PDA

View Full Version : A Brokered Convention is a win!

Pauls' Revere
02-05-2008, 04:41 PM
We stay in this to the end. RP has always said think LONG HAUL ppl. This link explains Brokered Conventions to some degree. I imagine details emmerge as the time gets closer. We have a real shot, just think Long Haul.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/horseraceblog/2008/01/looking_ahead_to_the_republica.html

If Huck takes delegates from McRomney and we get 3 cooool.

:D

Pauls' Revere
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh,
We need to start thinking about a strategy for a brokered convention is anyone on that?

ClayTrainor
02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Yea, now that i understand howt he delegate situation works, My hope has been rekindled.

I firmly believe we still have a serious shot at getting Ron Paul elected through a brokered convention

AlbemarleNC0003
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh,
We need to start thinking about a strategy for a brokered convention is anyone on that?

http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates/2008/02/04/super-tuesday-and-beyond/

Already done.

Pauls' Revere
02-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Absolutely! remember 3 delegates not in the hands of McRomney is better for the USA! Take any and all delgates we can get!

Pauls' Revere
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates/2008/02/04/super-tuesday-and-beyond/

Already done.

Whew! I feel much better.
thxs,

Bruehound
Deadlocked Convention
neither Romney or McCain acceptable
Romney not trusted by Pro Life.
McCain not trusted by anti illegal immigration activists.
RNC internal polling shows pro war candidate destroys Republican Party all the way down the ticket.

Kingmaker Ron
Nobody will get Ron's delegates without Ron's blessing.
RP presents a consensus candidate to re-unite and heal the party.
Establishment allowed to save face.
Gov Mark Sanford accepts his call to duty.
Evangelicals back in the fold.

SANFORD / PAUL

The Revolution wins.

AlbemarleNC0003
Whew! I feel much better.
thxs,

It's been the plan all along. The GOP will either come together or will implode at the Convention.

crhoades
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Deadlocked Convention
RNC internal polling shows pro war candidate destroys Republican Party all the way down the ticket.

Kingmaker Ron

SANFORD / PAUL

The Revolution wins.

Possibly one of the best posts I've read on this board.

Paul10
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM

seeker1
02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Sounds a little like the Orwellian DoubleSpeak.

Losing is Winning. :rolleyes:

derekjohnson
02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't see it happening. Most likely McCain will have it all but wrapped up tomorrow and the last remainig states will fall in order behind him. t happens ever election cycle, once a candidate gets a huge lead other state turns into lemmings and jumps off the cliff witht he early states.

blakjak
02-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Deadlocked Convention

Kingmaker Ron

SANFORD / PAUL

The Revolution wins.

come on man.. don't get my hopes up!

blakjak
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Most likely McCain will have it all but wrapped up tomorrow and the last remainig states will fall in order behind him.

yeah, thats what i've been hearing in the media as well

utrunner07
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Why do you think Romney's, Huck's, and McCain's delegates would go to Paul? They'd vote pro-war any day over getting out of Iraq.

off topic kind of, but if it does come down to the convention, Ron Paul should say he supports finishing Iraq but after that go into his nonintervention once Iraq is relatively settled. I think if he did this he wins hands down. Any thought? I know its not popular but I think if he did this he would be THE republican candidate.

Redcard
02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
off topic kind of, but if it does come down to the convention, Ron Paul should say he supports finishing Iraq but after that go into his nonintervention once Iraq is relatively settled. I think if he did this he wins hands down. Any thought? I know its not popular but I think if he did this he would be THE republican candidate.

It's too late to say that now.

It'd look like waffling/pandering.. and would be snatched upon as a sign of weakness.

We've made our bed with this strategy. We have to hope we can kingmake or get the delegates behind the scenes to get the VP spot.

Maltheus
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
According to that article, a brokered convention is highly unlikely in the event of a two-way tie. Huck will probably drop out, leaving it to a two-way tie (essentially). We may stay in order to speak at the convention, but it's not going to magically turn into a win for us. We won't get anything from the rank and file. I'm sorry.

spivey378
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
iraq will hopefully be over by the time the next president is in office

i was all about the surge and it was needed. rumsfeld was an idiot and went in with too little troops. jan of 2009 is perfect for withdrawing. it will be hard work for the next year, then the training wheels are off

Rede
02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Oh,

Lets see how many delegates McCain gets tonight then talk. For now, focus on getting out the vote. Call one person now and get them to vote. Overall, it will make a difference.

Libertytree
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
There's still 20 or so states left to vote, that's ALOT of votes yet to be counted. The game is still young.....play on.

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Already done.

Unfortunately, Debbie doesn't really have the rules down:

"There are two battles to be fought in every primary state. The first is to win the primary. The second is to win the delegates. Since the delegates are only bound to the primary results in the early rounds of voting at the Republican National Convention, in a brokered convention with several rounds of voting, Ron Paul delegates will be free to vote for — of course — Ron Paul."

In some states, delegates are not bound at all (or at least some of them), while in other states delegates are bound until released. There are still requirements to be able to be nominated on any ballot.

No worries, though--the grassroots are on top of it!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104384

There are repeated posts about Dr. Paul becoming the Republican presidential nominee in a brokered convention. Most of them are promoting bad information. Here are the actual rules (http://www.gop.com/images/2008_Call_FINAL.pdf):

Rules "binding" delegates are determined by the states (http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf): some delegates are not bound at all, others for the first few votes (first, second or third), while other states bind their delegates until they are released.

In order to be eligible to be nominated at all [RNC Rule 40(b) (http://www.gop.com/About/Rules31-41.htm)], one requirement is to win the majority of delegates in five states (including DC and territories, RNC Rule 27 (http://www.gop.com/About/Rules21-30.htm)).

Bradley in DC
02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
There's still 20 or so states left to vote, that's ALOT of votes yet to be counted. The game is still young.....play on.

Plenty of time for a McCain meltdown in public--the guy isn't the most stable one in the race.

mketcher
02-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Anything can happen in 7 months. In the last 7 months, McCain went from has-been to front-runner; Giuliani went from front-runner to has-been. Ron Paul went from unknown to top Repulican fundraiser. Fred Thompson went from the great Conservative hope to political irrelevance. The next seven months, leading up to the convention, will bring more surprises. Anything could happen. McCain is an old man -- and that puffy neck of his scares me. I don't know if he's got swollen lymph nodes or clogged carotid arteries or what, but he doesn't look healthy. Ron Paul, even though older, looks much younger and is lean and mean. He's a long-distance runner. He's ready to go the distance in this election. McCain doesn't look like he can go the distance. For all we know, he could have a stroke or a heart attack before the convention. Then where would things be?