PDA

View Full Version : Stop blaming the media - it's the GOP that's the problem

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-05-2008, 08:14 PM
The media are nothing but stooges. They go where the action is, period. (With the possible exception of Faux). The reason we are getting little coverage by the media is because Ron's performance has been TERRIBLE in the primaries. If Ron had WON in New Hampshire, this would be a whole different race right now. If he had won in NH and South Carolina, he would be on every magazine cover in the country. He would be the talk of CNN and MSNBC, just like Perot was in 1992. We would have raised over 10 million on MLK, easy.

The fact is that Ron has been running in the WRONG PARTY. The corrupt, failing, dying GOP totally rejects his antiwar views and his pro-freedom views like ending the war on drugs. They reject these ideas wholesale.

In a general election, the rusty shackles of the GOP will fall from Ron's neck and ankles, and he will be unleashed in all his glory!!! Did you ever wonder why Ron spent 20 million dollars on advertising, but not one single antiwar ad?? Because he knew the GOP rejected his #1 issue.

NO LONGER!!!!!

We must break the chains of the GOP. We must storm the ivory towers of this corrupt, failed two-party system! The media will go where the action is, and the action this year will be Ron Paul in the general election, one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staupostek
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
When the Democratic Party changed and left the conservatives behind, they left the Democratic Party (Ronald Reagan). Now, the Republican Party is leaving the conservatives behind. Maybe it is time to start selling the idea of a new party based on freedom and liberty as defined in the Constitution and take those dissatisfied souls in both main parties who don't fit into those molds anymore.

Chernitsky
02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
You're right - you idiots elected Bush twice and most of you are hypocrites

DahuiHeeNalu
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
<- Libertarian

Shink
02-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Think about it for one damn second: if Ron had fair, comparable coverage across all the media, and didn't have the deck stacked against him in debates, don't you think MAYBE he would, you know...be WINNING BY NOW? To act like the media hasn't been a determining factor is to throw on your blindfold. Of course the GOP has played a role, but the media is much, much bigger.

slacker921
02-05-2008, 08:26 PM
ahh.. he didn't do well in NH because for weeks prior to that he was mentioned only a few times on mainstream news. Long before Iowa and long before NH he was an unknown and polling in the sub 4% range and so the media was not mentioning his name, and therefore he continued to poll low... and therefore they didn't need to mention him. . and therefore he was considered a less than valid candidate... and therefore polled low.. and.. etc.. You simply can't ignore the power of the media blackout (http://journalism.org/node/9515)..

Also, don't forget some very poor decisions were made by the campaign early on.. that didn't help in Iowa and NH..

ArrestPoliticians
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
The media are nothing but stooges. They go where the action is, period. (With the possible exception of Faux). The reason we are getting little coverage by the media is because Ron's performance has been TERRIBLE in the primaries.

Ron Paul didnt win NH because the media didnt cover him...

Honestly, you must be a democrat to come up with such an ignorant assertion.

Give me liberty
02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
The media are also to be blamed why?

If they were fair and kind to ron paul, he would winning right now.

JoshLowry
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
They are two different problems. Plenty of blame to go around.

derdy
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
:rolleyes:

How many times do I have to repeat this to people that don't understand the power of the media.

If the media wants you to win, they'll talk about you day and night. You then get high poll numbers. You are then called a front-runner. Everyone else is fringe.

How freaking blind do you have to be to not see this?

The media says they report on people who poll high nationally. How do you get high poll numbers? Name, face, and policy recognition through the media which is broadcast NATIONALLY!!! dun-duh-duh!!!

Rudy Giuliani didn't do jack shit in terms of performance and he was a front runner!
(Counter argument I know will come) "But he had high national poll numbers!"

No shit! They've been talking about him since last March!

familydog
02-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I get it now. The media is taking marching orders from the GOP. Thanks for clarifying.

linusPAULing
02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
All you have to do is watch the last debate to realize the media is a problem.

Both the GOP and the media are to blame.

Jon4Ron
02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I couldn't disagree MORE and if you think it just boils down to just the GOP, then I have to tell you, you're not paying attention.

dude58677
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I would say it is a combination of several factors in one:

1) Media
2) Two Party System
3) Public schools
4) Lobbyists lobbying to public schools for their propaganda
5) Apathy
6) People viewing elections as though they are fantasy sports and not voting on the issues.
7) Corrupt court system that rules in favor of government and doesn't hold political corruption accountable.
8) Diebold

Geronimo
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
My signature sums it up nicely.

