PDA

View Full Version : Naysayers - let me break it down for you

Original_Intent
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
As I am sure you all are aware, a candidate has to get 1191 delegates that are committed to him to lock the nomination.

Right now McCain is leading, and he needs to get 50% of ALL GOP delegates.

Delegates that McCain will NOT get.

Romney delegates
Huckabee delegates
Paul delegates
Uncommitted delegates (some states do not bind their delegates to the primary/caucus results - these do NOT count for McCain)

If we get all of the bottom combined to 1191, we are going to a brokered convention folks. Sure we want as many RP wins/delegates as possible, but why is everyone dismissing a brokered convention while McCain has only about 20% of the delegates needed to lock the nomination???

Wingman
02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
a lot of us here do not know what a brokered convention is... ill go google..

hellsingfan
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
And why are you suggesting that in a broker convention the pro-war candidate backers will end up voting for anti-war RP. I just hope most of the delegates are RP under other candidates names. Then fuk them all over!!

Original_Intent
A brokered convention is when in the first round of voting at the national convention no delegate gets a majority and all delegates then become unbound and can vote for anyone. This is why we have been fighting to get RP people to run as delegates, because even though they may be bound to vote for another candidate in the first round, they can vote for RP if it goes to a brokered convention.

IDefendThePlatform
Thanks for breakdown. I must ask, what do you expect would happen at a brokered convention? I've been fantasizing about swinging enough delegates to our camp to get the nomination, but realistically I just don't see it happening. I sure hope I'm wrong.

JS4Pat
02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
why is everyone dismissing a brokered convention ???

Because reality is setting in...

chadhb
02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
It's over , just stop.

MGreen
02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
And from what I understand, there will only be about 400 committed delegates given out today. So, though McCain will be seen as the frontrunner, he will not necessarily have all that many delegates.

I really don't know how we'll be able to stop him in the later states (unless McCain goes absolutely broke, you can be sure he'll keep an eye on us), and I have little faith this strategy will end up working for Paul... but why not give it a shot? It's not like Paul had a good chance at the nomination last summer.

me3
02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
If we had 300, 500 delegates, we might have a shot.

But we have less than 50, and that's going to be a major problem. The GOP is not going to swing behind a guy with 3% of the delegates.

Drknows
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
If we had 300, 500 delegates, we might have a shot.

But we have less than 50, and that's going to be a major problem. The GOP is not going to swing behind a guy with 3% of the delegates.

Yes sir

Eponym_mi
02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey genius...in case you missed it, WV was a lesson in what happens to minority candidates in a brokered convention. Your bullshit theory only works if we have 25% or more of the delegates going into the convention.

The One
02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
It's over , just stop.

People with at least 100 posts can say whatever they want without me saying a word, but you, sir, can go fuck yourself.

Cleaner44
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Screwing up the GOP is soooooooooooo much fun! :D

JohnCrabtree
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I think I read somewhere that we need to win 5 states to be able to get the nomination at a brokered convention.

Original_Intent
02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I think I read somewhere that we need to win 5 states to be able to get the nomination at a brokered convention.

Sadly, I think that is correct. Man I hope we get at least Alaska tonight.

Paul10
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM

driller80545
02-05-2008, 10:24 PM
The GOP will never support an antiwar candidate and for that reason the Democrats will win a in a landslide. It is almost worth it to see McSneer humiliated.

Bubba
02-05-2008, 10:25 PM
A brokered convention is when in the first round of voting at the national convention no delegate gets a majority and all delegates then become unbound and can vote for anyone. This is why we have been fighting to get RP people to run as delegates, because even though they may be bound to vote for another candidate in the first round, they can vote for RP if it goes to a brokered convention.

Sounds like a mosh pit to me :eek:

fedup100
02-05-2008, 10:26 PM
It's over , just stop.

The troll thread is over on the other side of the forum. It has just begun you sob.

Original_Intent
02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a mosh pit to me :eek:

I read somewhere that a brokered convention = "all hell breaks lose".

Wolf
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I read somewhere that a brokered convention = "all hell breaks lose".

It does. Chicago, 1968.

Xyrus2
02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't forsee us being able to get enough delegates to sway the convention unless we have everybody still left in it at the end. Mathematically, it would be possible for even a small number of delegates to hold the balance, in this case RP supporters.

We know how damn ornery we all can be. So what happens when after X rounds of negotiation and no one has a majority due to the RP delegates standing firm? Is it possible that no one receives the nomination and the Democrats run unopposed? Or will they just say that candidate Y has the majority and the delegates won't matter?

~X~

Vet_from_cali
02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
so what exactly happens at a brokerage convention? a long debate?

fabijo
02-05-2008, 11:02 PM
It does. Chicago, 1968.

Thanks for sending me on a history lesson:

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/conventions/chicago/facts/chicago68/index.shtml

Some similarities to today.

Pro-War president in pro-war party is not running for reelection.
Anti-war people within the pro-war party are organizing a revolution.
Groups are working together to cause havoc at the convention.
Attempts by the media to downplay the protests.

Maybe our plans should include a massive meetup at the Republican National Convention. The media will not be able to ignore us if we can have all Ron Paul voters outside the convention. It's time our fellow Americans know that the Republican Party is not the War party. We are the peace loving, freedom loving Conservatives that will not shut up.

drpiotrowski
02-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe our plans should include a massive meetup at the Republican National Convention. The media will not be able to ignore us if we can have all Ron Paul voters outside the convention. It's time our fellow Americans know that the Republican Party is not the War party. We are the peace loving, freedom loving Conservatives that will not shut up.

http://www.utexas.edu/tours/nowthen/70/15_Protest_march_1970.GIF

fabijo
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.utexas.edu/tours/nowthen/70/15_Protest_march_1970.GIF

We can do it!

dblee
02-05-2008, 11:29 PM
watch this movie!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0064652/

Called 'Medium Cool'

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
02-05-2008, 11:32 PM
we must take Texas to have any chance.
Time for a massive nation-wide grassroots effort to canvass Texas from El Paso to Nogadoches to Amarillo to Brownsville

Pauls' Revere
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
*****BROKERED CONVENTION LINK****
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/horseraceblog/2008/01/looking_ahead_to_the_republica.html

This explains alot and our chances are decent. Especially when the RNC sees the support an anti-war DEM can muster they can match that with RP

grizzums
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
we must take Texas to have any chance.
Time for a massive nation-wide grassroots effort to canvass Texas from El Paso to Nogadoches to Amarillo to Brownsville

Yes, any legitimate chance at a successful brokered convention would have to encompass a clear 1st place in the state of Texas....no doubt about it.

The Machine
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
People with at least 100 posts can say whatever they want without me saying a word, but you, sir, can go fuck yourself.

Hey guys cut him some slack. He probably got his info from what CNN just reported--you know, the crystal ball thing--that McCain will win the GOP nomination and Huckabee will be VP.

Now that CNN and this guy cleared things up for us, we can all sleep better tonight.