PDA

View Full Version : WTF was up with what Colbert just did about Ron Paul ?

Giuliani was there on 911
02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
:confused::confused:

Wells
02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
explain.. I wasn't watching it

constitutional
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
tell us more and we might be able to figure it out.

molly_pitcher
Ignore Colbert. He isn't real.

ForrestLayne
more info please

evadmurd
What kind of troll post was that?

SonicInfinity
Colbert just did a "Spanish Ad" for Ron Paul.

It showed his family in a demeaning manner, followed by Ron Paul speaking (voiced by Colbert), saying something like "I have to press 1 for English?!".

His audience cheered.

dawnbt
I saw that too. Is it a rerun? My DVR is set up to record all first run episodes and this and A Daily Show didn't record.

JAM824A
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. Better spin then MSM usually gives us...

Ryphal
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Colbert created a RP ad for spanish speaking people in Cali. It was just a blatant attack on him, but supposed to be funny in how absurd it was... I'm sure someone will you tube it.

dawnbt
It's hard to explain (plus I caught the end) but he was putting all these wierdos and crazy looking mountainmen on the screen saying that they were his mother, father, uncle etc...

NateB
I saw that too. Is it a rerun? My DVR is set up to record all first run episodes and this and A Daily Show didn't record.

No, they're new this week.

Ethek
02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
If it was the skit I am thinking of it was pretty complementary.. the one with McCain and the water bottle. It highlights Rons kind of 'crazy' and how he predicts things before they happen.

Sinnic
02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Colbert was doing a piece on candidates pandering to the Latino vote, and then went on to air an ad he had 'produced for one struggling candidate' in the same vein. It turned out to be a particularly poor attempt at satirizing Paul using pictures of circus performers and seemingly homeless people and subtitling them as members of Paul's family. I don't really understand the connection or what Colbert was hoping to play on, it just seemed forced.

JAM824A
02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
It was just a silly joke, calm down guys. It just showed some weird people and called them his family members (like a guy with a nail through his nose). El Chupocabra (sp) was his grandfather or something...

JiMMy_247
02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
They set it up saying "there is one candidate who cant afford a commercial", then went on to show a list of circus freaks to represent his family. A lie, followed by making him out to be a freak and finalizing it by mocking his outrage for the direction our country is taking. Nothing funny about it.

TheConstitutionLives
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
:confused::confused:

That's for telling us so much. Good informative post. Nice job.

Yeah it really made no sense to me.

sorry the reason I didn't explain in my first post is that I thought enough people here watched Colbert

That's for telling us so much. Good informative post. Nice job.
Way to read the thread retard, several people already explained.

FatherBloopy
Yeah, it wasn't particularly funny...or flattering...BUT it is Colbert. You have to remember its satire. And that there still are no writers :-) The other clips about Ron Paul predicting the future on the other hand was fun.

constitutional
This is where Colbert fails. He puts out these weird segments and an "average" american thinks what ever Colbert said must be humorous so they try to interpret the joke their own way.

RSLudlum
02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
calm down people, it's called SATIRE!!! :)

Shink
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
calm down people, it's called SATIRE!!! :)

Colbert doesn't shit gold 100% of the time.

JAM824A
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM

He's just a clown for laughs, with a couple political and cultural opinions on the side. It's when people take him to seriously that is the problem... But I didn't think that joke wasn't mean in any way.

dt_
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
youtube.com/watch?v=WDMZPukWhJs

AzNsOuLjAh27
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
fuck colbert he has no idea how much damage he does to our supporters. I always hated that piece of shit.

Neomatrix
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
In a world of 30 second sound bites all media is good media!:D

MGreen
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Since this has been bumped...

I wasn't all that bothered by it. It seemed to me like Colbert was making fun of the huge amount of pandering seen in appealing to the Latino vote. It's hard to identify Colbert's point (if there was one) with the end, in which 'Paul' complains about pressing 1 one for English. Colbert may again be pointing out Paul's rationality, or he could be connecting it with the white supremacist smears of Paul.

Of course... who really cares?

blakjak
02-06-2008, 09:40 PM

yes he does.. it's been youtubed

theantirobot
02-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I for one hope Colbert continues to bash Ron Paul. I want to write him a letter, send him a t-shirt, a bumper sticker, a fruit basket. Colbert should bash Paul every single night.

libertythor
02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
That satire really sucked. lol The chupacabras part was the only part that got me to think about laughing.

