain (Solomons, MD 01-001)?

I'm pissed because I care. I care when the campaign doesn't seem to care.

bew2005
02-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Come now people...do you believe this simply because you read it on the intertubes? I am nearly certain that rules for delegates at the national convention are determined by each state. Meaning: in some states all delegates must vote how their state voted (at least in the first round). Other states the delegates are free to vote for whomever. I am searching the internet for verification. If someone can find a link to a more believable site, I'd appreciate it.

christagious
02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
So does calling someone a troll make you feel better? Because, frankly, we've voiced these complaints for a while, it seems, and nobody did anything about it except call us trolls.

Well, now you're seeing what happens when a campaign is pathetically run.

It didn't have to be this way. Stop blaming us because Ron Paul couldn't get his crap together.

I agree with you for the most part. We could possibly have been doing better with better campaign runners. What did they do with all of that money??

And troll is so overused on here.

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Read the article
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/34128

DELEGATES? A MUST READ! IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD!
Posted February 5th, 2008 by eilif

original article at http://ron-paul-campaign....

Tuesday, February 5, 2008
The Super Tuesday Winner

Ok, so I said I would come back to how someone can "steal" a victory. From what I know, this is how it works -- in a brokered convention, ANY STATE DELEGATE IS NOT BOUND TO VOTE FOR ANY PARTICULAR CANDIDATE.

This is a lie. This person does NOT know how it works.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104384

Reposting and bumping does not change reality. Grow up already, please.

Ex Post Facto
02-05-2008, 11:13 PM
All I know is that Delegates are spread out all over the place. We just need 5 territories or states to secure the deal.

christagious
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Grow up?? What's that supposed to mean? I read an article and thought it was true. Sorry that I don't live on these forums to be able to find the thread you put up here. What the fuck is "grow up" supposed to mean? I"m immature because I don't want to lose hope? There are some serious dicks on this forum, no wonder Obama is getting so much support, his people are nice.

bew2005
02-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Great, just as I finally find the post I was looking for......which was by you ;p

http://www.ronpaulforum.com/showthread.php?t=183

Liberté
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Bump to the OP for being positive. Statistically there is almost no chance of a brokered convention, and even though we have been winning delegates in caucus's we are still number 4 delegate wise.

But I will keep this positive too; we should be supporting local candidates during 2008 as well as Dr. Paul. I have a feeling we might just have a few more Dr. No's in the congress next year.. and if we don't get the GOP nod I wonder what a Senator Ron Paul or even a Secretary of Treasurer Ron Paul might look like.

akalucas
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
there being a chance of a brokered convention is fading into the night today, especially that it looks like Mccain will win Missouri and California.

coffeewithchess
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Stop being delusional. It is not helping. It's time for a third party run.

3rd party run means you are delusional...lol.

Billy Baro7
02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Well If it was all that simple how come no one thought of RP Supporters running for McCain and Romney Delegates???

demidog
02-05-2008, 11:26 PM
This is what I've been saying for months, what the campaign has been saying for months, what James Ostrowski has been saying for months and what some of Dr. Paul's supporters just don't get.

Why do you think so much emphasis has been put on the post primary precinct elections?

Why are Ron Paul supporters going to the polls after the election is over in every state to insure that, committed or not, it is the Ron Paul supporters who are the delegates sent to the national and state conventions?

Not a single delegate has yet been cast for any of the GOP nominees. Super Tuesday would have been a disaster had one front runner emerged. But that hasn't happened. It is working out perfectly. And I mean perfectly.

There was never a chance that Dr. Paul would sweep the primaries and that was never the plan.

There is more good news.

We've come through the gauntlet today. Now there are more states to come and as supporters we can concentrate our efforts until that is done. I'd love to see us take Texas, and I assure you, being from Texas, that our meetup here in Austin has been working the precincts and training everyone on how to get elected after the polls close.

That's when the real election takes place. Everyone views these elections as over once the polls close. That just isn't the case. The real election occurs after the polls close.

By the way, if you've been really paying attention, you would know by watching the campaign training materials that the brokered convention is what has been hoped for. With an incredibly weak field and no clear spokesman for the true republican platform, even the non-active voting public, and by that I mean those who show up, cast a vote and go home, are unsure of who to back.

There are three "front runners" rather than one. This is the greatest development we could hope for. Guess which candidate's supporters were at the delegate elections after the precincts closed and were prepared?

Guess who, whether or not Ron Paul is able to secure the nomination at a brokered convention, is going to control the republican party, having snatched up all of those local positions which have been abandoned and un-manned?

Guess who's supporters will have a great deal of influence on the GOP's local and state parties?

Guess who will make up the delegates that arrive at the national convention? That's right, those same people who showed up at the precinct elections.

