PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best we can do? My vote better count!!!

The New Revere
02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
My experience from voting today.

I'm in Sherman Oaks,CA

My girlfriend and I both changed affiliation in mid December to vote for Ron Paul. To date I never recieved a sample ballot, confirmation, etc.

To be safe I called the Registrar last night and confirmed I was registered at the correct adress and party afilliation.
We went to vote this morning.

After being told "your not on this roster' and being shuffled to every table there, we realized that 7 weeks apparently wasn't enough time to make it onto a computer printout. Pathetic.

We then insisted we had the right to vote. No one knew what to do.
Finally after raising hell, a person who seemed to be in authority came to the table we were supposed to get our ballot from and told them we should get a provisional ballot.

After filling it out and enclosing it in the envelope, the woman was about to drop them in the provisional container. Another woman came just in time and shouted "WAIT!!" you didn't fill out the outside part. She then asked for the serial number from my ballot ticket and filled in the rest of the info. This is the person running the entire provisional table!!!!!

The only thing that made me feel any better was that she told me to put the ballot in the container myself. When I couldn't reach the assistant said "here, you can't reach, i'll get it for you"
The other replied "I know it's a reach but i think the voters would like to be sure they know the ballot actually gets put in the box and can verify it for themselves. People like to know the vote counted".

We live in the most powerfull nation on earth and this dog and pony show is how we elect our president? That damn ballot better get counted!!!

wolv275
02-05-2008, 04:41 PM
same exact scenario for me in Pomona, CA. I did get my ticket receipt though... pheewww

bbachtung
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
My experience from voting today.

I'm in Sherman Oaks,CA

My girlfriend and I both changed affiliation in mid December to vote for Ron Paul. To date I never recieved a sample ballot, confirmation, etc.

To be safe I called the Registrar last night and confirmed I was registered at the correct adress and party afilliation.
We went to vote this morning.

After being told "your not on this roster' and being shuffled to every table there, we realized that 7 weeks apparently wasn't enough time to make it onto a computer printout. Pathetic.

We then insisted we had the right to vote. No one knew what to do.
Finally after raising hell, a person who seemed to be in authority came to the table we were supposed to get our ballot from and told them we should get a provisional ballot.

After filling it out and enclosing it in the envelope, the woman was about to drop them in the provisional container. Another woman came just in time and shouted "WAIT!!" you didn't fill out the outside part. She then asked for the serial number from my ballot ticket and filled in the rest of the info. This is the person running the entire provisional table!!!!!

The only thing that made me feel any better was that she told me to put the ballot in the container myself. When I couldn't reach the assistant said "here, you can't reach, i'll get it for you"
The other replied "I know it's a reach but i think the voters would like to be sure they know the ballot actually gets put in the box and can verify it for themselves. People like to know the vote counted".

We live in the most powerfull nation on earth and this dog and pony show is how we elect our president? That damn ballot better get counted!!!

Thank you for voting and going out of your way to vote for RP and liberty.

First, read the following page at the California Secretary of State's website re: provisional ballots: http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_provisional.htm

Second, here is the phone number to call to verify whether your provisional ballot was counted in Los Angeles County: (800) 815-2666 option 3

Those of you in other counties in California, check out this PDF to find out whether you need to call a phone number or visit a website to verify the counting of your provisional ballot: http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/feb08_freeaccesssystem.pdf

Cali4RonPaul
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
That sucks, My experience in Alta Loma i.e Rancho Cucamonga went well they were all nice and helpful, the last person who helped me submit my ballot in the box was a Ron Paul supporter.. but not entirely sure because as they are not allowed to say, though he did look like he was for RP and talked as one from what I thought I heard.

dan barry
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I had the same experience too. I switched to Republican a month ago,...yet I wasn't on any of their lists. They encouraged me to leave(i was wearing a Ron Paul shirt). Then they said I wasn't in the right neighborhood, and I promptly said "I LIVE ACROSS THE FUCKING STREET!!", ...i didn't swear or yell, but thats what i kinda said in between the lines. They finally agreed to let me fill out the provisional ballots. buncha' crap...unprofessional old geezers runnin' the joint.

Winston
02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
buncha' crap...unprofessional old geezers runnin' the joint.

McCain Supporters.

:cool:

http://punchup.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/john_mccain.jpg

The New Revere
02-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Apparently my experience is not uncommon. Looks like it's shaping up to be Louisianna the second.

http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates/2008/02/05/for-california-and-other-closed-republican-primaries/

bschwand
02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
similar thing here. got the documentation with sample ballot, everything. Show up there and we are not on the roster.

Had to fill a provisional ballot too.

Are we supposed to get a receipt in that case ?

Got nothing in return.

The New Revere
02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Yes, the top of your ballot should be torn off for you to keep with it's serial number on it.

Lord Xar
02-05-2008, 07:04 PM
A buddies wife had the same thing happen.

She was an independant, switched in nov/dev. Yet, when she went there today they still listed her as an an independent. They wouldn't give her a provisional and wouldn't allow her to vote republican.

MrsW
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
All I can say is I'm sure glad I'm a perm. absentee voter. I didn't change party affiliation until a week before the deadline and I got everything by the end of January. Hubby and I both voted for RP and mailed our ballots a week ago or more. Here in Alameda county, we can check our registration status and our ballot status (whether it was received or not) online. So my experience was great!

Ron Paul in 2008
02-05-2008, 08:05 PM
I just voted. I was registered as an absentee voter and they sent me a "sample" ballot only. So I went to vote and they said I needed to fill out a provisional ballot so they can make sure I didn't vote twice. I asked them about the sample ballot and they said I needed to receive an official ballot.

My mom messed up the polling place and will not vote be able to cast her vote for Dr. Paul. However, my sister and dad are going to vote for Paul right now. :)

While I was there I was being interviewed by an exit poller and I heard some lady saying she is not voting for Paul because of his crazy foreign policy. :mad:

Are we supposed to get a receipt in that case ?

Got nothing in return.

Yup. They gave me like two types of receipts.

Caravello
02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
I live right down the street from Sherman Oaks and I never had a problem.