PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

Exarel
02-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Is it legal to stand outside the voting place and give RP slimjims?

RoyalShock
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
For a primary, probably not. There is usually a "no politicking" zone around a polling place.

At a caucus, probably. But check to see if it's actually allowed INSIDE the room.

doyle
02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Not in Alabama. Just got back from my precinct. I help signs with slim jims. Here you just have to be 30 feet from the entrance.

Jimmy
02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I think there is 150 ft rule.....or as close as you can get without a poll worker running you off ....Make them break out a measuring tape :D

plb
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw Hillary supporters handing them out here in NYC even though it says no loitering..voting here.

danberkeley
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I think there is 150 ft rule.....or as close as you can get without a poll worker running you off ....Make them break out a measuring tape :D

what if your house is right next door? either way, this is an obvious violation of freedom of speech.

kutibah
02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
what if your house is right next door? either way, this is an obvious violation of freedom of speech.

I'm sure if you're on your private property they cannot do anything to you no matter how close you are. But I'm also pretty sure that voting places are not that close to private property.

Monotaur
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM

I don't agree. As much as I think everyone needs to vote for Ron Paul for their own good ( :) ), I think that there needs to be a neutral zone for voting, including a reasonable area for people to have room to enter the polling place. If it weren't this way, think of the extreme of the opposite case - people forcing you vote for their candidate, etc.

That being said, in Missouri they call it "Electioneering" if you hand out material (or even wear a button or hat) inside 25 feet away from the main entrance.

danberkeley
02-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I think that there needs to be a neutral zone for voting, including a reasonable area for people to have room to enter the polling place. If it weren't this way, think of the extreme of the opposite case - people forcing you vote for their candidate, etc.

that neutral zone should be the polling place itself plus any public property (i.e. sidewalk, stop signs, the street). but no one has to walk through your house to get to the polling place

Revolutn
02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Laws vary.

Here in IL I even had one of the State candidates Politk herself to me outside the polling place.

She was standing on the sidwalk leading to the door from the parking lot, no way to avoid her.

But our laws are 100ft from the entrance of the polling place, so while she pissed me off, she didn't break any laws.

Rev

Acidlump
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Usually 100 feet away is good