If you are a naysayer, then you aren't paying attention. Nobody said this would be easy. The media was never going to play along and you should be glad they didn't. Because they weren't paying attention and don't cover the guts of the real party politics in this country, they didn't see it coming.

They are under the delusion that they can annoint a candidate and he wins. Remember, Fox annointed Guiliani. Come on people! This process is hard work and because people prior to these elections were willing to do this work, they controlled the party and you got crap for a selection in the general.

Even if Dr. Paul doesn't make it all the way to the general election we're winning because we will be in control of the party except *maybe* at the highest levels.

Big deal. This was never about sitting on the couch and watching the media do our work for us. Those days are over.

I wrote this just last week addressing the very issue of a long-term plan though I didn't mention too much the details of this delegate election process:

http://lewrockwell.com/fisk/fisk36.html (The Ron Paul Nightmare).

If you're in a state that has a primary coming up. Sign up now, don't delay, to become a precinct leader. We're taking this party back from the ground up and we may just secure Ron Paul the nomination.

Rick Fisk

Ronin
02-05-2008, 11:26 PM

Bradley any thoughts on this question?

For us to have a chance the below clause from GOP Rule 40 needs clarification. The basic question is can bound delegates "demonstrate support" of a candidate that they aren't bound to?

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

Fotrane
02-05-2008, 11:30 PM
La Bump

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Grow up?? What's that supposed to mean? I read an article and thought it was true. Sorry that I don't live on these forums to be able to find the thread you put up here. What the fuck is "grow up" supposed to mean? I"m immature because I don't want to lose hope? There are some serious dicks on this forum, no wonder Obama is getting so much support, his people are nice.

For starters, there is a whole subforum devoted to the National Convention with many threads answering your questions. Repeatedly repost and bumping the same wrong information is juvenile, yes.

We want to win, that's why we're taking this contest seriously.

Learn the rules, play the game, win.

humanic
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
This is what I've been saying for months, what the campaign has been saying for months, what James Ostrowski has been saying for months and what some of Dr. Paul's supporters just don't get.

Why do you think so much emphasis has been put on the post primary precinct elections?

Why are Ron Paul supporters going to the polls after the election is over in every state to insure that, committed or not, it is the Ron Paul supporters who are the delegates sent to the national and state conventions?

Not a single delegate has yet been cast for any of the GOP nominees. Super Tuesday would have been a disaster had one front runner emerged. But that hasn't happened. It is working out perfectly. And I mean perfectly.

There was never a chance that Dr. Paul would sweep the primaries and that was never the plan.

There is more good news.

We've come through the gauntlet today. Now there are more states to come and as supporters we can concentrate our efforts until that is done. I'd love to see us take Texas, and I assure you, being from Texas, that our meetup here in Austin has been working the precincts and training everyone on how to get elected after the polls close.

That's when the real election takes place. Everyone views these elections as over once the polls close. That just isn't the case. The real election occurs after the polls close.

By the way, if you've been really paying attention, you would know by watching the campaign training materials that the brokered convention is what has been hoped for. With an incredibly weak field and no clear spokesman for the true republican platform, even the non-active voting public, and by that I mean those who show up, cast a vote and go home, are unsure of who to back.

There are three "front runners" rather than one. This is the greatest development we could hope for. Guess which candidate's supporters were at the delegate elections after the precincts closed and were prepared?

Guess who, whether or not Ron Paul is able to secure the nomination at a brokered convention, is going to control the republican party, having snatched up all of those local positions which have been abandoned and un-manned?

Guess who's supporters will have a great deal of influence on the GOP's local and state parties?

Guess who will make up the delegates that arrive at the national convention? That's right, those same people who showed up at the precinct elections.

If you are a naysayer, then you aren't paying attention. Nobody said this would be easy. The media was never going to play along and you should be glad they didn't. Because they weren't paying attention and don't cover the guts of the real party politics in this country, they didn't see it coming.

They are under the delusion that they can annoint a candidate and he wins. Remember, Fox annointed Guiliani. Come on people! This process is hard work and because people prior to these elections were willing to do this work, they controlled the party and you got crap for a selection in the general.

Even if Dr. Paul doesn't make it all the way to the general election we're winning because we will be in control of the party except *maybe* at the highest levels.

Big deal. This was never about sitting on the couch and watching the media do our work for us. Those days are over.

I wrote this just last week addressing the very issue of a long-term plan though I didn't mention too much the details of this delegate election process:

http://lewrockwell.com/fisk/fisk36.html (The Ron Paul Nightmare).

If you're in a state that has a primary coming up. Sign up now, don't delay, to become a precinct leader. We're taking this party back from the ground up and we may just secure Ron Paul the nomination.

Rick Fisk

Thanks for the post Rick. I agree with your analysis for the most part.

