PDA

View Full Version : Fight for Florida Delegates

Bradley in DC
08-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Fight for Florida Delegates

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/08/08/fight_for_florida_delegates.html

The decision of the Florida state legislature to move their state’s primary before the date allowed by both Republican and Democratic national party rules has put both state parties in danger of having their designated number of delegates cut. Despite pleas to the legislature from the state democratic party to return the primary to February 5th, the legislature is unexpected to do so. Instead, according to Ballot Access News, the DNC will meet later this month to consider issuing a one state exemption for Florida, allowing it to retain it's traditional number of 201 delegates even with a January 29th primary.

The chairman of the Florida Republican party, meeting this weekend to discuss their plan of action, said, "I will fight tooth and nail to make sure Florida gets its full slate of delegates. I intend to take our full slate of delegates to the convention, and I will let the Republican National Committee tell them they can’t be seated."

[nb Under RNC by-laws, states would lose half their delegates to the presidential nominating convention if they hold their primaries, etc., too early.]