PDA

View Full Version : Passionless Support for the Opposition

Maltheus
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
We've all been working hard for so long to make a good showing today. For so long, I've been dealing with people who were undecided, had no preference and didn't have any particular issues that they cared about. Now, all of a sudden, many people have chosen sides (either Romney or McCain) yet they still can't identify the issues they care about. Or they say they're for McCain because they're concerned about the economy and want to reign in government spending. :rolleyes: I now see yard signs going up everywhere for the other candidates, whereas there were only Ron Paul signs before.

All of these Johnny-come-latelys who just got into the game, with nary an opinion in their heads, are coming in now to undo all of our hard work. They have no passion for their candidates but the media told them it's important to vote and who to vote for and that's that. In a great many cases, they don't even like the candidate that they're supporting. It wouldn't be so bad if we were losing an ideological battle but it's only an ideological battle when both sides have an ideology.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by all of this. If anything, I'm a little more surprised by the fact that there are so many people who feel the same as I do. I don't know, sorry for the pointless thread, just needed to vent a little. This campaign was a lot of fun and I needed it. But I guess it's back to setting up lawn chairs and watching the economy collapse.

flames2dust77
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Why are you sorry? I have felt the same way you have about the late starters. I usually ask why they support their candidate....and I get that nice long uncomfortable silence thing. So yeah...I get offended when I've been busting my ass since the summertime and these folks come right in; not knowing the issues, they haven't really done anything to support their candidate, haven't donated, haven't gotten out and canvassed until their feet and backs hurt so bad...nothing. Vent away...we feel your pain.

tomveil
02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by all of this. If anything, I'm a little more surprised by the fact that there are so many people who feel the same as I do. I don't know, sorry for the pointless thread, just needed to vent a little. This campaign was a lot of fun and I needed it. But I guess it's back to setting up lawn chairs and watching the economy collapse.

Sucks, huh?

Although I think a 3rd party run is a million to one, I'm not ready to give up. I'm not taking down my signs or removing my bumper stickers, no matter who gets elected.

One of my republican "assossiates" came in the store the other day. "Ron Paul, huh? You know he's goin nowhere."

I wanted to punch him in the face.

Instead I said "That's ok. I'll be able to sleep at night while the rest of the country votes in Hillary or McCain. And while the country continues to go to shit over the next 4 years, maybe you'll realize that we were right all along."

Libertytree
02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
We're still in this dude, by a longshot. Don't get discouraged, get pissed and work all the harder.

RoyalShock
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
The only wasted vote is an uninformed one.

gjdavis60
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
This is the current state of American politics. This is what we are trying to change. We can't change the way we think about government until we change the way we think about politics. Change will happen one person at a time as they realize that our message makes too much sense to ignore. But we have to keep the message in front of people; keep them hearing it, or our movement will die.

Maltheus
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
We're still in this dude, by a longshot. Don't get discouraged, get pissed and work all the harder.

That's what I've been doing these last few weeks. But I'm heading to my caucus in a couple hours so there isn't anything more to work for.

Assuming my people show up and I get elected a delegate, there will be preparation for the county conventions, but that's about it for me. Our group will probably hang till the end of the month, when our local office lease is up but so many are moving on to plan B (moving out of the country / off the grid).

Jeremy
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
We know more about the candidates than the people that support the candidates.

fj45lvr
02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
take care of your personal world. and start making target practice a priority.

It's all about ready to "hit the fan"... food is a more valuable commodity than silver and gold. being away from urban areas is a big plus.