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Bradley any thoughts on this question?

Yeah, I answered on that thread I posted: in our case I expect a YouTube by Aravoth "demonstrating" support!

Fields
02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
bump.

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Statistically there is almost no chance of a brokered convention, and even though we have been winning delegates in caucus's we are still number 4 delegate wise.

Actually, Huckabee doing so well tonight (including with our support in WV), makes a a brokered convention more likely.

wfd40
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM

be honest with us bradley.. we lost this race on nov. 6th, when dr. paul didn't hire ed rollings (or someone of similar stature) to head up all campaign ops

:(

hrdman2luv
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
To say that Ron Paul is just going to sneak in under the radar, after all the primaries/caucus' and get the GOP nomination is obsurd. The GOP can't stand Ron Paul. They will break the rules if they have to to keep Ron Paul from getting the nom.

I think there is too much wishfull thinking going on here..

I support Ron Paul now, and would support him as an independent. But as it stands, before California has finished their tallies, has only 9 delegates.
I not only blame the MSM. But his campaign staff as well.

Too much talk about the gold standard. People don't understand it.

Redcard
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
be honest with us bradley.. we lost this race on nov. 6th, when dr. paul didn't hire ed rollings (or someone of similar stature) to head up all campaign ops

:(

No.

We lost when the campaign decided not to do TV ad buys in favor of Mailers.

wfd40
02-05-2008, 11:46 PM
No.

egg/chicken..

rollins would have spent the money on tv ad buys me thinks ;)

Ronin
02-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Actually, Huckabee doing so well tonight (including with our support in WV), makes a a brokered convention more likely.

My bad. I read the thread and must have missed it.

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 11:47 PM

Rick Fisk

Rick,

Kudos for the optimism and encouraging the canvass work, but almost no other states have "precinct elections" the way Texas does. And yes, in most states, the delegates to the national nominating convention are being determined by the single votes in the straight primary states.

The rules that we need to know to win--to even be eligible to be nominated--in a brokered convention are posted here:

The official campaign has repeatedly posted incorrect information which does not lend credibility to their "plan."

demidog
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Yup. And it could be that we do well in Alaska, maybe even win Alaska. Then there's Texas and Washington and a few other western states. If 5 wins is what we need to get around rule 40, then our job is much more clear cut and we aren't nearly as spread out.

We were just not a large enough movement to win Super Tuesday outright. But we learned what works and what doesn't and we can take those lessons to the remaining states. And even without a public majority we can get a majority of the delegates elected just like we did in LA and Nevada.

This thing isn't over, it's just getting underway. Even without the win at the convention, we can completely dominate the GOP by getting elected and taking the party over.

My first suggestion would be to close the primaries and move to a selection process that does not assess the taxpayers any money and isn't so expensive for the candidates so they can actually start raising for the general election as soon as the Convention is over.

hrdman2luv
02-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Obama and the hildabeast is getting so much support because George Bush killed the GOP and those within it. George Bush and his supporters milked it for everything it was worth. And in 2009, he will sneak back into his hole, count his money, and laugh at every idiot that ever believed in a WMD.

demidog
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Rick,

Kudos for the optimism and encouraging the canvass work, but almost no other states have "precinct elections" the way Texas does. And yes, in most states, the delegates to the national nominating convention are being determined by the single votes in the straight primary states.

The rules that we need to know to win--to even be eligible to be nominated--in a brokered convention are posted here:

The official campaign has repeatedly posted incorrect information which does not lend credibility to their "plan."

Those are the rules at the national convention. They are not the state rules. In Montana, there were hundreds of unfilled party positions. Because we knew the rules in Montana, we got 25% even in a closed system. That same 25% is going to make up the real delegates at the national convention.

Furthermore, delegates can change their minds between now and then.

demidog
02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
No.

We haven't lost yet.

RPfan
02-06-2008, 12:15 AM
bump.

LibertyRevolution
02-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Brokered convention is not going to happen. McCain is going to offer huck VP, and romney will drop out just to make sure that paul doesnt get a chance at a brokered convention. It is time to leave the Republican party, they dont want us.

libertyguy
02-06-2008, 12:48 AM
From what I understand, the delegates are supposed to vote for their designated candidate on the first round. However, if this does not give a true majority, then the delegates are allowed to move thier vote to another candidate. I agree with what you are saying, but feel that things would have to line up perfectly to have a hope at having any say at the Convention. I am not trying to be negative, just that RP does have a chance, but not an easy one. It is likely that he cannot win at this point, but that he can use his delegates to purchase conditions for the nominee. These are typically political favors, not so much true bargaining power unless the vote is so evenly split that both sides are courting his delegates. Huckabee has messed this up a bit, though. Comments are welcome!