PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dobson: ' I Cannot, and Will Not, Vote for Sen. John McCain'

salinaspaul
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Dr. Dobson: ' I Cannot, and Will Not, Vote for Sen. John McCain'

As voters in 24 states head to the polls today to choose a presidential nominee, Dr. James Dobson released a statement to The Laura Ingraham Show today. He stated his personal opinions of this critical election:

"I am deeply disappointed the Republican Party seems poised to select a nominee who did not support a Constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage, voted for embryonic stem-cell research to kill nascent human beings, opposed tax cuts that ended the marriage penalty, has little regard for freedom of speech, organized the Gang of 14 to preserve filibusters in judicial hearings, and has a legendary temper and often uses foul and obscene language.

"I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes of those who are. He has sounded at times more like a member of the other party. McCain actually considered leaving the GOP caucus in 2001, and approached John Kerry about being Kerry's running mate in 2004. McCain also said publicly that Hillary Clinton would make a good president. Given these and many other concerns, a spoonful of sugar does NOT make the medicine go down. I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience.

"But what a sad and melancholy decision this is for me and many other conservatives. Should Sen. McCain capture the nomination as many assume, I believe this general election will offer the worst choices for president in my lifetime. I certainly can't vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama based on their virulently anti-family policy positions. If these are the nominees in November, I simply will not cast a ballot for president for the first time in my life. These decisions are my personal views and do not represent the organization with which I am affiliated. They do reflect my deeply held convictions about the institution of the family, about moral and spiritual beliefs, and about the welfare of our country."

Around noon today, Dr. Dobson talked to national talk-show host Dennis Prager. He made it clear he was not endorsing anyone.

"Dr. Dobson's statement speaks for itself," said Gary Schneeberger, vice president of media relations for Focus on the Family Action. "He made it as a private citizen, and it reflects his personal opinion of Sen. McCain's candidacy and record. People can read into it what they like; all I see is his own personal 'straight talk' regarding why he can't vote for one candidate."

FOR MORE INFORMATION
The next live Focus on the Family Action webcast is at 11:30 a.m. ET (8:30 PT) Wednesday. Guests Tom Minnery of Focus Action, Tony Perkins of FRC Action and others will discuss the impact of values voters on Super Tuesday. Visit CitizenLink.com . Watch previous webcasts here .
As America decides which candidates will be nominated to run for president, it's important to consider where they stand on pro-family issues. This candidate commentary is made of segments taken from live webcasts produced by Focus on the Family Action.

(Paid for by Focus on the Family Action.)

angrydragon
02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
He doesn't know of Ron Paul?

Lisa S
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I wrote letters to alot of Christian organizations but, to no avail Ron Paul is anti-war and I guess these days that means anti-Christian who would have thunk it?

Alabama Supporter
02-05-2008, 04:20 PM
The Christians at my church love war. I won't sterotype too much, but it is a grave dissapointment that the followers of the Prince of Peace loves war.

dsentell
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
He doesn't know of Ron Paul?

Yes, I have contacted him (I am sure others have as well). I received an email back saying that he would not support anyone, but that he would vote for the lesser of the evils.

thehittgirl
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
The Christians at my church love war. I won't sterotype too much, but it is a grave dissapointment that the followers of the Prince of Peace loves war.

Would you dare wear a shirt that says, "Who would Jesus Bomb?" I contemplate it a lot. I think in my church, we have a mixed bag of opinions when it comes to the war.

Truth Warrior
02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." -- Mahatma Gandhi

TurtleBurger
02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Dobson already anti-endorsed Giuliani and Thompson, and they're now out of the race. Hopefully this will help slow down McCain.

liberteebell
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
War is not pro-life.

Staupostek
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Yes, I have contacted him (I am sure others have as well). I received an email back saying that he would not support anyone, but that he would vote for the lesser of the evils.

Of course, because the lesser of two evils will give him the big government he wants to control all of our lives. Ron Paul would actually let people live their own lives and that is the last thing people like Dobson want.

Matt Collins
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113624

But I think he went back.