PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Rand Paul?

AgentOrange
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
(assume for the sake of argument he would even be interested in this.)

Why not Rand Paul as a 3rd party/independent candidate?

Ron Paul can't do this legally after having run as a Republican (at least in many states), plus he does have hope of a brokered convention. But realistically, Ron Paul is old and tired. It is sad when I watch him on YouTube from 20 years ago--he had so much fire and passion and would never have sat by being interrupted and shut down in the debates. If only he were 20 years younger....but he's not and he doesn't have the spunk to connect with the average sheeple because of this.

But Rand Paul does. Rand Paul can carry on the ideas of his mentor Ron Paul, and he can do so with the fire and passion of his relative youth. Rand Paul could legally run as an independent/3rd party in every state--and could make a strong showing.

Ron Paul could continue in his congressional seat and continue fighting for freedom in congress. (Or maybe make a great advisor after Rand Paul wins ;) )

firebirdnation
02-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Thats an interesting idea, and just to have a little fun, lets say Rand runs third party and signs his dad on as the VP. Alright, enough fun for me, but it would be nice!!

Kalash
02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Thats an interesting idea, and just to have a little fun, lets say Rand runs third party and signs his dad on as the VP. Alright, enough fun for me, but it would be nice!!

I sure wouldn't complain.

If there's a Paul on the Gen. election ballot (that I've heard of before...) I'd vote for them.

Rangeley
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Ron Paul can't do this legally after having run as a Republican (at least in many states)

That is false. This was thrown around earlier, but while these laws exist in state elections in some places, they do not exist for Presidential elections.

tangent4ronpaul
02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Rand Paul for President!

(modifying our banner stencils and signs would be an interesting exercise, however...)

-n

paulgeek
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't think the sore loser laws would apply to presidential elections because people vote for the electors, not the presidential candidate.

WedgeTalon
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
My thought has been that if we don't get the nod this year, most likely a Dem will be elected. That will probably make it even easier the following election to spread our message. A younger fresh candidate like Rand could do well, especially backed by Ron's support.

I seriously doubt a third party will become president this year even if the candidate was Jesus H Christ. People would likely call him too divisive and unelectable.

It will take a lot more work (and election reform, likely) before people at large will view a third party as viable. Just the voter apathy alone is a huge hurdle.

Jules
02-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Or Rand could consider running in 2012. ;)

cynic
02-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I think this idea could keep a lot of RP supporters together. At least the idea that there will be someone to follow Ron's footsteps. Of course, I'm saying this without having done the slightest bit of research into Rand.

Molly1
02-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Ron Paul can't do this legally after having run as a Republican (at least in many states), plus he does have hope of a brokered convention. But realistically, Ron Paul is old and tired. It is sad when I watch him on YouTube from 20 years ago--he had so much fire and passion and would never have sat by being interrupted and shut down in the debates. If only he were 20 years younger....but he's not and he doesn't have the spunk to connect with the average sheeple because of this.

But Rand Paul does. Rand Paul can carry on the ideas of his mentor Ron Paul, and he can do so with the fire and passion of his relative youth. Rand Paul could legally run as an independent/3rd party in every state--and could make a strong showing.

Ron Paul could continue in his congressional seat and continue fighting for freedom in congress. (Or maybe make a great advisor after Rand Paul wins ;) )

You know--I was thinking the same thing tonight---dagnabbit!

It's brilliant. And, the country will never know we switched candidates!

Then Ron Paul can resume his duties for Texas.

UNC08
He'd have to change his hair first. As Steven Tyler might say, that 'do is b-a-d, bad.

AgentOrange
Or Rand could consider running in 2012.

4 years is a long time, the US may be a totally fascist state by them.:(

Molly1
02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Or Rand could consider running in 2012. ;)

No. This year if we go independent. :D

Molly1
02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Has anyone heard Rand speak?

He's as good as his father.

Chip off the old block. :)

Xyrus2
02-05-2008, 10:32 PM
If he/we did go that route, I would humbly suggest kicking th current HQ to the curb and getting the pros in there.

Good pipe dreams I suppose.

~X~

CelestialRender
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Dude, that's a pretty good idea.

Wow.

Why didn't I think of that?

Ex Post Facto
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I would support that as well. He speaks better than anyone outside of Obama, but has RP's intellect and decisiveness.

firebirdnation
02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
If he/we did go that route, I would humbly suggest kicking th current HQ to the curb and getting the pros in there.

Good pipe dreams I suppose.

~X~

+1, but HQ may surprise us in the next few weeks, at least I hope so!!

ArrestPoliticians
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
He needs some political street cred. He should run for senate with the full might of the revolution backing him, win, then run for president.

Ex Post Facto
02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
He needs some political street cred. He should run for senate with the full might of the revolution backing him, win, then run for president.

Very good idea, have him pick a state that has a big RP following.

skyorbit
02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Rand should Run for the House or even Senate.

Tracy

Molly1
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Rand should Run for the House or even Senate.

Tracy

You forget he already has a very secure base in place for running for President this year.

He and his father are like two peas in a pod.

I like having a Plan B. ;)

hrdman2luv
02-05-2008, 10:55 PM

Because we don't know anything about Rand Paul. We don't know if he feels the same way about America. We don't know if he feels the same way about taxes, freedoms, business', people, the border or the free market. He has no voting record to research.
I couldn't vote for someone I didn't know.

justatrey
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
If only he were 20 years younger....but he's not and he doesn't have the spunk to connect with the average sheeple because of this.

But Rand Paul does. Rand Paul can carry on the ideas of his mentor Ron Paul, and he can do so with the fire and passion of his relative youth.

So how did the 71 year old frontrunner get this far? Is it because John McCain is one full year younger than Paul? Is it all that spunk he still has? NO!

Its because the mainstream media decided McCain would be the frontrunner, and they decided Paul would not be taken seriously.

They will do the same thing to Rand Paul. He could be 18 or 100 years old and the media would treat him the same. It has nothing to do with age.

Molly1
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Because we don't know anything about Rand Paul. We don't know if he feels the same way about America. We don't know if he feels the same way about taxes, freedoms, business', people, the border or the free market. He has no voting record to research.
I couldn't vote for someone I didn't know.

Have you never heard him speak?

Sounds just like his dad.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree. :)

Buzz
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
My thought has been that if we don't get the nod this year, most likely a Dem will be elected. That will probably make it even easier the following election to spread our message. A younger fresh candidate like Rand could do well, especially backed by Ron's support.

By then, the democrats' blind faith in their leadership's ability to save the country will have been crushed, so it'll be all the easier to promote a republican to the youth.

We need to keep building the movement. If we can get a Ron Paul Republican on the ballot next time around, we'll already have this much support as a nice head start.

Computer
02-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Ron Paul is the man. He's Obi-Wan. But Rand Paul would probably make a better politician.

moonshine5757
02-05-2008, 11:25 PM
did he just recently dye his hair?

moonshine5757
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx-3X8gGASw

Matt Collins
02-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Rand should be running for Congress. I saw him a week ago and several of us talked to him about this but basically we think he wants his boys to grow up before he runs for any public office.

Matt Collins
02-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Ron Paul is the man. He's Obi-Wan.

http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a457/a457_bm.gif