PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't we do a grassroots movement to end the "winner take all" policy of the GOP

Starks
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Topic

Feelgood
02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
How, per se' would you propose we do that? Sue them? they can make whatever rules they want.

ckhagen
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't know how many states are WTA... mine is though.

This is something I've already started stirring the pot with in my local REC. Although, I'm not making any headway yet.

Deal is here... our state is sort of split into two different regions with two very different ways of thinking. The northern half is very conservative (77% Republican voters, most of which are die-hard neo-conservatives) and the southern portion is well... pretty darn liberal.

Although in area, the northern part is substantial, it's only 5% of the population. So, as a voter in the northern portion of the state... I go to the polls knowing that even if every single voter in our 2 districts voted for one candidate... that candidate could still be totally eliminated based on the southern portion of the state.

So, I've now brought it up a few times in conversation after REC meetings that "hey ya'll, don't ya think we're getting screwed up here with absolutely no delegates being awarded based on our conservative voting style?" "If we think about it... we're going to the polls and 'throwing our vote away' because we just plain don't matter in the end!"

I mostly get puzzled looks for responses or party loyalists pretending that they don't care or are ok with it. But, I'll keep plugging it. I have no illusions of trying to change it unless we get regime change within the GOP here... working on that too ;)