PDA

View Full Version : UK gets Official Libertarian party

mkpdavies
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
http://libertarianpartyonline.org/

I believe Ron Paul helped make this happen. I joned the new party today!

Rebel Resource
02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
nice, they better want to cancel Bank of England independency

Mystile
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
nice, I hope they pick up steam.

Shink
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow, that is awesome! I think they could use a forum. That would help them coordinate a la Meetup and generate interest. I wish I could submit suggestions to them. Anyone else think they're waiting for their copies of Ron's new book before completing their site's "Manifesto?" :D

RochesterRyan
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
thats awesome

phixion
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
That's silly, and I'm from the UK.

Pete

mkpdavies
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe there is a forum. Maybe it is covert!

:cool:

Mordan
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
It is great and my father is English.

Shink
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
That's silly, and I'm from the UK.

Pete

Could you clarify why?

Radiofoot
02-06-2008, 03:28 AM
This campaign's been very inspiring for me, and something like this could be the perfect medium for me to channel my efforts.

Let's hope they're really serious about this taking off. There'd be a HUGE chance of this being successful in the UK, and hopefully an international movement could really start something... BIG!

Radiofoot
02-06-2008, 03:29 AM
http://libertarianpartyonline.org/forum/

A bit of index browsing never did anyone harm ;)

athlon64bit
02-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Fantastic for us Brits!!!

Radio, how did you find the link to the forum. I couldn't find it on their main website. Just wondering.

Ross

Drknows
02-06-2008, 06:33 AM
this is awesome guys.

phixion
02-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Could you clarify why?

Because they called it the liberterian party.

It's a party for individual rights and liberty's, which are being eroded in Britain. This needs to be implicit and obvious in the name of the party.

Heck, even "Your Rights Party" would be better.

Liberterian means nothing. It won't get press. No-one will understand the principle. It's not bite-size or digestable enough... it's far too complicated and easy to dismiss as kooky..........no-one from the general public will catch the fever needed to rally behind it......... it's dead in the water with NO chance of reasonable success EVER..... which is why I won't be a part of it.

Pete

Radiofoot
02-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Fantastic for us Brits!!!

Radio, how did you find the link to the forum. I couldn't find it on their main website. Just wondering.

Ross

Guessed :p

It's amazing what you can find when you mess about with the URL a little bit.

Radiofoot
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Because they called it the liberterian party.

It's a party for individual rights and liberty's, which are being eroded in Britain. This needs to be implicit and obvious in the name of the party.

Heck, even "Your Rights Party" would be better.

Liberterian means nothing. It won't get press. No-one will understand the principle. It's not bite-size or digestable enough... it's far too complicated and easy to dismiss as kooky..........no-one from the general public will catch the fever needed to rally behind it......... it's dead in the water with NO chance of reasonable success EVER..... which is why I won't be a part of it.

Pete

With those catchy names though you run the risk of sounding too much like an amateurish, single issue party. If the support and message is strong enough, it'll break through and the name won't be as important. Libertarian fits in nicely with Conservative, Liberal and Labour.

You should at least give it a try, there seems to be nothing better on offer at the moment. All the other parties are too busy fighting amongst each other.

hawks4ronpaul
02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Good luck, some of us might need a new place to live.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

expatinireland
02-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Congrats and good luck!

Mattsa
02-06-2008, 05:51 PM
They haven't published a manifesto yet

They might be a bunch of lunatics. Too early to tell

Mystile
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Good luck, some of us might need a new place to live.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

trust me, the UK isn't any better than the US at the moment. Most spied on citizens in the world are in the UK :eek:

DirtMcGirt
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Awesome...

karenflower
02-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the link!! I've joined :)

JohnM
02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
They haven't published a manifesto yet

They might be a bunch of lunatics. Too early to tell

I'm being cautious about this one, too. Who are these people?

Some of the stuff on the website is pretty encouraging, though when I read the words "Unfortunately for the politicians, we, the voting public, aren't stupid " I did think that these people were a bit optimistic.

trust me, the UK isn't any better than the US at the moment.

No, definitely not. In some ways, a lot more depressing.

mkpdavies
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I know one of the founders. He is no lunatic and is a Libertarian to the core.

He also has a popular blog called The Devils Kitchen. Massive amounts of contempt for the old school politicians!

It is early days, but at 10 quid for membership, I have taken the plunge.

JohnM
02-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Matt

I've read the Devils Kitchen.

My view is that there is no need for anyone to use language like that. I can understand someone swearing in a moment of frustration. But my personal opinion is that anyone who chooses to use unpleasant and offensive language on a blog has some sort of major personal problem.

I'm libertarian enough to respect a person's right to blog like that, or their right to hate blacks or Jews. But would I vote for someone who did? Well, I might if I didn't have a problem with the policies they advocated. But I would not do so with great enthusiasm.

coblin
02-08-2008, 03:25 AM
I think the naming of the party should be carefully decided based on the political landscape of your country. If you have a Labour and Conservative party, why not a Liberal party?

In Australia, we have Liberal, Labor and Greens. The libertarian party is called "Liberty and Democracy Party." It's too long, and it should be called the Freedom Party.

By the way, I mean "classical liberal," not the modern corrupted sense of the word. Australia's Liberal Party is centre-right.

JohnM
02-08-2008, 04:16 AM
If you have a Labour and Conservative party, why not a Liberal party?

The UK does have a Liberal Party. They are what remains of a large Liberal Party, which merged with the Social Democrats in 1988 to form what are now the Liberal Democrats.

So small is the Liberal Party that when one speaks of the Liberal Party, most people will assume that you mean the Liberal Democrats.

down-under
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I think the naming of the party should be carefully decided based on the political landscape of your country. If you have a Labour and Conservative party, why not a Liberal party?

In Australia, we have Liberal, Labor and Greens. The libertarian party is called "Liberty and Democracy Party." It's too long, and it should be called the Freedom Party.

By the way, I mean "classical liberal," not the modern corrupted sense of the word. Australia's Liberal Party is centre-right.

Hey Fellow Australian.

You might know it but there is a story behind the long and akward "liberty and democracy party" name. The party was originally called Liberal democratic party (LDP). A name which would have given the party many votes, But the nanny Australian electoral commission forced the party to change the name to not "confuse" people that may have thought that the party was connected to the libs.