PDA

View Full Version : All of this has gone COMPLETELY over my head.

Matthew Zak
02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
I passionately want Ron Paul to win, but the further we go along, the more terms I've never heard before, the more weird rules that don't make any sense show up on my screen. 3 months ago I was certain that I would do anything it took to help Ron Paul get elected, but when I'm not at work, I'm trying to get to sleep so I'm not a zombie the next day at work -- I don't have time to take a 50-course lesson in politics, or read 10,000 emails about how to vote. Voting shouldn't be rocket science, and yet, here it is, super tuesday, and I don't know what the HELL is going on. I have no yet voted, because I just got home from work. Can I vote at the caucus? What the hell is a caucus? What am I supposed to do there? I'm going, and I'm bringing 300 slim jims that my mom is going to help my pass around (if we're allowed to do that). I see all these precincts reporting their numbers and it's scaring me that I don't get to vote. This whole process has discouraged me greatly and pissed me off to no end. Here's how voting should be done: One peice of paper. All the candidates name. Vote once. Done.

WTF is this?

AlbemarleNC0003
02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Are you advocating taking power away from the states in the form of a national primary?

AgentOrange
02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I have no idea, but good luck!

diesirae
02-05-2008, 06:35 PM
You should probably mention what state you're in.

Matthew Zak
02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Are you advocating taking power away from the states in the form of a national primary?

You expect me to know how to answer that question? lol

MaidenFan
02-05-2008, 06:37 PM
A caucus is where all the people gather and select delegates and also take a straw poll. What state are you in? Why don't u try contacting your local RP office via phone, I'm sure they could provide you with all the details.

josh24601
I passionately want Ron Paul to win, but the further we go along, the more terms I've never heard before, the more weird rules that don't make any sense show up on my screen. 3 months ago I was certain that I would do anything it took to help Ron Paul get elected, but when I'm not at work, I'm trying to get to sleep so I'm not a zombie the next day at work -- I don't have time to take a 50-course lesson in politics, or read 10,000 emails about how to vote. Voting shouldn't be rocket science, and yet, here it is, super tuesday, and I don't know what the HELL is going on. I have no yet voted, because I just got home from work. Can I vote at the caucus? What the hell is a caucus? What am I supposed to do there? I'm going, and I'm bringing 300 slim jims that my mom is going to help my pass around (if we're allowed to do that). I see all these precincts reporting their numbers and it's scaring me that I don't get to vote. This whole process has discouraged me greatly and pissed me off to no end. Here's how voting should be done: One peice of paper. All the candidates name. Vote once. Done.

WTF is this?

Sounds like you've done a lot of preparation here.

My God, drink a beer, breathe in, then out, and repeat until calm.

Then log back on, tell us what state you actually live in.

Seriously, 900+ posts since October and you didn't figure out how to vote in your state?

Matthew Zak
Minnesota

Shed
You could have researched this freely available information before it was almost too late.

Soccrmastr
02-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Contact the HQ for your state, they should be able tot ell you what to do exactly.

idiom
You should probably mention what state you're in.

The Grand state of Distress Obviously.

Joe3113
The complicated systems favor us in a way.

It's a constitutional republic, NOT a democracy.

Matthew Zak
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Contact the HQ for your state, they should be able tot ell you what to do exactly.

If I type "Minnesota HQ" will I find the right number? lol... I told you... over my head.

Forefall
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I hate that there are parties, personally. I want all candidates to have equal time, equal voice, and be on the SAME FLOOR. Why do they not debate together until there's one left of each party?

It's a fucking ludicrous way we do things, this isn't the NFL.

Matthew Zak
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
You could have researched this freely available information before it was almost too late.

I tried... the words looked like Chinese numbers written in mathematical formulas. I have a malfunction in my brain that doesn't allow me to concentrate on things that are more boring than watching paint dry. And working all the time has effectively burnt me out. All I ever do is work and sleep. I can't think. Hell, I'm even at work when I'm dreaming.

AlbemarleNC0003
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
You expect me to know how to answer that question? lol

Well the reason for having all the states with different primaries and caucuses is that each state gets to set their rules for how they send delegates to the national conference. No two states are exactly alike. That's how it should be. There is no national election, not even in the end. It's the states that vote technically, not the people. It's why we are a Republic and not a Democracy.

It is confusing for sure. Just when I think I have it figured out someone throws in a comment about bound/unbound delegates and I have to rethink it all over again.

Learning is fun. Have a beer. Relax.

pahs1994
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
i don't know what time zone Minn. is in but i looked at their super tuesday boards and a caucuses start at 7. its 7:41 in the east so you need to get a move on! find out your polling location and go!! find someone that looks like they support RP and tag along with them and maybe they can help you

pinkmandy
02-05-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/states/minnesota/

You have 20 mins to get to your precinct. Talk about RP with the other caucus goers. Ask to be a delegate. Stick around til the VERY end so you can follow through. Find another RP supporter while you are there to help you learn the ropes. JUST GO. NOW. Starts at 7pm.

rajibo
02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
All these questions should have been asked 900 posts ago.

Sorry. :o

RonRules
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Considering you've posted 925 times, I would say you MIGHT be a slow learner.

Don't worry though, there are no butterfly ballots in Minnesota.

Truth Warrior
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM

WTF is this?

See, you got it after all. :)

TSOL
02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
The whole process is comical, right on down to the last day when the Popular Vote loses to the Electoral

gpickett00
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah, 926 posts and you cant figure it out?

Tranz
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Way to support people in their time of need.. Some people on this board, are huge assholes.

pahs1994
02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
hasn't posted in a while, that could be a good thing. i hope he got there in time...

Soccrmastr
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
hasn't posted in a while, that could be a good thing. i hope he got there in time...

lol he got lost on the way there