PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Paul claims delegates in West Virginia

skiingff
02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/02/paul_claims_del.html

Says the Huckabee campaign has yet to confirm the deal.

But Reason magazine explains it:

A Huckabee-Paul Deal in West Virginia

David Weigel | February 5, 2008, 4:46pm
I just spoke with a source inside the West Virginia Paul campaign and got some insight into the decision to push their votes to Huckabee. "There are two dynamics in West Virginia," the source said, "the national dynamic and the local dynamic. The local dynamic is frustration with a GOP establishment that doesn't believe in freedom and liberty but mouths support for those ideals in order to win elections." This, he explained, was the common cause between compassionate conservative Huckabee supporters and libertarian Paul supporters.

Both Paul supporters and Huckabee supporters were angry at a convention process that seemed to be rigged for Romney. So after the first balloting, when they were knocked out of the running, Paul delegates met in a room to hear arguments for supporting one of the remaining candidates. Huckabee's supporters offered a deal: If Huckabee won the convention, three members of his delegate slate would resign. Responsibility for replacing those delegates goes not to the state party or national party but to the winner of the convention. Thus, Huckabee's campaign would replace the three delegates with three Ron Paul delegates.

"This was a gentlemen's agreement," my source said. "We're going to trust but verify."

The Paul campaign is confident enough in the deal to go live with a press release on it.
http://reason.com/blog/show/124817.html

virginiakid
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
This is why it was good that the campaign put out this press release because of this type of shenanigans.

Agora
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
huckie, remember who Dante puts in 9th circle ...:D

AlbemarleNC0003
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Sweet. A Ron Paul article with the lesser known candidates at the bottom. :D

LibertyOrDie
02-05-2008, 04:48 PM
huckie, remember who Dante puts in 9th circle ...:D

Good Form! - ;)

"The gods too are fond of a joke." - Aristotle

kirkblitz
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
huck will probably screw us over

bbachtung
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
huck will probably screw us over

Now, now, don't forget Huckabee's big "honor" reply to Ron Paul's Iraq withdrawal argument. Besides, God hates liars.

clintontj72
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
http://ronpaul2008.typepad.com/ron_paul_2008/2008/02/ron-paul-secure.html

Ron Paul Secures Three Delegates in West Virginia State Convention

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 5, 2008

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – In today’s West Virginia Republican State Convention, Republican candidate Ron Paul’s campaign secured three of the 18 national delegates up for grabs.

“Our goal is to secure as many delegates to the national GOP convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul as possible,” said Ron Paul 2008 campaign manager Lew Moore. “Securing three delegates in West Virginia is an important step in that direction. We plan on locking up more delegates before the day ends.”

In an agreement first reported by West Virginia television station WSAZ, the three Ron Paul delegates were secured through an agreement with the Mike Huckabee campaign.

Ron Paul delegates to the state convention swung their support to Huckabee – putting Huckabee over the top – after Congressman Paul was eliminated in the first round of voting. With three national delegates, Ron Paul secured 17 percent of the 18 delegates that were decided at the State Convention.

danberkeley
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
who cares if huckabee screw's us over. it better than romney or mccain getting the delegates. remember, we're aiming for a brokered national convention.

transistor
02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
i wouldn't trust him farther than i could throw him... and that's not very far

Mental Dribble
02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I think the huck camp will keep its word. For what its worth.

jdmetz
02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
If Huckabee screws us over now, it will be nationally known that he reneged on the deal that won him WV.

lasenorita
02-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Just an aside: we better make sure that the three RP delegates are truly RP supporters. Yes, I'm paranoid. :D