LBT
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I disagree, the media is the main reason why Ron Paul isn't competitive today.

If he had been selected as the media darling, as McCain was, he would be doing at least as well as McCain I believe.

Most voters don't think too deeply about any of the issues. They just get a FEEL from the MSM coverage about who they dislike least.

rg123
02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
There is no way McWar gets millions of votes does anyone know anyone who is for McWar.
Over 70% of the country are against illegal immigration "ESPECIALLY REPUBLICANS" The GOP & DNC are one party this is a show for a fixed election DIEBOLD. Even the Cacuses were fixed
ie: LA. We will be the NAU within the next 4 yrs unless we have an overthrow of the government. Bush, Calderon, & the Prime Minister of Canada will be putting the final touches
on it in New Orleans soon.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
The single biggest problem in this race is not Ron, it's not his message, and it's not the media. It's the GOP. They simply REJECT antiwar views and they REJECT freedom. Period.

Huckabee was TOTALLY IGNORED by the media... until he started catching on in Iowa with Evangelicals and beating Romney in the polls there. Then the media WENT WHERE THE ACTION WAS. If Ron had started beating frontrunners in the polls, the media would have been all over Ron, just like they were with Huck.

The media is partly to blame, but the most blame goes to the GOP. This is a failing party that has REJECTED peace and freedom. PERIOD. We have to wake up to this fact.

jmdrake
02-05-2008, 09:54 PM
To badly misquote Bill Clinton "It's the media stupid". It is impossible to overestimate how badly media bias has hurt is in this campaign. I'm not talking about the "smear campaigns". The good news is that most people I talked to were unaware of them. The bad news is that too few people had heard about him at all. On a lot of people had seen the signs, but that's about it. Did you read about how the newspaper the "Tennessean" screwed us over? After we spent OVER $6,000 in ads in the Tennessean they ran a voter guide THAT OMITTED RON PAUL! And my boys' school today they had a mock election AND RON PAUL WASN'T LISTED! I don't think the teachers were being malicious, just uninformed. :(

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=110545

How do you calculate the effect of such a media blackout? A LOT of people in Tennessee were undecided because of Fred Thompson dropping out of the race. How many votes did we lose because people at the last minute were trying to make up their minds off of false information? When they went in the polling booth did they think Ron Paul was still an option? The Nashville City Paper, which we had THOUGHT about running ads in, had a syndicated political cartoon that implied Ron Paul had dropped out.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=111418

Again, how do you calculate the damage done by this? And how much better would we have been if we had taken the money spent on Tennessean ads and spent it on billboards or radio or even buying hot lunches for the elderly with a slim jim inside?

Hey, I agree with you that Ron should have been more aggressive on the antiwar front with the ads. I think he didn't get the mileage he expected from the "anti immigrant" ads and it seems they actually hurt him a little. Also I remember seeing media reports of former Republicans voting and volunteering for Obama. But again this comes to media. Why else would these former Republicans not support the only antiwar Republican candidate?

Finally, while I would support a third party run, it would be a VERY uphill battle. You mentioned Ross Perot. Don't forget that he didn't NEED any "moneybombs" since he was able to self finance his campaign.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Thanehand
02-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Not quite. There are really three problems:

Problem #1: The ignorant public.

Problem #2: The media. If problem #1 went away, so would this problem.

Problem #3: The parties. If problem #1, and therefore #2 went away, there'd be no problem with the parties, including the GOP.

:)

Dr.3D
02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Anybody who doesn't think the main stream media is the major problem is sadly uneducated.
I would even go so far as to suggest they work with the main stream media because they said such a thing. Then of course, some people just have their eyes closed.

fedup100
02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
The media are nothing but stooges. They go where the action is, period. (With the possible exception of Faux). The reason we are getting little coverage by the media is because Ron's performance has been TERRIBLE in the primaries. If Ron had WON in New Hampshire, this would be a whole different race right now. If he had won in NH and South Carolina, he would be on every magazine cover in the country. He would be the talk of CNN and MSNBC, just like Perot was in 1992. We would have raised over 10 million on MLK, easy.

The fact is that Ron has been running in the WRONG PARTY. The corrupt, failing, dying GOP totally rejects his antiwar views and his pro-freedom views like ending the war on drugs. They reject these ideas wholesale.

In a general election, the rusty shackles of the GOP will fall from Ron's neck and ankles, and he will be unleashed in all his glory!!! Did you ever wonder why Ron spent 20 million dollars on advertising, but not one single antiwar ad?? Because he knew the GOP rejected his #1 issue.

