PDA

View Full Version : Comment writing tip

Elwar
08-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I have debated a lot online about politics for years, going back to the days of telnet and BBSes. I discovered one small thing that helps give my comments a bit more credibility and doesn't give an easy opening for rebuttal.

Delete the last line of your comments, or just stop if you're considering putting in that last little dig.

Example:

(Responding to someone saying getting rid of the income tax is crazy)

The income tax constitutes 42% of the federal government's yearly income. If we were to cut back our spending by 42% we would have to go back to the spending we had in 2002. Besides, the IRS is nothing but a bunch of blood sucking nazis that want to drain you of every last penny that they can.

---

That's a bit exaggerated but you get the idea. The first part is a factual, reasonable statement that would need to be responded to with a lot of thought and perhaps a bit of research. The second part is an emotional cry that can easily be refuted with an equally emotional response with no substance and makes it so that your original reasoned argument is completely ignored.

Just a simple tip. I tend to catch myself at times and delete the last line of many statements.

If people weren't so stupid and took the whole argument into account then I wouldn't have to worry about editing my responses.^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

mconder
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
"Give me liberty or give me death" is also an emotional comment, but effective. If we are going to stay engaged we need to make this personal, so not every comment needs to be straight data. Calling the IRS a bunch of blood sucking Nazis stirs emotion in people, which can be a good thing.

amonasro
08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Exactly, if you present facts without personal digs you will be much better off.

nullvalu
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
going back to the days of telnet and BBSes.

Sweet dude, off-topic, but I run BBSmates.com (http://bbsmates.com)..

Buzz
08-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Exactly, if you present facts without personal digs you will be much better off.

Yes. Your opponents can't derail the debate by attacking those little comments and ignoring your facts if the comments are nowhere to be found. Never leave any sort of escape route in your messages; force them to either acklowledge your facts or admit defeat in silence.

nullvalu
08-08-2007, 10:47 AM
that is also a great tip - i've been catching myself and taking out the last line "zinger" quite often lately.. :D

pyrazole2
08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Good tip, certainly! At least for those neoconazi flaming forum mongers. lol.