Zolah
02-06-2008, 09:51 PM
The way it's been explained, it just sounds like Colbert pointed out Ron Paul is the only candidate that doesn't pander to whoevers listening at the time, though the way he did it does sound bizarre - we don't get Colbert here in UK, I guess because people here don't see neocons on every channel and wouldn't get it

morerocklesstalk
02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I saw it and it seems likes a backhanded compliment.

On one hand it does praise his stance against the war and obvious misjustices, but on the other he seems to perpetuate the "crazy" stigma that follows us and Ron Paul.

Chibioz
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
It sucked but I don't think it was much of an attack on paul

justinc.1089
02-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't think it was an attack or anything really. Colbert clearly liked Huckabee and Paul the best out of the presidential candidates, so he wouldn't try to insult him, but since he is a comedian it only makes sense he would make a joke about him.:rolleyes:

And I thought the end was funny but the rest wasn't that great really. The end where he was imitating Paul saying "I have to push 1 for English? What is happening in this country?" was funny because he nailed Paul there lol. It was a good bit like him lol.

BenIsForRon
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
You guys are insane. The joke really had nothing to do with Ron Paul, they could've switched it out for any other candidate and it would have been just as funny.

microtron
02-06-2008, 10:16 PM
That sketch was absolutely a hit piece. It played into and thus helps perpetuate several negative themes - Paul's perceived 'craziness', his perceived racism due to the Lew Rockwell fiasco and the perception of his age/voice. I don't think people here really realize how effective the painting of Paul as a racist was. Over on slashdot the last discussion concerning Paul was almost immediately tagged 'racist' and 'bigot'. They eventually got overwhelmed, but it _is_ slashdot and a pretty Paul friendly place. Which actually makes it all the more telling how quickly those tags got applied. One guy got modded to 5 with a post that was essentially a copy and paste from TNR that painted a picture of Paul practically signing off personally on everything that got printed. Colbert did nothing but play into that false perception with his thinly veiled attempts at humor in that piece. Almost seems to me that Colbert is on the Paul == racist bandwagon himself. And one thing Paul DOESN'T NEED right now is backhanded compliments, if in fact that's what it was. He needs straight up fucking support from people like Stewart and Colbert, even if only off-set/ooc, and for them to keep their damned mouths shut about him otherwise. The rest of the media is pretty good at it.

Crickett
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
That sketch was absolutely a hit piece. It played into and thus helps perpetuate several negative themes - Paul's perceived 'craziness', his perceived racism due to the Lew Rockwell fiasco and the perception of his age/voice. I don't think people here really realize how effective the painting of Paul as a racist was. Over on slashdot the last discussion w quickly those tags got applied. One guy got modde attempts at humor in that piece. Almost seems to me that Colbert is on the Paul == racist bandwagon himself. And one thing Paul DOESN'T NEED right now is backhanded compliments, if in fact that's what it was. He needs straight up fucking support from people like Stewart and Colbert, even if only off-set/ooc, and for them to keep their damned mouths shut about him otherwise. The rest of the media is pretty good at it.

You are nuttier than Colbert. The thing was hysterical! (Talking in a highly squeaky parody of RP's voice..) it is shown in another thread somewhere. Paul says..What ? Press 1 for English? What is happening to this country! It was a scream. Unless he starts liking you, Colbert is all in good fun..

microtron
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Precisely what was nutty about what I said? I called it like I saw it and backed it up with what I'm seeing in other places. All you've done is make me believe even more firmly that which I stated before: I don't think people here really realize how effective the painting of Paul as a racist was.

microtron
02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
OK, so after another beer and but moments after typing my last reply, I came to the conclusion that I am probably wrong about Colbert and his true feelings about Ron Paul. If you apply the 'opposite of what he says is the truth' standard Colbert filter, it was still rather unfunny but not hateful. Which makes me happy because I like Colbert and was really upset at first. Betrayed feeling even because I thought he liked RP. However, I STILL stand by my assertion that Paul doesn't need veiled support but _outright_ support from people as influential as that. As well as the thing about how I suspect, and I will qualify it with that, that the racism issue has been WAY more effective than we would like to believe. I was truly amazed at the BS I saw bandied about on slashdot, which despite its reputation has a fairly intelligent and libertarian core following and a lot of RP supporters. Deep down I hope it was just 'enemy' campaigners spreading FUD, but it can be hard to tell eh? :(

parke
02-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Colbert just did a "Spanish Ad" for Ron Paul.

It showed his family in a demeaning manner, followed by Ron Paul speaking (voiced by Colbert), saying something like "I have to press 1 for English?!".

His audience cheered.

SAD