NO LONGER!!!!!

We must break the chains of the GOP. We must storm the ivory towers of this corrupt, failed two-party system! The media will go where the action is, and the action this year will be Ron Paul in the general election, one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is both because the two cannot be separated. The Country could have never been taken without the controlled media. The media is a branch of this fascist government and it is the CIA.....you better believe it

Goldwater Conservative
02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Huckabee was TOTALLY IGNORED by the media... until he started catching on in Iowa with Evangelicals and beating Romney in the polls there. Then the media WENT WHERE THE ACTION WAS. If Ron had started beating frontrunners in the polls, the media would have been all over Ron, just like they were with Huck.

Huck was built up by the media just because he started rising in Iowa. He hadn't even secured a strong second in the polls when they went crazy and fawned over him for a month or two non-stop.

Other than him, every other candidate has been hyped by the media from the get-go. Romney is another possible exception, but he threw down so much money that they couldn't really ignore him. Think about everyone else: Rudy vs. Hillary was the presumptive '08 match-up for over a year, McCain is the darling of the media, Obama has been hyped as something of a new JFK, and Thompson was put on a pedestal as the next Reagan.

It all comes back to the media. When few were paying attention to the primary process last May or so, the polls meant little. However, as people trickled in and began paying attention, they at least partially based their support on who was up in the polls and consequently being covered. When they get polled, they state their "support" for one of those candidates, most of whom they know nothing about. The media then reports and pontificates based on that. The cycle repeats, and people like Hunter and Gilmore get relegated to the margin of error ghetto.

Wolf
02-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I think what it boils down to is ignorance and apathy. Yes, the media is awful. But no one is forcing us to get all of our information from the television. When the majority decides to throw away their comfort and wake up, media will change. It's up to us to wake them.

notagain
02-05-2008, 10:22 PM
To have this come from a senior member disturbs me. If you still haven't figured out that the MSM is obviously against us then.....what the hell man! Get it through your THICK SKULL!:eek:

jmdrake
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Problem #3: The parties. If problem #1, and therefore #2 went away, there'd be no problem with the parties, including the GOP.

Chicken and the egg problem. If the media wasn't so corrupt the public wouldn't be so ignorant. And we have to face the facts. Most people simply aren't as plugged into alternative media as is your typical Ron Paul supporter. When on the Sunday before the election someone people read the voter guide from the Tennessean I'm sure many assumed those were the only candidates running. How do you combat that? Even going door to door that is hard to combat. What about the people you reached before this article came out? How many might have thought "Well, I was thinking about voting for Paul. But I guess he dropped out the race just like Fred Thompson. Oh well. Let's see McCain ... Romney .... Huckabee ..."?

Regards,

John M. Drake

CorkyAgain
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Problem #4: The military-industrial complex, which is intermeshed with the nexus of bankers and other financial institutions.

The revolution was, and what we need now is a counter-revolution.

Sal Collaziano
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
No mention of Ron Paul here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080206/us_time/thefivelessonsfromsupertuesday

RonPaulFTFW
02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree with this post.

Our strategy was flawed.

KewlRonduderules
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
right...

See below:

http://pax-europa.com/temp/pic.png

ronpaulhawaii
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
To have this come from a senior member disturbs me. If you still haven't figured out that the MSM is obviously against us then.....what the hell man! Get it through your THICK SKULL!:eek:

Best not to judge someone by their postcount, or time on board.

my2

;)

notagain
02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Best not to judge someone by their postcount, or time on board.

my2

true!

tribute_13
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
:rolleyes:

How many times do I have to repeat this to people that don't understand the power of the media.

If the media wants you to win, they'll talk about you day and night. You then get high poll numbers. You are then called a front-runner. Everyone else is fringe.

How freaking blind do you have to be to not see this?

The media says they report on people who poll high nationally. How do you get high poll numbers? Name, face, and policy recognition through the media which is broadcast NATIONALLY!!! dun-duh-duh!!!

Rudy Giuliani didn't do jack shit in terms of performance and he was a front runner!
(Counter argument I know will come) "But he had high national poll numbers!"

No shit! They've been talking about him since last March!

Exactly!! The common people's only exposure to politics is through the NEWS!!! Not everyone takes the time to watch C-SPAN or do their own independent research. John comes home from cleaning out septic tanks and you think he's going to go picketting or google up something? No, he's going to pop open a beer, sit down, and turn on the local news.